Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coaching both sexes to the WR in the same event

With Yelena Isinbayeva the new PV WR holder for women and Sergei Bubka the WR holder for men, is Vitaliy Petrov the only person to ever coach both sexes to the WR in the same event?

Re: coaching both sexes to the WR in the same event

I'd say no, since there have only been 2 outdoor world record holders, Emma George and Stacy Dragila.

Comment

>I'd say no, since there have only been 2 outdoor
      >world record holders, Emma George and Stacy
      >Dragila.

I think he means in ANY event (not just the PV)...

Comment

Whoever coaches Tim & Marion in 2004.

Comment

That means you think Marion will run either 10.48 and/or 21.33 ??!!

She's a terrific runner, maybe the best ever, but she cannot run 10.48 or 21.33.

Comment

OK, so A. Felix joins them to increase the odds.

Comment

Oh, and I like your statement, maybe the best ever (I DO say best ever). Doesn't that say a great deal about Flo-Jo?

Comment

we are not allowed to broach "that subject", but because of "that subject", I think Marion's the best. If and when she pulls off the 100/200 double in Athens it's a slam dunk. But I do not think she'll ever get either WR. She can maybe run 10.62 with a perfect start and a 1.9 wind, and with similar conditions a 21.65 in the 200.
                So she gets cheated out of WR's because of "that subject."

'Nuff said.

Comment

And irregardless of Flo Jo, etc., a double next year makes her the best ever anyway. Move over Wilma, Wyomia, Flo Jo, Gail, or any of the German women. Marion's the queen !

Comment

Speaking of German women, why is the 400 record still Koch's, when it is 'proven' that she WAS on drugs. Didn't the IAAF strip Ben of stuff he had done before Seoul? I understand 'not getting caught' keeps a record/medal, but once you're declared officially guilty, doesn't that mean you are stripped of your marks?

Comment

IAAF, far as I know, has never looked at any evidence that Koch--or anybody else from the DDR--was dirty. There have been reports of people seeing Stasi files which ID certain athletes as having been on a program, but unlike Ben Johnson's case, where he admitted under oath in a court of law, as to having been dirty earlier, the DDR cases go no farther than that.

I suspect the IAAF fears--and unfortunately i have to agree--what a terminal hit the sport might take if it suddenly obviated about half the women's medals (and many existing World Records) from the OG and WC of the '80s.

They should have taken the easy out that was presented to them at the turn of the millenium and gone for "new millenium WRs" and started over. It would have been a rather shallow bit of subterfuge, but the public would very quickly have bought into it, just as they accept "new" WRs with the new javelins.

Comment

The IAF ( or whatever the letters are now ) are just trying to pretend that none of that "Drug Stuff' ever happened. If no one talks about it, we all just go quietly on, with mucho impregnable records. That's their approach. And maybe they are right. If you open the Can Of Worms of stripping athletes of WR's, it becomes a Slippery Slope very, very quickly. So they will never do it.

And the fabulous female athletes in the near and intermediate future in just about all events will just have to pay the price of no WR's.

Comment

"There have been reports of people seeing Stasi files which ID certain athletes as having been on a program"

I could swear I read a big article about how the whole apparatus was thoroughly investigated and the women themselves spoke up on how they felt used by the DDR machine, which then spat them out with their forever chemically altered bodies. Cornelia Ender was one and I swear the big track names were in there also.

Comment

would not it be nice, and honorable, if all the DDR ladies would make a joint declaration of all the stuff that they were subject to, and then various swimming and track bodies could get this all cleaned up ?

Ladies, step forward ! And we will respect you for it.

Comment

Help me out here. When most women go through child birth their hips widen slightly. This does not speak well for sprint (or any other running)form/biomechanics. Am I crazy to think that Marion may not come back as fast as she once was.

Anyone know of good examples of women who were faster after child birth than before? I'm sure their are good examples but are they the exception or the norm?

I hope (for the USA team) she comes back faster but I wouldn't count on it. Either way its unlikely that Tim and Marion would hold a sprint record at the same time. Not to likely she'll best Flo Jo's 100 time and if she did get Flo Jo's 200 time Tim won't get MJ 200 time.

Comment

Working...
                              X