Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two new PR's today

Some of you know I am trying the Iowa Games next weekend in Ames, Iowa. I was hoping to run under :13 in the 100m. Today I ran a :12.85, standing start, no blocks or spikes. I think I may be able to do around :12.5 in the actual race. In the discus(4.4lb) I threw a 94-6 1/2. Before this spring I had not tried the discus since junior high track tryouts in 1976, so I was pleased to be able to get over 75 feet. Maybe 100ft will happen this year yet. Thanks for all the good ideas I have gotten off this board for my events. (Shot put still hovering around 32 feet).

Re: Two new PR's today

Something positive is happening- rather than all the bitching and moaning about the superstars....keep training and just do your best. Hopefully the shot is an early event, followed by the discus, because it is hard to maintain strength for the shot is you do too many events before it. And I used to get shin splints from trying to HJ (5') and then do more events, so try and stretch inbetween events. Anyway, Twister- you're trying, and that's the best!!!

Comment

The events look like this:saturday-shot and 100m. Sunday-discus and high jump. I don't pratice the high jump alot. I think the starting height for my age group 40-44 is 4-6. I can make that with a small run up. I have made 4-10 recently and think 5ft could happen. I hope to shed about 10lbs before next year. As long as it is mostly fat and I can continue to improve my speed in the shot and discus I will be better off. Am thinking of buying a hammer and giving it a try. I have a javilin(800gram) but I am not very good at it. Have thrown 100 ft with it.

Comment

It is refreshing to hear about a competitor, not of the super star variety.
        Keep us posted and KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

Comment

You need to hook up with Allen Russell - Iowa multi eventer - 50's - a real horse -

Comment

It sounds like you are working hard, hopefully it carries over to next weekend. Marek and I were just discussing cutting down on training and resting this upcoming week. There isn't much that you can do now (as far as making yourself better)except get injured. This week we are cutting down on the volume and doing more technical stuff, such as starts. If you have a hard week of practice you could have dead legs by Saturday/Sunday. Best of luck!

Comment

>>It is refreshing to hear about a competitor,
              >>not of the super star variety.
              >>Keep us posted and KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

For love of the sport, competing, and bettering ourselves, whether we are headed to nationals or not. I haven't competed since I got married (almost 3 years ago), and I'm about 2 months into summer training. I feel faster than ever, though--I guess we'll see.

------------------------
              6.91 FAT(1993)
              11.49 FAT(2000)
              23.18 FAT(2000)
              51.14 (50.9-1993)
              144-10 HS Discus(1993)
              Next:
              55m, 200m @ Wildcat Invite 1/10/04

Comment

I know Alan Russell real well. Met him at a Masters meet at BV. He suggested I pick up the shot put and discus since I came to Master track from powerlifting. Actually, I bought my discus and a javalin from him since his implement weights went down when he turned 50. I live about 15 miles from Alan. Alan is a professor at ISU in Ames and a very nice guy. In fact, everyone I have met so far in Masters Track is a nice guy. Went this weekend to the Jr. olympic regional meet at St. Thomas University in St. Paul, Mn. Nice facility. One of my girls got thirs in the bantam high jump(1.05m) and the other girl was 6th in the bamtam shot put(5.50m). Both got medals so their was no crying on the way home. Went to Camp Snoopy at the Mall of America. Fun for kids, I can't take the rides anymore.

Comment

Working...
                X