Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is track and running so much more popular in the west..?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is track and running so much more popular in the west..?

then the east..its not even close

Re: Why is track and running so much more popular in the wes

Why is the sea boiling hot? And why do pigs have wings?

Comment

As to the NORTHEAST I would answer the question this way: I am in Rochester NY and it is snowing here today.
      By the time the ice and snow is gone the high school track season is pretty much over. This is probably discouraging to some kids. On the other hand, the ones who stick with the sport tend to be pretty good.

Comment

>then the east..its not even close

Although I hate to argue against the West, as I live in Texas, I have a two-word rebuttal: Penn Relays.
        "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

Penn isn't a track meet, it's a social event, and one social event can't make up for general disinterest. Through the years they've tried to throw other big meets in Philly and they don't fly. The number of people who showed up for the Ryun/Liquori "dream mile" was horridly small.

Comment

Hey, Lee. Two more words can go with yours: Drake Relays. Same weekend as Penn and we're still not in the West.

Comment

>"Penn isn't a track meet, it's a social event, >and one social event can't make up for general >disinterest. Through the years they've tried to >throw other big meets in Philly and they don't >fly. The number of people who showed up for the >Ryun/Liquori "dream mile" was horridly small."

I agree there is general disinterest. However, Penn is BOTH a track meet AND social event! The organizers do a solid job of ensuring there's a balance. The USA / Jamaica (& other) showdowns play well with Philly's & East Coast's demographics, which includes a sizeable Jamaican community.

Much of track & field's problem in America is that the entertainment / fun value is woefully neglected, unlike in Europe. Part of the reason why relay carnivals do relatively well (compared to other USA meets) is they are more FUN to casual fans. A critical factor if track is to appeal to more than a very small set of hardcore fans, & hit the big time in USA.

Comment

Working...
              X