Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Hill

Why are you so damn sacastic all the time?

Re: GarRy Hill

>Why are you so damn saRcastic all the time?

I think he is remarkably restrained which likely has something to do with the fact that he doesn't want to offend(too much) people because it is his board-as much as they might deserve the sarcasm.

Comment

Re: Gary Hill

If you are going to get his attention, you'd at least better spell his name right (Garry). Not that it's my style, but after all the years he's been trying to uplift this lumbering dinosaur of a track community, he deserves any sarcasm he wants to dish out. When you've accomplished what Garry Hill's accomplished, you can pretty much do or say what you damn well please. As the old line goes, you don't know who you're messing with. Do a little research next time before you post such inane drivel.

Comment

>Why are you so damn sacastic all the time?

Everyone is different...we let you be who you are, let him be who he is. Remember..."Offence is taken, never given". If it offends you, try loosening up.

Comment

... and furthermore, while it would be a bit of a stretch to say I worship the ground Garry walks on, I'd at least roll out a red carpet for him.

He's the pre-eminant voice in track and field journalism, at least on this side of the pond. He probably has Carl Lewis's cell phone number and knows what time Michael Johnson walks his dog. As far as track knowledge, he has more than you, me and Brutal put together. Ask me who I'd rather meet, Maurice Greene, Kobe Bryant or that cute girl in the sausage costume they interviewed on TV. Bling! Bling! You got it!!! Sure, I would like to exchange tubesteak details with Sausage Girl, but when it comes to who I would like to take to dinner in El Camino Real's finest restaurant and grill regarding intimate intricacies of international track and field, Garry's my man!!!

And don't you forget it, bub

Comment

Re: Garry Hill

>Why are you so damn sacastic all the time?>>

I'm flattered you noticed!

Seriously, I think the same question could be asked of every human being on the planet: Why are you so (happy, sad, mad, boring, friendly...........)? We're all something. And yes, I'm pretty sarcastic. That's me. And I'm a wise-ass, and I'm caustic. And while those traits haven't endeared me to a lot of people, there's not a whole lot I can do about it, given the cost of personality transplants.

One unfortunate thing about the e-world as a medium of communication is that just about all sense of nuance is so often lost. What one might read as a sledge-hammer response here, one might instead find as an engaging bit of repartee if you could hear tone of voice, see smile and twinkle in eye.

I also tend to use a very spartan writing style in most of my posts: nothing but the facts m'am. Since I've only got about 25 hours a day to devote to the magazine I try to keep my key-stroking to a minimum, hence what may read as very terse replies when they're really not. So, way more than anyone other than my mum wanted to know about my personality (or lack thereof).

Comment

Having met you years ago I would definitely add inexhaustable - hence the 25 hour day remark. I was also amazed a what a small operation T&FN really is - that's not a put down - it's remarkable that such a good looking magazine comes out of that place. As for the expense of the magazine, take it from someone who spent a lot of time at overseas Naval Bases, the only thing that kept me sane was letters from home and 'Track & Field News'. I'd pay lots more (but won't . . . until you raise the rate, of course).

Comment

I just know that GH mustn't really be sarcastic. Why, if he were, surely he would have responded to that ass-kisser Wow's suggestion about taking him to dinner at one of the El Camino Real's finest restaurants with, "Me, eat at a restaurant on El Camino?!"

Now, it's about those tube steaks.....

Comment

Damn good response. The best retort I can usually come up with is "up yours."

Comment

Hey, if that makes me an ass-kisser, so be it. Few asses could be more knowledgable, important and have served our community so well ... and hey, I've never been to El Camino Real, so if the restaurants suck, we'll move on!

Comment

Agree all the way on Garry and T&FN -- pound for pound the best magazine in the world. More effort must go into each page of "our" magazine than any other magazine. Can you imagine having to do the research for every racer and having to note if it was his PR or a NR or not? Let's not talk about all of those symbols I haven't figured out yet! ;-)

But I don't think the original poster meant any harm. He was just having fun, I'm sure. It was probably the food guy making a comeback. ;-)

Comment

OK point taken folks........ I won't mind GH's sarcasm....... although I must say that he comes across as a bit hostile sometimes in the letters section

Comment

I'm sure you got the entertainment you wanted. Post a message to Garry, then see how many TFN staffers respond to your post.

Comment

Interesting concept, but let's do a little Sherlock Holmes here.

"Hello!" is initial poster, criticizes gh---could well be a staffer, but if so, not for long :-)

"MJD" responds: from Darkwing board we know he's an accountant in Ontario.

"wow" responds: nothing to suggest he might not be a staffer (if so, throws in good lie by saying never been on El Camino)

"The Flash" responds: he has a link to his real e-mail address and we see he's in Utah.

"Tafnut" responds: we know from another thread what his real name is, and he lives in Florida.

"BillVol" responds: we know from all his posts that he lives in Knoxville.

"Realist" responds: calls wow an "ass-kisser" so doesn't sound like he's a fan.

I don't see a case for this being an in-house put-up job.

Comment

That was just my sarcastic response.

Comment

Working...
                              X