Usain Bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usain Bolt

I know Usain Bolt has been a big topic of discussion for people not only on this board,but others as well. I really hope this kid pans out. This kid has unique ability and he can do great things with it,if he trains smartly and lives right. He seems to have alot of people picking him to be the future of the long sprints, and I agree. Any fan whether you are American,Jamaican, Canadian, or any other country that supports track and field,I believe you need to pull for this kid to really reach his potential,because if he does that would mean more coverage for our sport. MJ,Carl Lewis,and Marion Jones have given this sport a boost in the past and now I really believe this kid can be the same type of difference maker we have been looking for. So good luck to Usain and wish him well as he continues to try to reach the pinnacle of this sport.

Re: Usain Bolt

You are right. This kid will directly or indirectly raise the standard of competition for all future 16 year olds in the 200 meters and 400 meters. In fact for under 20 year olds definitely in the 200 meters. With the bar set to new levels future generations will definitely have to get faster to challenge any records that Bolt will leave in all these categories. This new level of competition will be a spring board for future world record holders since a plethora of faster young 200 meter runners will have to come along to push each other past the Bolt marks before they reach 20 years old. Some of them and I hope all of them will survive to become world beaters with longevity in these events that Bolt will be setting or has already new standards for in the junior categories.

Gab

Comment

I was conversing with some of my friends and they are under the impression that within several years, Usain may be too tall to be as effective as he might seem in the 200 meteres. He might have to move up and stay at the 400 meter race due to his height. I mean, he is only 16 and he's already 6'5. He might even grow til he's 6'8, and then what will he have to do, run the 800?

Comment

Michael Jordan's height never seemed to hinder his quickness - his first two steps were as fast as anyone's. I bet Bolt could handle the 200 just fine at 6'8.

Comment

It's not speed that height hinders, but rather acceleration.... for that reason I think Bolt will be a better 200m/400m guy than a 100m sprinter. I'm sure he can still run a respectable 100m, but he'll be better at longer distances.

Comment

I think vaun has had the best suggestion yet, even if it was tounge in cheek.
            Apparently Michael johnson has run a 1.45 800m in training.
            If Usain Bolt has as much potential i.e sub 44 400m, as people on this board say he does, I for one would love for him to one day step up to 800m.
            When I say one day I mean in ten years or so.
            Seb Coe could do the 400m in 46.8ish at his absoloute best, his 800m best time equates to two laps at 50.8ish. The difference being four seconds. If a sub 44 400m runner could somehow get themselves into this sort of shape they would be doing to laps in late 47's. If this could be pulled off that gives a 1.34 800m.
            I know that is an absoloutley perfect case scenario, but how long has it been since we have had a really quick 400m/800m force. Alberto Juanonterro? proved it could be successful, I think Usain could be the man to take Kipkiters record sub 1.40.

Comment

I seriously doubt Michael Johnson ever ran 1:45 for 800 in practice.

Comment

Seb Coe had 44 high,45 low 400m speed ( refer to his father,Peter Coe`s book on middle distance training)...world class 800m/1500m runers are freaks of nature in terms of their energy system`s..pure sprinters like Bolt are pure anarobic creatures....keeping his speed and adding the arobic base needed is something I don`t think he he`s capable of doing..pure sprinter

Comment

I struggle to beleive it also.
                  I read it in a running magazine, where it also said that MJ has 'apparently' clocked 1.45 for 800m.
                  When you think about it, it would'nt be that out of the question two laps of 52.5+. That is some 9secs off his best. You wouldn't have to be that fit to acheive this.
                  All this pondering however make me wonder also, how much training can help your 400m time. If you wanted to take a man off the street and turn him into a 44sec man, you'd probably need him to go sub 50sec in his first try, surely you could not train 6secs into someone.

Comment

Seb's book (running free?)lists his PB as 46.85 or there abouts.

Comment

I feel what speed he has would be negated by all the milage need to move up to the 800m.....once again, 800/1500m runners are a diffrent bred in terms of genetics....I seen 400m men move up and run good to great 800m but i`ve never seen a 100m/ 200m man make that move all the way up..once again, the sprinter is an anarobic animal..not arobic....could you imagine trying to get a true sprinter to up his training to 50 to 80 miles a week in the fall..something that goes against all sprint training theories..and from a mental stand point , I don`t think you could get the sprinter to go for it ...( I coach hurdlers and sprinters at a div.II sprint power house so I speak from experence) ..but it makes fro interesting chat

Comment

I dont think Usain is a 100 runner to be honest. I mean, he has the ability to run a good 100meter time and he does on occasion, but just because he can - doesn't make him a 100 runner. MJ ran a 10.12 i believe back in his baylor days, but he was still considered a long sprinter. Anyway, my point is, Usain is a 200 and 400 runner for now. He hasn't reallly matured fully, and physical developments may cause him to move up to the 800 in a few years b/c as someone said earlier, height increases hinders one start.

Comment

I have a question that i would just like to throw out there: If Usain didn't turn around or look at his competition while running, what do you think his PR in the 200 and 400 would be?

Comment

I agree that the traditional 800/1500 type will not be the one to break either the American/World/1:40 barrier. The 800 is a dash now, and you need unbelievable raw speed to handle it. The strength is a factor that can be accounted for with a little more fall training.

My suggestion is to convince a solid 400 guy to move up--I'm talking about a consistent 44-low 45 performer. But wait a minute, I think the U.S. already has a guy like this. And he already runs the 800. Now the only thing holding him back in most of the races I've seen him in is somebody to chase down, which he does clearly well on 4x4 legs.

Who is this man of mystery--Jonathan Johnson of Texas Tech. I think he is a few years away from really making a dent on the world scene, but he is crazy fast, strong as an ox, and races with incredible guts. We all saw his performance at U.S. nationals. I'm sure his tactics scared Krum a little bit.

Am I being too forward in my thinking, or is this the guy that could do it?

Comment

I believe if Bolt grows to 6' 8", the 400 will be his only event. If you look at athlete heights from different events, all the tall guys are 400 runners. Krum may be the tallest 800 man, and I can't think of any 200 guys taller than maybe 6' 2"

Coe was a 47 runner according to his book, with a 46. on a relay or something.

Michael Johnson's reported training is laced with distortions. The 56 page picture book aimed at teens from 2000 called Sprinter Deluxe quotes one of his "training" workouts as doing a set of 600s where, "he likes to go through the first 400 in about 48 and finish the 2nd 400 in around 46". All combinations of those splits result in a 600WR. So why doesn't he have that record?
                              http://www.amazon.com/o/dt/assoc/handle ... 1892920328

The current 800WR is here to stay. Cherish it for what it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X