Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Penn Relays Watches

Who has won the most Penn Relays watches? For some reason I think it is Mark Belger with 10? Is thet right or is there somebody else?

Re: Most Penn Relays Watches

I've always heard Belger as well. On the womens' side, who? Huber? O'Sullivan?

Comment

Flanagan? She's won a handful and still has some racing left to do.

Comment

how about Ron Delany ?

Comment

Calling Walt Murphy for the answer to this one.

Comment

If anyone has the answer to this one, it would be Dave Johnson, the Meet Director of the Penn Relays.

Comment

Dave Johnson is probably letting people have fun guessing answers before loading some monster list. Probably getting ready to tell us why there are so many different ways to answer this. And blah, blah, blah . . .

Comment

Is there an online listing of all-time Penn champions? There should be. Seeing as how they print it in the program every year, it would take a minimal amount of time.

Comment

The list in the program shows the winning teams, not the composition of the teams.

Comment

Belger with 10 is the right answer. Coghlan has 9.

Comment

Sorry folks. Lots of "right" answers listed so far. And someone hit it best, it all depends on how you want to count.

There was a time when Olympic Development winners did not receive watches. There has been a long period during which IC4A section winners have received watches. So watches isn't that simple a term.

But here are some major winners, with various categories counted (but not IC4A). C-College; HS-High School; OD-Olympic Development/Open; F-Freshman mile relay (back in the days when frosh were ineligible for varsity competition), M-Masters:

21 Lorna Forde (21 OD)
                      15 Herman Frazier (5 C, 10 OD)
                      14 Norm Tate (8 C, 5 OD, 1M)
                      12 Diane Guthrie (9 C, 3 HS)
                      12 Marty Liquori (8 C, 1 HS, 1 F, 2 OD)
                      11 Eamonn Coghlan (9 C, 2 OD)
                      10 Mark Belger (10 C)
                      10 Don Paige (9 C, 1 HS)
                      10 Ron Delany (9 C, 1 F)
                      10 Charlie Jenkins (8 C, 1 HS, 1 F)
                      9 Frank Ohl (8 C, 1 F)
                      9 Larry James (6 C, 1 HS, 1 F, 1 OD)
                      8 John Woodruff (7 C, 1 OD)

Comment

I saw some guy outside Franklin field who had several dozen watches for sale, but I don't know whether they were all official Penn Relays timepieces.

Comment

Nah, he's just selling all the watches that Tom Jennings made obsolete.

Comment

Question. I thought NCAA rules prohibited gifts for athletic performance, & I recall seeing watches on the prohibition list. Yet Penn Relays distributes watches. How can that be?

Comment

regarding blacklily's question:

The NCAA Manual does not cover awards/prizes given by a host institution with the exception that such award may not be cash or the equivalent (savings bond, gift certificate, etc.)

Individual schools are barred from giving a team championship ring or watch in excess of $300 value, and perhaps this is what you're thinking of. Or perhaps you're thinking back to 1986 when the NCAA re-interpreted one of its rules to mean that no host NCAA institution could give any sort of award/prize to a high school athlete (this was part of the no try-out aspect of recruiting, and not directly related to the amateurism aspect of awards).

Simply, I don't know what you're thinking of. Penn Relays has given watches since at least 1899, and probably since the beginning in 1895.

Comment

Working...
                              X