Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track gets no respect

I'm a track athlete myself (college) and I fill that track never gets any respect even on the pro level, its like were always in the background, I get sick of seeing all theses other sports getting all the attention, notice in all the popular sports the athletes get paid even if they dont produce, track is one of the only ones that really requires you to be a winner, example, you have some decent football player sitting on the bench that probably never plays and he's getting paid more than some of the top track athletes, I dont know, just wanted to get that off my chest

Re: Track gets no respect

I am right there with you man. But the thing is, thats what makes T and F so great(at least for me), the pressures all on you, YOU win, YOU lose. There is no one there to take your blame, glory or to do it or ruin it for you.
    It also shows the grit and determination of the track and field athletes to know that maybe they do not make as much money as some high level athletes but to still pursue excellence for the sheer love of it.
    But then to take the other side, it is a bitch, I know I like some money now and then, and would love to become financially secure for throwing a 16# rock.
    Just my thoughts.

Comment

>I'm a track athlete myself (college) and I fill
      >notice in all the
      >popular sports the athletes get paid even if they
      >dont produce, track is one of the only ones that
      >really requires you to be a winner, example, you
      >have some decent football player sitting on the
      >bench that probably never plays and he's getting
      >paid more than some of the top track athletes,

There's such a thing as "appearance fees", where an athlete negotiates a payment just for showing up. The GP prize-money scheme was invented to put an end to that, but the top athletes still don't come unless you pay them and very well at that).

Comment

Man isn't that statement so true.I understand why track gets less tv play than football,NBA,and MLB. However I get disgusted when sports like MLS soccer,Worlds Strongest man, X-games,Wnba, pool shooting, that womens soccer league,hot dog eating,bowling,and that new lacrosse league get more air time than the purest form of sport there is.

Comment

Most pro sports are driven by advertiser money. Look at Golf. The corporate sponsers are wannabes that can't play the game good so they sponser the tournements. I'm sure that is some sort of write off for them. Look at ESPN getting Rush Limbaugh( I will refrain from calling him any names) to do Sunday Ticket. They know who his followers are and who watches football. All about money. NACAR is not even really a sport (maybe a non-athletic one)and it gets lots of TV time because the networks know somebody will watch it.

Comment

Since virtually everything in the public's cosciousness (i.e. TV) is driven by economics, the only way to imprive track's position is through marketing: improve the product and its placement in the mainstream. The USATF has the Golden Spike tour and IAAF has the Grand Prix, so the mechanism exists to market the sport, but it seems to be haphazard at best. We need to integrate all aspects of the 'Pro Tour' into something like tennis and golf has (The Tour). Until we market ourselves better, track will continue to be a third tier (some say fourth) sport in the USA.

Comment

Right on, it's all about marketing. But everyday people like us (not the ones paid to do the marketing) can be the reason T&F blows up and gets huge. Go read a bookg called "The Tipping Point" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Comment

Maybe USATF should get their own cable channel.Model it after the golf channel.Maybe then we could see a complete 5000,10000 or steeplechase covered.Also maybe we could see all 6 rounds of a javelin,shot,discus,hammer,long jump or triple jump competition.I don't want to forget the pole vault and high jump getting more airplay as well.I know track has to try and keep the attention of fans of other sports so that is why you can only see complete races of a mile or shorter.

Comment

A track cable channel in the U.S. can't happen until track gets more popular in the country. With low TV ratings, who would invest the hundreds of millions minimum needed to launch such a channel? Who would buy ad time to keep the channel operational? I don't even see such a channel being profitable in Europe right now.

Comment

A monthly TV show might work - a "review of the month" show with film & commentary of major highlights, an interview or two, one historical piece (say, evolution of WRs in an event, with film clips?), and finishing with a preview of next month. Plenty of time to assemble it, and a viewership of all hardcore fans. Would it work?
                    Just one show, at the end of each month.It could be on network channels (but maybe kinda late at night...)

Comment

Isn't a cable channel accessable to anyone w/ the right dish/hookup? Wouldn't their be enough people around the world that would tune in or subscribe? A track and field cable channel would be so great. They have the food channel, golf channel, weather channel, c-span...maybe it could happen. I would pay extra to get it...would you?

Comment

Track and field's leadership over the last 15 years has gone to the dogs. Even Craig Masback (that's right, I said it!). If I'm a track marketer, I'm putttin' the US's biggest meets, Penn, Texas, Mt. SAC and Pre, right in people's faces. How is it that a meet which is 110 years old (Penn) is still unknown to people in NYC, which is only 90 miles from Philly (trust me, there are people in New York that have never heard of Penn Relays). Only in track. Peace.

PS--The people who run Penn have made their meet better over the years, too. And USATF doesn't have a clue of what's going on.

Comment

>Isn't a cable channel accessable to anyone w/ the
                          >right dish/hookup? Wouldn't their be enough
                          >people around the world that would tune in or
                          >subscribe? A track and field cable channel would
                          >be so great. They have the food channel, golf
                          >channel, weather channel, c-span...maybe it could
                          >happen. I would pay extra to get it...would you?

It depends on the cable channel's distribution system. For example, the Outdoor Life Network is only available to 40% of Americans. I think ESPN (but not ESPN2) is available to about 80% of the populace.

The issue would be to get enough investors to get the project off the ground, not to mention attract enough advertisers to keep it running. Subscribership alone won't pay the channel's bills. E.g., investors put up $80 million to get the Golf Channel off the ground. That's more than the IAAF's own budget, & let's not discuss USATF's budget. The Tennis Channel had $50+ million before it launched. The money is just not currently there in track & field.

Comment

>Track and field's leadership over the last 15
                            >years has gone to the dogs. Even Craig Masback
                            >(that's right, I said it!). If I'm a track
                            >marketer, I'm putttin' the US's biggest meets,
                            >Penn, Texas, Mt. SAC and Pre, right in people's
                            >faces. How is it that a meet which is 110 years
                            >old (Penn) is still unknown to people in NYC,
                            >which is only 90 miles from Philly (trust me,
                            >there are people in New York that have never
                            >heard of Penn Relays). Only in track. Peace.
                            >

PS--The people who run Penn have made their
                            >meet better over the years, too. And USATF
                            >doesn't have a clue of what's going on.

You're right. America's biggest track meets with significant elite participation aren't part of USATF's Golden Spike Tour! Not even Penn Relays, & it's on television.

http://www.usatf.org/events/2003/Golden ... eets.shtml

Backward strategy. Penn Relays, Texas Relays, Drake Relays (which is the same weekend as Penn), & Mt. SAC Relays should be added to the Tour.
                            They would certainly boost USATF's attendance figure claims, & attract more sponsorship. They should've been added before USATF created meets such as the Oracle U.S. Open & the Home Depot meet. The relay meets are what make the U.S. season unique from any other country's season, & obviously there's interest there. Follow the feet!

Comment

Blacklilly hits it on the head with the comment about the availability of channels. Note that even ESPN2, if her figures are right, has only an 80% pentratation.

Problem is that even if you get the money to get a new venture up and running, you also need to convince your local cable operator to carry it.

I get something on the order of 60 channels on my basic cable, but i can't even get such popular ones as Comedy Central or the History Channel, for example. So if a track channel came available in my area, what do you think the chances are that my operator would bounce something else to get it ahead of Comedy/History/Turner Classic Movies, etc., etc?

Comment

Working...
                              X