Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Since There's Interest In Cycling...

"Armstrong's stare-down of Ullrich a few years back was the moment that cycling ceased to be a fringe sport."

People want the drama of personal rivalries. Why do we scold our sprinters for their behavior (as long as it isn't obviously bad sportmanship) when that is the essence of sports entertainment. We don't live in 1880's England anymore. Showboating in the NBA/NFL is an art form.

Comment

OK, so in his next week's column, here's what the SF Chron guy said:

<<My anti-cycling rant from last week generated more e-mail than anything in my previous 230 columns. It wasn't even close. I never thought I'd say this, but cycling fans are more emotional and more passionate than Raiders fans. I was impressed.

At least 100 people sent me the dictionary definition of sport. Got it, thanks. Many people assumed I'm a fat, ugly, potato chip-eating loser who has no sex drive and who would throw up after one trip around a track. Um, OK.

Some clever folks even subscribed me to cycling e-mail newsletters. That's the kind of payback I can appreciate.

Everyone questioned my sanity, something that's always been rampantly questioned and never quite clarified.

Here is a page of responses, sure to entertain, enlighten and frighten. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 9/mail.DTL

This week's question: Would you pay to watch an NFL exhibition game?

Comment

I'd pay not to.

Comment

"On the ladder of athleticism cycling is the third rung. Come-on, you learn to walk, you learn to run, you learn to ride a bike."

Uh oh, that makes track fourth rung and race walking dead last.

Comment

I watch a good bit of sports talk on TV and most of the people covering sports hold LA's accomplishments in high regard.

If you get SI, read Rick Reilly's column in the latest issue. Also Jim Rome is quite an admirer.

There are a few idiots out there. There are also morons who do not like baseball

Comment

"There are also morons who do not like baseball"

Since baseball is the antithesis of track, I imagine most of us find it very boring. My friends say track is dull because of all the incessant 'running in circles', but my idea of sport is not 18 guys sitting/standing around watching a game of catch, as another guy whiffs his bat around ineffectually 7 times out of 10. Wake me up when the big guy pulls a hamstring trying to break 5 seconds getting the 30 yards to first. The 7th inning stretch is necessitated by all the blood pooling in the buttockial region from so little excitement getting you out of your seat.

Comment

Track is the perfect sport. Baseball is the perfect game. One can appreciate them both. I think most American track fans do.

(I realize that there's a risk that this thread is now going to turn into a discussion of the merits of baseball, but it started out on cycling, so I feel no guilt.)

Comment

"there's a risk that this thread is now going to turn into a discussion of the merits of baseball"

ha ha ha - thanks for the comic relief.

Comment

Working...
                  X