Usain Bolt,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usain Bolt,

Wow, a 16 year old Jamaican sprinting 20.13 which they adjusted from 19.94 and he is not the favorite for the 200m finals in Paris. wooooow

Re: Usain Bolt,

I missed something here. What do you mean they adjusted his time to 20.13 from 19.94?

Comment

what adjustment?

Comment

Let me join the chorus. What the hell are you talking about?

Comment

The chorus grows louder Shawn, speak or face certain increasing complaints.
          P.S What is Bolts current 400m ability, apparently he ran the qualifying rounds in Sherbrooke.

Comment

45.35 at the boys championship in April 2003. He was untested.

I personsal think BOLT will be running sub 44 next year for this event. See Thread that I started that says that BOLT will run 19.9 by this summer.

Gab track guru

Comment

My boy Adrian Durant from St. Croix who runs for University of South Carolina during the school year ran against Bolt. He said he saw it say 19.-something as well, but then they adjusted it. I'm not sure why, but, Adrian was there, and he said the same thing.

Comment

wsup vaun, i ran in hs with Adrian. how is he doing? have not talked to him in a while.

Comment

"45.35 at the boys championship in April 2003. He was untested.

I personsal think BOLT will be running sub 44 next year for this event. See Thread that I started that says that BOLT will run 19.9 by this summer.

Gab track guru"

Didn't Obea Moore run a similar time in HS?

Comment

There have been a few runners who have run low 45's at a very early age. Bolt is not Obea Moore, so you can't say that he will fade away like Obea did. Just look at the Harrison brothers, they ran fast in high school and are still among the worlds best today. Too bad they are inconsistent.

Comment

jerome young and obea both ran 45.01 & 45.02 at
                      the jr. world champs in 95 or 96. jerome PR. is 44.09. i don't know if obea ever ran under 45.

this kid sound good, but you have to run the times
                      not talk about his times, what has happen to
                      arvard moncur and angelo taylor. they ran great
                      early in there careers but no word from them lately. i hope the kid does well, but you "only
                      as good as your last race"

Comment

"jerome young and obea both ran 45.01 & 45.02 at
                        the jr. world champs in 95 or 96. jerome PR. is 44.09. i don't know if obea ever ran under 45.

this kid sound good, but you have to run the times
                        not talk about his times, what has happen to
                        arvard moncur and angelo taylor. they ran great
                        early in there careers but no word from them lately. i hope the kid does well, but you "only
                        as good as your last race""

I agree with hurdles/sprints. There are plenty of examples of guys who run fast early but never take the next step. I grew up in the Washington, D.C. area; there was a sprinter at an area high school in Maryland named Ato Modibo. He ran 45.86 his senior year in HS. He then went to South Carolina, where he never really improved.

Sure, the Harrison twins have improved somewhat (an earlier poster mentioned them), but they did not turn into the next great 400m runners in the track and field world. They are merely good runners who might run a 44 high on a good day and typically get 5th or 6th in races.

The examples of Moncur and Taylor (above) are relevant, and of course Moore is the prime example: he never ran faster than he did his junior year in HS (I think it was actually a 45.13).

My point is this: Usain Bolt has run some damn fast times for his age (or for any age, for that matter). However, I don't think people should jump on his bandwagon until he:

a. takes the next step and
                        b. proves that he can CONSISTENTLY perform at a higher level

We have no idea what's going to happen to this kid. He might be the next Michael Johnson. But the odds of that happening are not good (the odds are not good no matter who you are or what kind of talent you have).

So I really wish people would stop posting about how this kid is the greatest thing ever to come along. Maybe he'll be great. But if he goes downhill people will write the same kind of messages about him on this board as they do about Alan Webb now.

Comment

Hey, Bolt turns 17 in 2 weeks !!

Comment

This is what "No Name" quoted

"I agree with hurdles/sprints. There are plenty of examples of guys who run fast early but never take the next step. I grew up in the Washington, D.C. area; there was a sprinter at an area high school in Maryland named Ato Modibo. He ran 45.86 his senior year in HS. He then went to South Carolina, where he never really improved."

Okay you say Ato never really improved? What do you consider an improvement?

-In his frosh year(1999)he ran 45.33

-In 2001 he ran 44.87 to win ACC's

He has also battled injuries (like we all do) and different training stages. I'm sure Ato is working hard to get his form back.

He went to Clemson. I didn't know if you meant South Carolina as the state or the school....

So if dropping a second from what you ran in HS is not an improvement then I don't know what is.

"Is easier said than done"

Comment

REVISED from my last post

This is what "No Name" wrote

"I agree with hurdles/sprints. There are plenty of examples of guys who run fast early but never take the next step. I grew up in the Washington, D.C. area; there was a sprinter at an area high school in Maryland named Ato Modibo. He ran 45.86 his senior year in HS. He then went to South Carolina, where he never really improved."

Okay you say Ato never really improved? What do you consider an improvement?

-In his frosh year(1999)he ran 45.33

-In 2001 he ran 44.87 to win ACC's

He has also battled injuries (like we all do) and different training stages. I'm sure Ato is working hard to get his form back.

He went to Clemson. I didn't know if you meant South Carolina as the state or the school....

So if dropping a second from what you ran in HS is not an improvement then I don't know what is.

"Its easier said than done"

Comment

Working...
                              X