Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maria Mutola is underated

I think this athlete is far underated. If she were an american, the likes of Regina Jacobs( ...even though participating in 1500M) would hardly be mentioned. She [Regina] would pale in comparison. Maria has won as many races as contested, except for 1 or 2 that may have narrowly eluded her in an illustriuos career.

Re: Maria Mutola is underated

Het Track Monster, I totally agree with you. She has been on top of this event for the better part of 8 years. That's a long time to dominate an event.I Would go so far to call her the best women's 800 runner in history. The world record to me is very dirty,so Maria qualifies as the best to me.

Comment

Watch for a huge breakthrough at 800m for women in the coming weeks!

Comment

How is she under-rated when she's the favorite and everyone thinks she has been the best for a long while? Her best asset is that she can win from any pace, a rare skill in the 800.

Comment

I don't think she's underrated, either. All T&F fans I know acknowledge her as an all-time great. Actually, you may be overrating her... While she's shown great longevity at the top, she hasn't been able to run super-fast times - she's only no. 7 on the all-time list and her PB is identical to Ceplak. Moreover, for many years she couldn't beat top-class opposition at major champs - after her 1993 world title, she didn't win another major outdoor gold for another 7 years. She has learned to peak better nowadays, but her winning all major titles in recent years also has to do with the fact that none of her opponents is in the same class as Quirot or Masterkova...

Comment

I don't think we are overrating her. All we're saying is she has not caught the attention of the media as much as other runners. Plus you talk about those times, those times came from eastern block and russian influenced countries and they were run in the late 70's and through the 80's. The girl that set the record looked bigger than some runningbacks I had to tackle.

Comment

Have you ever taken a good look at Mutola?

Comment

YEAH she's short and muscular ,looks like a 400 runner. Those other women were tall and big. Mutola is ripped, she isn't the monster those girls were.

Comment

Krachtovilova (sp?) was a monster, the rest were just ripped. And yes, the specter of 'that subect' shall follow them forever.

Comment

Maria moved to Eugene area when she was about 15 to continue her education and to get the coaching she needed. Many of us who attend meets in Eugene have watched her deveolop into the world class athlete she is today. She was welcomed as another member of the Eugene Athletic Family and truly is a favorite each time she runs at Hayward Field. She originally was "discovered" as a soccer player and really did not "look like a runner". It has always been a delight to see this non running looking woman, "run like Hell".

Comment

A question for DanL, just how many sub 2:00min has she run. I know is it somewhere over the 100 mark. Can you dig up the top five in this event in terms of sub 2min performances?

Thanks Justin.

PS in the last eT&FNews you missed noting that East(GB) also PRed at 3:35.49.

Comment

This is the spelling: Jarmila Kratochvílová. I have a problem understanding what benefit would steroids (if it's indeed so) have on the healthy (meaning uninjured) middle distance runner. Is there any data supporting alleged performance enhancement? This is not shot put, where the performances came down 2-3 meters since the times of Slupianek, Tyskiewicz or Fibingerová.
                        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Steroids help every event, not just the power ones. They decrease recovery time between sessions thus allowing the athlete to train harder.

Comment

>I have a problem understanding what benefit would
                            >steroids (if it's indeed so) have on the healthy
                            >(meaning uninjured) middle distance runner. Is
                            >there any data supporting alleged performance
                            >enhancement? >>

Here's a post I made a couple of months back in the historical section about what steroids can do:

<<From a London Telegraph story on Ekkart Arbeit:

<< In one captured Stasi file written by the Sports Medical Service Deputy Director Manfred Hoppner (March 3, 1977), a man to whom Dr Arbeit reported, Hoppner states: "The positive value of anabolic steroids for the development of a top performance is undoubted.

"Here are a few examples. . . Performances could be improved with the support of these drugs within four years as follows: Shot putt (men) 2.5-4 metres; Shot putt (women) 4.5-5m; Discus throw (men) 10-12m; Discus throw (women) 11-20m; Javelin throw (women) 8-15m, 400m (women) 4-5sec; 800m (women) 5-10sec, 1500m (women) 7-10 sec." Dr Arbeit was a throwing coach for the East German Federation from 1982-88.>>

http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mai ... mott03.xml>>

People have this incredible misconception that going on the juice makes you look like Ahnold. Sure, they can, if that's the direction you want to go. What they do for runners (of all stripes) is make recovery from hard workouts easier. So if you could run x 200s at y speed clean, you run run 2x at 2y when on the proper program. It's certainly no coincidence that in the early '80s there were double-digit numbers of Soviet women breaking 4:00 in the 1500 every year and now there are virtually none.

Comment

Do you have data supporting this position? They are clearly anti-inflammatory, so training is less painful (more vigorous)in presence of injury. The anabolic effect clearly helps strength (weight-lifters, shot-putters, perhaps, just perhaps the sprinters), but I am not convinced of the benefits to the middle and long distance runners. By the way, the incredible times from the Chinese National Championship in Peking (?92 or so) I simply don't believe not because of drug suspicion. I think the timing was flawed (cheating, just like Emmian's 886 in Alma-Ata is highly suspect).
                              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Working...
                              X