question on shot put technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on shot put technique

I do the glide. Do I want to swing my free or front leg before the delivery? I was thinking if I was to swing the leg I could my hips to turn quicker into the throw. I would swing it as part of the turn at the end.

Re: question on shot put technique

I am not so sure what you mean. I will assume your right handed. The push should come from the right foot. Drive back with left leg, land in power, turn right foot and pull back left(block) arm as one, turn left foot for the purpose of blocking, drive with right leg, drive hips through, throw.(VERY GENERALLY SPEAKING)
    As far as I know there should not be any major swinging of the lower body, just driving/pushing and turning.
    hope this helps, if not post again.

Comment

basically you want to "load up" which means that if you are right handed you want the shot and your upper body to stay twisted towards the right.

Then when the turn is initiated with the foot and hips it causes a "loading" like a spring. tension is built up as the lower half starts turing and the upper body stays put.

then the upper body will naturally "unspring" and the shot will explode out.

You will know when you are doing this because your throws will start to feel effortless and yet they will travel quite far.

swinging will seem to build up speed but will lead your upper body to lose the tension and thus you will a.) have less control and b.) will usually not travel as far.

Comment

I see what you mean as far as the right side staying back. I did a few practice ones here at work and found if I swing me left leg back to get me going I have more speed. Into the throw. I think I have problems turning to the left fast enough at the throw part.

Comment

Working...
        X