Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Track&Field Network

>If nobody can make a go on basic cable of reruns of old football, basketball,
    >golf, boxing, etc., etc., how would old track ever survive?

How about you don't need to sit through an hour, or more, to see the result. Maximum of 30 min for Billy Mills and less than 11 seconds for the 100m.

Actually, maybe NBC should run commercials for their track events by packing 15 seconds of action into one ad. If done correctly it would get anyone interested in track.

Of course, the problem with that idea would be that the ads would have more content than the actual show ;-)

Comment

Dear Michael say it isn't so?

Comment

It simply won't attract enough advertisers. You need more than Nike, Adidas, etc; to support an Olympic cable channel or a track and field channel. The engine that drives sports advertising are beer and automobiles. My 30 years in television tell me that ad buyers for those businesses would turn their noses up at something like this.

Comment

>>The engine that drives sports advertising are beer and automobiles. My 30 years in television tell me that ad buyers for those businesses would turn their noses up at something like this.

The sollution is simple: have hurdlers hurdle cars while holding a bottle of beer in each hand. Advertisers will foam and bubble at the mouth to get a piece of that action...

Comment

Here's another alternative:

Have NBC and the USOC create a joint venture to use CNBC's air time on the weekends for coverage of Olympic sports. CNBC does business coverage during the week but it's weekend programming is mostly re-runs and infomercials. NBC could get some live events with commercials out of the deal plus a promotional platform for the next Olympics. The USOC gets some coverage for its sports and athletes.

Comment

I would love to see the regionals on tv
              would anyone else?

Comment

There are millions of die hard track and field fan out there that would pay money to see track on TV.

Since it seems as if we wouldn't hav enough advertising dollars to support a full fledged network, what I suggest is this then.

Just like the NBA and the MLB, the cable Networks, Directv and Dishnetwork could have a dedicated PPV channel just for track and field called "Track and Field TV". This network working with the major Networks and European partners would need to get the broadcast rights to televise most of the IAAF Indoor and Outdoor Track and Field Meets worldwide.

Paying customers could buy a season pass package coverage track events from January through Spectember when most track meets ends.

The meets covered would include most but not all track meets. The track meets that reguarly comes on regular TV could continue such as the US Indoor Meets, Penn Relays and the early US meets including Nationals and World Championship and Olympics. The "Golden League" track meets could still appear on ESPN.

The network could feature those big European indoor races, World Indoor Championships, IAAF Grand Prix 1 & 11 meets and IAAF permit meets and couple of relay meets such as Mt. Sac, Kansas Relays, Florida Relays that we don't see on regular TV.

The NBA league pass on Dishnetwork is $179 a season. I would be willing to pay that or a little big more as long as they can provide me with tonnes and tonnes of track on TV.

I think this would really work guys.

What do you think?

Comment

The NBA
                  >league pass on Dishnetwork is $179 a season. I would be willing to pay that or
                  >a little big more as long as they can provide me with tonnes and tonnes of
                  >track on TV.

I think this would really work guys.

What do you think?

If you can get me a $100 non-refundable deposit from 50,000 of your closest friends, I can get that network up and running for ya

Comment

Dear Jammin' it would be a great idea after all
                    people pay to watch football,basketball,wrestling,
                    boxing and from a standpoint of exposure it would be great for small schools in the area of track
                    who have diamonds in the rough on their team
                    who might not receive exposure on a consistant
                    basis.

Comment

I guess I can't say this enough times: all those things you
                      >mention cost virtually NOTHING to produce. One fixed camera and a talking head
                      >usually suffices. To do a track meet even badly requires multiple camera people
                      >and a producer and technicians. Is a very expensive proposition. And if the
                      >competition is at night, the lights have to be of football-stadium quality,
                      >which very few track stadiums have naturally, and to rent the MUSCO lights is a
                      >brutal expense.

Track is up against a horrid numbers crunch when it comes to
                      >the silly sports.

And that's the same reason why the NYC and Boston Marathons are NOT televised live nationally!!!!!!!

Comment

Does anyone have the e-mail for Craig Masback at USATF for me to discuss with him or anyone over there the idea of a "Track and Field Network" PPV subscription channel on cable/satellite?

I used to have his AOL e-mail address a couple of years ago before he became the head of USATF. Can't seem to find it.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎