Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: 7-8 3/4 Walerianczyk at 20

You know better than to throw out a straight line like that!

Leave a comment:

• NormZylstra
    replied

With Poland scoring 3 of the top 4 at the U-23 meet ... why are the Polish such good high jumpers?

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied

It's true that HJ is an event where you can do very well while you're very young - this happens more often here than in any other event. Still, Walerianczyk's progress has been remarkable - from 2.14 in 2001 to 2.27 last year to 2.36 now. After seeing this guy jump last weekend, I would no longer be shocked if he cleared 2.40 this year. Speaking of optimal weight... he said his success this year is due to losing weight - and he hopes to shed another 4 lbs. or so before Paris.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I don't follow the women's stuff all that closely, but I know that Uli Meyfarth was only 16 when she tied the WR to win Oly high jump gold in 1972. Amazingly, 10 other people entered the recordbooks before Meyfarth appeared again as a worldrecordsetter 10 years later! (and 11 years later)

Leave a comment:

• bubba
    replied

Any theories why that would be the case?

Optimal weight to jumping ability ratio?

The same doesn't appear to apply to LJ or TJ and I have no idea if it applies on the women's side.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Taking nothing away from Waler(etc), but to be a top high jumper at a very young age is actually quite common.

First 7-footer, Dumas, was only 18 at the time. Next WR holder (ignoring the built-up shoe guy) is Thomas, 19 at time of first WR. Next WR holder is Valeriy Brumel, also 19. Matzdorf was 21, then Stones is just 19. Then Yashchenko is 18. Wszola is 23, then Mögenburg is 18.

I think we can safely say that Wal. is actually way behind the curve for a young jumper! :-)

Leave a comment:

• bhall
    started a topic 7-8 3/4 Walerianczyk at 20

7-8 3/4 Walerianczyk at 20

While we're discussing the youngsters... how about

HJ: 2.36 | 7-8 3/4 Aleksander Walerianczyk (Pol)

as a 20 year old? That's an impressive mark at any age but even more so for a young athlete in a highly technical event.
Working...
X