X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pego
    replied
    Re: Maria Mutola is underated

So far this year, the T&FN lists 4 putters over 70 feet, 10 over 21 meters. I did not bother to check the all-time lists. In the last few years, 2 prominent ones were banned for 2 years (Belonog and Konopka, maybe a few more I missed). Am I just naive to think that all the testing of our times would catch more of them?

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

clean 70-footer - yes, as you said - definitely Matson was clean -which makes his feat over 35 years ago so remarkable!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I trained out with Maria Mutola in Eugene intermittently over a period of two years (25 - 50 sessions) and she is a class act. She is the consumate professional, hard worker, and a nice person to boot! If we're talking about character, as well as performance she's underrated. If we're talking just about performance she's still underrated.

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied

The first one, at the very least.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Garry - Let me ask you a question I've always wondered about. Do you think any male has ever thrown 70 feet in the shot who was clean?

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied

Tafnut, as far as the steroids are concerned, I have posted questions, repeatedly, rather than making any kind of statement. As far as the vitamins are concerned, in the developed world i.e. USA, Canada, most of (at least west) Europe, there is hardly ever a vitamin deficiency, no matter how much junk anybody including teenagers would eat. They may get fat, lazy, what have you, but not defficient. A placebo effect is real, when somewhat believes that the pills they are taking are helping, they are helping. That's why it's so difficult to establish a good study for any dietary supplements.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

"The effect of vitamins on performance (and training) is clearly a placebo effect. Is it possible that in certain events the steroids have similar mechanism of action?"

Disagree on both counts - vitamins have a distinct effect on your typical adolescent/college athlete who doesn't eat right. I have seen many runners diagnosed with deficiencies for which vitamins are prescribed. Secondly, the chemical effect of steroids in the body can never have a placebo effect. There is, however, no beneficial gain unless the athlete 'overworks,' which many do not, thinking that steroids magically create more muscle.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied

I appreciate everything Garry and 400guy1 are saying. I have no doubt that in certain events there is a clear benefit to the steroids (in a women shot put it clearly adds 2-3 meters). I've been observing this phenomenon ever since the anabolic steroids appeared on the scene in the mid-60's(I guess I am giving away my age).What I am saying is that I am not convinced it has a necessarily beneficial effect for every discipline of performance. 400guy1 mentiones vitamins. The effect of vitamins on performance (and training) is clearly a placebo effect. Is it possible that in certain events the steroids have similar mechanism of action? Don't misinterpret what I am saying. Strict ban must be maintained, there is no doubt about it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: Maria Mutola is under-rated

>I think this athlete is far underated. If she
    >were an american, the likes of Regina Jacobs(
    >...even though participating in 1500M) would
    >hardly be mentioned. She [Regina] would pale in
    >comparison. Maria has won as many races as
    >contested, except for 1 or 2 that may have
    >narrowly eluded her in an illustriuos career.

DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• 400guy1
    replied

Stop looking at physique...It's not always a dead giveaway, unless you can monitor it over a period of time(years). You see the muscles or the times but what you don't see are the practices that are beyond what you thought a human could do...not just one day, but day, after day, after day. There's testing, but it's not 100%. Let's say you were able to train(recover)at a high level for a year, and then you laid off the vitamins(not) for a month or longer. You've trained at such a high level that you'll be able to retain most of your strength, speed, training. So you're still in peak shape. And you pass the test. I know this thread is about Mutola, but I can't believe people are still asking...Do steroids work? Wake up! And what you read is just the East Germans...there's a lot more worldwide where that came from. We'll never know anything for sure except the few whose biochemists make a boo-boo from time to time and fail a test. But if she/he walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied

Let me remain a "devil's advocate" a little bit longer. One has to be careful with applying the Occam's razor to an isolated situation. Of the 800 runners that Garry lists, only Kratochvílová had the musculature suspicious of steroids use (actually she was so ugly even as a teenager that it's hard to tell). The res of them sure didn't look like it. Olizarenko (if I recall her physique correctly) and Kazankina for sure looked rather slim. Since I've been told that all East Germans were on drugs, we'll leave Grau and Wactel out of it. What about other running events? Only Koch and Kratochvílová broke 48 in 400, the times of Kocembová, Bryzgina and others of that period compare with Valerie Briscoe, Perec, 1500 and up has been improved (except the Chinese anomaly). Look at Paula Radcliffe. Times under 2:20 were great even for men (actually, her time boggles my mind).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

or to paraphrase the political slogan, "It's the steroids, stupid."

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I guess the GDR athlete's also used the KISS principle of preparation (Keep Ingesting Steroids Stupid)...

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

It was more succinctly explained to me by John Powell many years ago when he was the WR holder in the discus and said that in coaching others he used the KISS method (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Well at least I now know what Occam's razor is...for anyone else who'd never heard of it!!!

http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/OCCAMRAZ.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X