Webb out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Webb out

David Monti is reporting that Webb is out with a burst appendix.

Re: Webb out

Bummer, I guess.

Comment

Are you his appendix actually BURST? A ruptured appendix will KILL you! More likely he just had appendicitis and had to get the organ removed... I wouldn't think that would keep him out for too long though.

Comment

The reports say that it burst.

Comment

It is as if the Gods and fate are working against Alan Webb. What is next next alien abduction?

Comment

Appendicitis usually follows a viral infection of the digestive system. A burst (ruptured) appendix follows untreated appendicities. appendicitis can go on for quite a while before an appendix bursts.

It may be possible he had a viral infection or even the beginning stages of appendicitis at the time of nationals. This may partially explain some of his troubles. He may also had been training too hard lowering his immune system and making him more suseptible to viral infections.

Thinking optomistically, its good that he got this out of the way when he is still young. There is still plenty of time.

Comment

The God's are against him? Are you crazy? The God's are with Alan Webb. He ran 3:53 and is making $250,000 a year for being a mediocre runner. He should be thanking God every night before he goes to bed.

Webb's problems have nothing to do with bad luck. The kid has been injury free for so long (I don't want to hear about his "sore" achilles anymore as an excuse... we all get sore this's and that's and have to take a few weeks off, etc. We don't use it as an excuse for poor performances years later).

Webb needs to:

1) see a sports psychologist
              2) switch coaches
              3) get in an environment where he is part of a team and is training with others of similar ability.

End of story.

M

Comment

>The God's are against him? Are you crazy? The
                >God's are with Alan Webb. He ran 3:53 and is
                >making $250,000 a year for being a mediocre
                >runner. He should be thanking God every night
                >before he goes to bed.

Webb's problems have
                >nothing to do with bad luck. The kid has been
                >injury free for so long (I don't want to hear
                >about his "sore" achilles anymore as an
                >excuse... we all get sore this's and that's and
                >have to take a few weeks off, etc. We don't use
                >it as an excuse for poor performances years
                >later).

Webb needs to:

1) see a sports
                >psychologist
                2) switch coaches
                3) get in an
                >environment where he is part of a team and is
                >training with others of similar ability.

End
                >of story.

M

Wow, what venom. Give the kid a break. 3:53 in h.s. mediocre? Was Ryun's 3:55 mediocre?

Sure he has been blessed. Now he is going through a rough spot as all athletes do. Hopefully he will rebound but your suggestions are premature. A sport psychologist may help, they can help all athletes- even those doing well.

He has to determine if running with others would be helpful. Some athletes prefer to go it by themselves. Switching coaches again would be disastrous. He has to get back in the groove with Raczko and get heatlthy.

This forced rest will allow him to get healthy and set up for next year.

Comment

It was just a figure of speech.

I still think Webb will eventually run a 3:49 or 3:50 mile. I have no idea if he will ever make a Olympic team or not.

Nobody could of predicted that the 2003 season would be this bad for Webb.

Somewhere the next great American miler is lurking. Like all great American milers he will rise from obscurity.
                  With a few exceptions these super-star high school milers almost never fulfill their promise. I am almost wary of any high school milers that runs close to a 4 minute mile.

Ryan Hall - anyone?

Comment

There is so much negativity about Alan Webb, at least in cyberspace, that this message is an attempt to balance it out.
                    For the 40 years that I've been following track and field, there have been unending complaints that what is wrong with American distance running is our school system. Either we've been accused of too much interval training, too many coaching changes, too much racing to win inconsequential meets, too much, too fast etc. At last we have a runner who is talented and courageous enough to anwer this age old question: is there a better way to develop American distance runners. If Alan fails, he will at least have explored this option. But in the interim, let's give our fellow American/distance runner the support and encouragement that he deserves for attempting to do what no other American runner has ever tried.

Comment

>It was just a figure of speech.

I still
                      >think Webb will eventually run a 3:49 or 3:50
                      >mile. I have no idea if he will ever make a
                      >Olympic team or not.

Nobody could of predicted
                      >that the 2003 season would be this bad for
                      >Webb.

Somewhere the next great American miler
                      >is lurking. Like all great American milers he
                      >will rise from obscurity.
                      With a few
                      >exceptions these super-star high school milers
                      >almost never fulfill their promise. I am almost
                      >wary of any high school milers that runs close to
                      >a 4 minute mile.

Ryan Hall - anyone?

Ryan is far from obscure. I also don't know if he has the right mental state. In h.s. he seemed easily intimidated and a bit easy to break when the going got tough. Seems like a very nice kid - many comparisons to Ryun. Strong religious upbringing, lanky, quite. I hope he does well but he has been even less productive than Webb since h.s. Needed time off from Stanford to "figure things out" and read the bible.

The chances that a miler will come from "obscurity" are much less than one coming from some h.s. accomplishment. Talent will begin to show in h.s. He won't necessarily be a sub-4 miler but will likely have some legitimate h.s. accomplishment.

As Webb has shown, too much accomplishment can be a burden - but he has opened the door for others to also be stars without quite the same phenomenal attention. The next probably won't get the big paycheck either.

Webb has shown to have the right mental state when in shape. He is a competitor to the bone. Very aggresive, not easily intimidated. But, he has to have the spark from great training to light that confidence. I think he will get it back.

Comment

>There is so much negativity about Alan Webb, at
                        >least in cyberspace, that this message is an
                        >attempt to balance it out.
                        For the 40 years that
                        >I've been following track and field, there have
                        >been unending complaints that what is wrong with
                        >American distance running is our school system.
                        >Either we've been accused of too much interval
                        >training, too many coaching changes, too much
                        >racing to win inconsequential meets, too much,
                        >too fast etc. At last we have a runner who is
                        >talented and courageous enough to anwer this age
                        >old question: is there a better way to develop
                        >American distance runners. If Alan fails, he will
                        >at least have explored this option. But in the
                        >interim, let's give our fellow American/distance
                        >runner the support and encouragement that he
                        >deserves for attempting to do what no other
                        >American runner has ever tried.

I agree with everything you said except for the "courageous" part. Not that Alan is not courageous - I think he is. But, this particular decision didn't take courage it took common sense.

Comment

Disclaimer:

I WANT TO SEE ALAN WEBB SUCCEED. I HOPE HE OVERCOMES WHATEVER IT IS HE IS FACING AND BECOMES THE WORLD CHAMPION HE THINKS HE CAN BE.

Now... having said that, I said in Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun that Alan Webb would not break 3:40 this year, would be about a 3:58/9 miler at best and that he would not be in the top 3 at Nationals. So, "Annoying" you're wrong, people (others as well as myself) predicted that Alan would not perform well this year.

Cyril, 3:53 was NOT mediocre. what he is running now is.

no venom towards Webb, just those who love to make excuses for him. Its sad that people cling so hard to an ideal that they want to materialize with very little supporting evidence that it may actually happen.

M

Comment

Conto -

So, "Annoying" you're wrong, people (others as well as myself) predicted that Alan would not perform well this year.

Congradulations

Any fan could see that Webb wasn't going to light up the track this year. Defenders of Webb are simply tired of seeing armchair coaches disect his training and mental/physical state without any insider knowledge. Predicting is easy - calling out Bastard because you "got one right" is a bit too much.

Comment

The only reason people are "making excuses" for him is because he is in the spotlight and he is such a special talent.

There are hundreds of frosh/soph milers who are also troubled by injury/illness. Its the nature of the sport - we all know that. A big part of being successful is being able to stay healthy (as Krum has now realized).

Some of you disagree with him accepting the $$$ and going to a system that was proven to work instead of staying with a system that wasn't proven and running for an education. I think the only mistake he made was leaving a system that was proven to work for him for 4 years and trying to prove that he could run collegiate cross (which he, of course, did).

Ligitimate excuses shouldn't be criticized. Things happen. It is the ability to recover from setbacks that shows the spirit of a true champion. Lets see if Webb has that spirit.

Comment

Working...
                              X