Collective letter to Runner's World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collective letter to Runner's World

It's evident that the general concensus among T&FN readers seems to be that Runner's World magazine sucks. I propose that we write a collective letter to RW editor Amby Burfoot condemning their awful magazine and demanding that they change the name of the publication to "Jogger's World." I'll write the first paragraph:

Dear Mr. Burfoot,

Your magazine sucks. You write about running as if it were not a real sport, but rather a contest to see who can finish a 5K with the biggest love handles.

C'mon, who's with me? Submit your suggestions and subsequent paragraphs!

Re: Collective letter to Runner's World

Then why do they have such a big circulation? They don't write to track fans. They write for joggers (runner wannabes, but they can't break 24 for a 5K.) Leave them alone. They are fine for what they want to be.

Comment

OK if you're a Jogger's World fan, then start a seperate thread to write your own letter praising their joggerhood! They might be the greatest bunch of plodders who ever ran a six hour marathon, but they have no right to associate themselves with real athletics!

Comment

If you don't like RW, then don't subscribe to it and don't read it.

Comment

>It's evident that the general concensus among
          >T&FN readers seems to be that Runner's World
          >magazine sucks. I propose that we write a
          >collective letter to RW editor Amby Burfoot
          >condemning their awful magazine and demanding
          >that they change the name of the publication to
          >"Jogger's World.">

I think Good Housekeeping sucks. I find it less of a strain to completely ignore the magazine than to write a letter to the editor telling he/she how much I hate it. If you don't like it DON'T BUY IT OR READ IT!

jd

Comment

Runners World is a magazine aimed at the casual jogger. It is basically a fitness magazine.
            Track and Field news is basically designed for people who are either serious or make a living in Track and Field. It is basically a trade magazine for Track and Field in this country.

Comment

Don't like it, don't look at it.
              But I do like pickin' on runners.ha ha

Comment

>Runners World is a magazine aimed at the casual
                >jogger. It is basically a fitness
                >magazine. Track and Field news is basically
                >designed for people who are either serious or
                >make a living in Track and Field. It is
                >basically a trade magazine for Track and Field in
                >this country.

Spot on re: the difference between the two magazines. I suspect most Runners World readers don't even consider themselves athletes, but rather run to stay in shape.

I don't read Runners World, as it focuses on distance. However, why all the elitist fuss about RW on this board? Aren't their readers the same individuals whom distance athletes want to watch them at meets? The same individuals whom these athletes want to buy their sponsor's products? The same individuals whose entry fees help pay for America's relatively lucrative marathon & 5K circuit? Who cares if they're running a six-hour marathon or not running a 5K like Adere. Does the average guy playing football in your local park play like Emmitt Smith? Average guy in a pickup basketball game play like Shaq? No. Rather than dump on the casual runner, with America's ridiculous obesity rates be glad they're even out there. The strategy should be to get them excited about track & field as a sport, not marginalize them.

Comment

I DON'T GET IT! A few weeks back there was a thread some 50 posts long in which most of the posters here expressed serious disdain towards that pathetic magazine, and now that somebody wants to take action y'alls testicles are running dry! Come on!

Comment

You're done now. Do you see how much support you got? It has nothing to do with b*lls, we are just not haters like yourself.

Comment

I have nothing against people who JOG for fitness... what I have a problem with is a publication that 1) associates this activity with running for SPORT; 2) degrades the sport (and the "fitness activity") by encouring people to embrace the "penguin" mentality to the extent of deliberately sabotaging performance by scarfing down burgers and pizza during a race; and, 3) perpetuates bogus information month after month (new utimate runner's power diet in every issue!) like a FITNESS TABLOID!

Runner's World is an abomination; an insult to everyone who takes running remotely seriously! Somebody has to stand up to these bogus fatass double-chin having JOGGERS who try to increase their circulation by appealing to America's fatass double-chin having masses!

Comment

you're a funny boy.

Comment

You're a funny woman!

Comment

you win - I quit

Comment

>I have nothing against people who JOG for
                              >fitness... what I have a problem with is a
                              >publication that 1) associates this activity with
                              >running for SPORT; 2) degrades the sport (and the
                              >"fitness activity") by encouring people to
                              >embrace the "penguin" mentality to the extent
                              >of deliberately sabotaging performance by
                              >scarfing down burgers and pizza during a race;
                              >and, 3) perpetuates bogus information month after
                              >month (new utimate runner's power diet in every
                              >issue!) like a FITNESS TABLOID!

Runner's World
                              >is an abomination; an insult to everyone who
                              >takes running remotely seriously! Somebody has
                              >to stand up to these bogus fatass double-chin
                              >having JOGGERS who try to increase their
                              >circulation by appealing to America's fatass
                              >double-chin having masses!

The casual runners who I see out & about look pretty trim to me. Where are these fatasses? They don't even run. Even if they did in large numbers, better than them not running at all. Would you prefer they swim or take up tennis?

You sound like yet another elitist runner who is jealous that RW is doing well in circulation. Casual running IS associated with running for sport. They are obviously not the same -- elites are obviously at a much higher level -- but there is an association. I'd wager that most hardcore runners started out as casual runners at some point.

The marathon & road race circuit wouldn't even be relatively lucrative for elite runners in the first place, without the casual runners whose registration fees (& the sponsors interested in marketing to them) make up a sizeable portion of these races' prize money! Quit whining. Wouldn't it be more useful to point out its errors rather than bash casual runners & its cottage industry as a whole? Track & field can hardly afford to marginalize a potential fan base, one that USATF & TFN should tap as much as possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X