Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The other obvious question that now must be asked is....

>>So that applies to changes made before the rule was put into place? Strikes me
    >that it could be challenged? Paging Law Dude?<

Law dude doesn't see this as
    >a serious legal problem. I think the IAAF can apply its rule immediately and I
    >think a legal challenge would fail, at least under US law.

Now I am totally confused. If this rule applies to him, don't the member nations have to agree to limit the wait period to one year?

edit-yes it would appear:

"Lagat could be free to represent the US within 12 months if Athletics Kenya agrees to his transfer, although they could decide to enforce a three-year transition period."

""He can't run for the US now in any major championship like the world championships until after the expiry of three years according to the new rules."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/4440823.stm

Comment

Re: The obvious question that now must be asked is...

"If the "best" rise to meet the challenge what difference does it make if the challenger is wearing a US or Kenyan singlet? The best should have already been rising to the challenge."

I'm not on the firmest ground here, but doesn't this subtly change the flavor of the USATF 1500 Final? Don't the finalists go in with a game plan that acknowledges the strengths and weaknesses of the field. I (naively?) do not believe you go into that race thinking, 'well I'll just run my own best PR race tactics and I don't care what anyone else is doing." Having a guy go out at 3:29-3:30 pace (esp. for recent American championships, it seems to me) kinda changes the complexion of things. Webb, for a fact, will see things differently, and I can't believe the other contenders won't see a difference as well.

Comment

I'm all for Lagat becoming a US citizen...as I am in favor of just about anyone else who really wants to do it (legally!).

Will it change the US championship race? Perhaps, but mainly by making it clear that each race will be honest and (at least in the last half) fast. If you're not really fit, don't bother showing up...

Comment

One more point:

I've considered Lagat American (whatever that is) for awhile now. College, abode, wife, training venue, etc...When was he Kenyan (to some of us, at least)? Maybe the 8 days he wore a Kenyan singlet at a WC or OG?

Comment

<<Will it change the US
            >championship race? Perhaps, but mainly by making it clear that each race will
            >be honest and (at least in the last half) fast.<<

Is he even eligible to run? (I don't have current rulebook with me)

I thought at one time they had a rule that if you weren't eligible for the national team and it was a national-team qualifying meet then you couldn't compete. Allowing ineligibles to bounce eligibles when you have a qualifying-rounds situation isn't a good thing in my book.

Comment

>>...what impact will this have on Webb? Discuss.

well now that webb is no
              >longer the number 1 runner in the united states, in one of tracks glamour
              >events the 1500/mile, his marketability will probably suffer a lot, unless webb
              >improves a whole lot more, or lagat gets injured or his performance declines,
              >which coning off of lagats great indoor season is unlikely for at least a few
              >years.>>>>

I don't think Webb's marketability suffers at all. If anything it could raise his profile assuming anyone's paying attention in the first place. Now his races can be promoted as "vs. the Olympic silver medalist".

Comment

>>>...what impact will this have on Webb? Discuss.

Don:t forget the big hype in New York a couple months back was "Webb vs Lagat in Wannamaker Mile". Makes for a more local (to you guys) 1-2 punch and great comp for everyone close enough to stay within range.

Comment

I'm not on the firmest ground here, but
                  >doesn't this subtly change the flavor of the USATF 1500 Final?

Yes, it changes the flavor more than subtly - it changes it completely.

In this respect the addition of Lagat (if and when he is able to compete in the USTAF Champs.)will make for a more interesting race. Webb won't be able to run away like he did at last year's trials.

Yes, while Lagat is competing he will change the US championships 1500 completely and for the better. But, will it make a big difference to future of US running? Not unless Webb and Lagat can become fierce rivals. For this to happen, AW had better get to work.

Comment

The "problem" is that the Webb/Lagat hype works only as long as we can believe they are (relatively) evenly matched... If it becomes obvious that they are NOT evenly matched, the hype becomes impossible to sustain.

Comment

This just means more work for the T&F News staff... now they will have to add Lagat:s name to the list of American sub-4 milers when (not if) he accomplishes that feat.

Comment

I suspect that he can run 3:59.5s three or four times in a row in a normal training session! [smiley face probably not needed]

Comment

Lagat not eligible to run in USATF this year. Very first rule in USATF book says (caps mine)

<<In the open men's and women's indoor and outdoor track & field championships [and multiple other classes]....... only citizens of the United States WHO ARE ELIGIBLE TO REPRESENT THE UNITED STATES IN ALL LEVELS OF INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION ARE ELIGIBLE TO COMPETE...>>

Since Lagat can't run in Helsinki, he can't run in Carson.

Comment

so no scuffles for team spots until at least next year, possibly not until the Olympic Trials.

Comment

It will make the rest run faster because they'll be running not to be 4th. The guys running for second and third will be running scared having that 4th place guy chasing them.

Comment

Re: Lagat becomes US Citizen!!

>there goes the AR

Wrong tense.

Comment

Working...
                                X