X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tafnut
    replied
    Re: Track gets no respect

Since virtually everything in the public's cosciousness (i.e. TV) is driven by economics, the only way to imprive track's position is through marketing: improve the product and its placement in the mainstream. The USATF has the Golden Spike tour and IAAF has the Grand Prix, so the mechanism exists to market the sport, but it seems to be haphazard at best. We need to integrate all aspects of the 'Pro Tour' into something like tennis and golf has (The Tour). Until we market ourselves better, track will continue to be a third tier (some say fourth) sport in the USA.

Leave a comment:

• Twister
    replied

Most pro sports are driven by advertiser money. Look at Golf. The corporate sponsers are wannabes that can't play the game good so they sponser the tournements. I'm sure that is some sort of write off for them. Look at ESPN getting Rush Limbaugh( I will refrain from calling him any names) to do Sunday Ticket. They know who his followers are and who watches football. All about money. NACAR is not even really a sport (maybe a non-athletic one)and it gets lots of TV time because the networks know somebody will watch it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Man isn't that statement so true.I understand why track gets less tv play than football,NBA,and MLB. However I get disgusted when sports like MLS soccer,Worlds Strongest man, X-games,Wnba, pool shooting, that womens soccer league,hot dog eating,bowling,and that new lacrosse league get more air time than the purest form of sport there is.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>I'm a track athlete myself (college) and I fill
    >notice in all the
    >popular sports the athletes get paid even if they
    >dont produce, track is one of the only ones that
    >really requires you to be a winner, example, you
    >have some decent football player sitting on the
    >bench that probably never plays and he's getting
    >paid more than some of the top track athletes,

There's such a thing as "appearance fees", where an athlete negotiates a payment just for showing up. The GP prize-money scheme was invented to put an end to that, but the top athletes still don't come unless you pay them and very well at that).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I am right there with you man. But the thing is, thats what makes T and F so great(at least for me), the pressures all on you, YOU win, YOU lose. There is no one there to take your blame, glory or to do it or ruin it for you.
    It also shows the grit and determination of the track and field athletes to know that maybe they do not make as much money as some high level athletes but to still pursue excellence for the sheer love of it.
    But then to take the other side, it is a bitch, I know I like some money now and then, and would love to become financially secure for throwing a 16# rock.
    Just my thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• bwr76f
    started a topic Track gets no respect

Track gets no respect

I'm a track athlete myself (college) and I fill that track never gets any respect even on the pro level, its like were always in the background, I get sick of seeing all theses other sports getting all the attention, notice in all the popular sports the athletes get paid even if they dont produce, track is one of the only ones that really requires you to be a winner, example, you have some decent football player sitting on the bench that probably never plays and he's getting paid more than some of the top track athletes, I dont know, just wanted to get that off my chest
Working...
X