Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tour de armstrong

So what about Lance Armstrong and the rest of these guys pushing bikes up amazing inclines for hours at a time? Who knows about cycling AND running? What's the correlation, if any? How fast could Lance A. run a 10k? Sure, cycling and running are completely different mechanically, but Armstrong supposedly can turn the pedals over at 90 rpm against heavy resistence for extended periods of time. Didn't he compete in triathlons as a kid? Could he, or other big time cyclists, run world class times or not?

Re: tour de armstrong

yeah, lance is probably a better athlete than all distance guys out there. he is doing something that demands more energy used up than any race. he is beating a bunch of doped up athletes in the most greuling event in the world. he is literaly climbing up mountains on a bike. and there is also danger involved since they go like 70 mph down hills in those things. certainly his fifth title should set him apart from the rest as possibly the greatest athlete in the world currently.

Comment

yeah, lance is probably a better athlete than all distance guys out there. he is doing something that demands more energy used up than any race. he is beating a bunch of doped up athletes in the most greuling event in the world. he is literaly climbing up mountains on a bike. and there is also danger involved since they go like 70 mph down hills in those things. certainly his fifth title should set him apart from the rest as possibly the greatest athlete in the world currently.

Comment

I know that Armstrong was an accomplished triathlete before he went full-time into cycling (and rumors are that he'll go back to multi-sports in a year or two). From what I've heard, he was a stud runner and swimmer on his high school teams and triathlons were a natural outgrowth of that. Last winter he did an off-road triathlon and was actually behind after the bike leg but came from behind on the run to win.

Various triathlon training sources say that cycling is an effective cross-training tool for running, but not vice versa. One assumes Armstrong would be the USA's second-best marathoner if that had been his choice of sports (and maybe he might be the best). I figure one reason that Kenyan and Ethiopian runners dominate Europeans and Americans is that all their athletes with the mental and physical equipment for endurance sports go into running, while Americans and Europeans can choose from running, cycling, swimming, triathlons, skiing, skating, and so on. In other words, Bjorn Dahle and Lance Armstrong are our Abebe Bikilas.

Comment

Lance came off the bike in second, behind mtn. bike champion Jason Sager. Sager commented in the article (see below) how odd it was to ask the TdF champ to move over so he could pass on the bike.

http://www.runnertriathletenews.com/fea ... n2003.html

5K run / 12M mtn. bike / 5K run
          1 Lance Armstrong 18:57.9/00:45.1/0:55:29/00:37.9/20:16.0 = 1:36:05

This was an extremely hard off-road run that was longer than the 5K distance advertised. Some other notable times in comparison (all three of these competed in relays and didn't have to mtn. bike like Lance):

Adam Dailey (Longhorn NCAA qual.): 17:22/17:35
          Steve Sisson (Longhorn NCAA qual.): 18:14/18:39
          Adam Reiser (9:00 2M in H.S.): 18:27/20:17

Ironically, this is the "cyclocross" race that Lance referred to when answering Frankie Andreu's question after avoiding Beloki's crash the other day.

Lance Phegley
          Editor
          Runner Triathlete News
          Inside Texas Running
          www.RunnerTriathleteNews.com
          www.InsideTexasRunning.com

Comment

The distance types out there might find this excerpt from the "live" coverage from July 11 of interest. You can listen to it and follow text here:
            http://www.letour.fr/2003/us/index.html

"13 H 54 - Petacchi Riding At 36 Per Cent of Maximum Heart-Rate
            The winner of yesterday's stage, Alessandro Petacchi, is riding in the
            middle of the peloton. His heart-rate is currently 63 beats per minute. His
            maximum is 201bpm... the shelter he is given by those around him is allowing
            him to ride at just 36 per cent of his maximum."

Indurain's resting HR was supposed to be 27.

Comment

From today's stage-notice how they test.

"14 H 52 - 42 Riders Tested This Morning
              The UCI subjected 42 riders from six teams to drug controls this morning. The formations tested were: Jean Delatour, Bianchi, Gerolsteiner, Kelme, Alessio and FDJeux.com. The blood tests were taken between 7.00am and 8.00am.
              No abnormalities were found and all were clear to race the 12th stage."

Comment

Since this is not a thread about T&F let's keep it to a minimum. There are lots of places for cycling discussion. The following are good places to start:

http://www.cyclingnews.com
                http://www.velonews.com
                http://tdf.olntv.com

Comment

>Since this is not a thread about T&F let's keep
                  >it to a minimum. There are lots of places for
                  >cycling discussion. The following are good
                  >places to
                  >start:

The point I was making was the fact that they blood test and aren't there those that would like to see that in track and field?

Comment

My request wasn't really in reaction to any one thing post. Just a request.

And unfortunately, the blood test for the riders are not doping tests. They're hematocrit tests. Any rider with hematocrit level of greater than 50% is disqualified as "unfit to ride" and has to sit out two weeks. Riders do undergo doping controls but they are the regular urine tests. The blood tests are for rider health/safety or can be seen as a leveling of the playing field.

See The mountains at the speed of a motorcycle?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=200 ... /jul18news

For an interesting piece on race speeds and doping controls.

Comment

There is very little correlation between cycling fitness and running fitness. Sure, there's a general fitness component, i.e., a cyclist could surely beat a sedentary person in a 5K, but cycling does very little for running fitness and vice versa. It's all about the specificity of exercise.

So if you're injured, don't get on the exercise cycle, get in the pool and run.

Comment

Nah, if you're injured, sit at home and drink beer!

Comment

Dan, running in the pool is fine, but the hydostatic (or hydraullic, who knows..) effect of the water lowers your heart rate by at least 10 points, therefore making it that much harder to get your heart rate up to where it needs to be to maintain fitness.

The key is to raise your heart rate and your respiration to a point that duplicates what you do in your training. The problem is the specifivity of the event. What other event puts your muscles through the same range of motion as running does and at the same time reqires the balance and weight bearing affects of running????

There is none.

p.s. I doubt that Lance Armstrong could run a gret marathon and I doubt that any great marathoner could race a great Tour. The muscles used are different, the fact that one is weight bearing and one is not is very significant. Remember, years and years of training. Bio mechanics can not be ignored either.

And, the Tour is a team event, plain and simple. On great rider can win the race without a great team. Shorter didn't need a great team to win the Olympic Marathon

Comment

Another TFN Message Board fan alerting me to an error I made in my previous post concerning the off-road triathlon that Lance did last winter.

I stated that it was this race that Lance referred to after his off-road ride to avoid Beloki's accident. I was wrong. He did another event last winter -- a true cyclocross, I'm told -- and that's the race he mentioned during his post-race interview.

For the sake of accuracy, I wanted to point this out.

Lance Phegley
                            Editor
                            Inside Texas Running
                            www.InsideTexasRunning.com

Comment

>Indurain's resting HR was supposed to be 27.

In an article about HR monitors a few years back, it listed Indurain's max HR at 195 and his lactate turnpoint at 190. Amazing.

Comment

Working...
                              X