U.S. women's 400 future looking up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. women's 400 future looking up!

I was just looking at my [email protected] News and I couldn't help but see how many young 400 meter runners and 400 hurdlers we have that are potentially silver-gold medal types. We haven't been strong lately in these events. I really believe we have the future of these events in our colleges right now. I'll name a couple. Sanya Richards, enough said!,Dee Dee Trotter, a pleasant suprise. You add these girls to a group that includes Sheena Johnson(UCLA 400H),Raasin McIntosh(UT 400H),LeShinda Demus(USC-east 400H),Stephanie Smith(USC-east bound),and the wonder kid Allison Felix(USC-west bound). Allison is more of a 200 type,but I know she can rip a blazing 400 split.This also bodes well for our ladies 4x400 relay in the future.

Re: U.S. women's 400 future looking up!

It's been looking up for the past year or so. USA had four high schoolers who went sub-53 outdoors this year, more than any other nation: Stephanie Smith 52.04, Allyson Felix 52.26, Jasmine Lee 52.52, & Jerrika Chapple (who was featured in SI's "Faces in the Crowd" last week) 52.77, & Jasmine Lee.

Don't forget Angel Perkins (52.06 PB at USA Juniors), who is at Arizona. Although she hasn't excited us lately, world junior champ Monique Henderson of UCLA can't be ruled out either if she gets her act together. More immediately, it will be interesting to see what the South Carolina graduates (Demetria Washington, Lisa & Miki Barber) produce.

Whether any of these ladies is a future low 49-pointer or faster remains to be seen.

Comment

Working...
    X