Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does one get into The Bible?

I'm one of (many, I'm sure) who would like to write for, or even be an editor for, Track and Field News. I know the staff is small, has little turnover and I probably won't become a millionaire there ... but there's still nothing I'd rather do.

Help!

Re: How does one get into The Bible?

OK - you're hired. I can pay you $15,000 a year with the chance to increase that by at least 2% in the next 5 years. Oh, by the way, we are located in the Bay area where gas is $4.79 a gallon and you can get a 500 sq ft studio apt, cold and cold running water for less than $2000 a month, I'm sure. Start packing.

Comment

Hey, I'll sleep in an abandoned building or a cardboard box on the sidewalk if it'll make a difference. I want it that bad (I'm not kidding, mostly).

Comment

well, rather than prostrate yourself in front of us all, contact him directly at
        [email protected]

Comment

I'm sure GH thanks you for that. I do, however, have a very nice large cardboard box in my garage I am willing to donate to the cause - it's approx. 32 sq.ft. and very clean.

Comment

Sorry if it comes across as prostrating; I just thought others would like to know about becoming a T&FN writer or editor. I guess I'm a little more nervous about writing a private e-mail.

Comment

OK, fine, I'll write it. Just cut and paste this:

Dear Your Royal Graciousness,
              I am but an abject servant of your magnificent glorification. Please do not take offense that I humble myself before you in beseechment of a crumb that falls from your table. Should you look mercifully upon my supplication, I would forever be in your debt (literally). If I could just lick stamps for a year a two, I'm sure I could climb the corporate ladder to pencil sharpener forthwith. I shall be eternally grateful for any consideration you might deign to show me.

Me again - that should do the trick. He really is a very fine fellow, once you get past that harsh sarcastic exterior.

Comment

How about you? Your sarcastic exterior is obviously quite thick.

Comment

I apologize - that wasn't meant as a put down to you or gh - just thought I put a light spin on your situation. Seriously, write him and tell him what your qualifications are - you never know . . .

Comment

gh is flying today and won't be on-line; don't know if he will (can) be logging on over the weekend or not.

Comment

>gh is flying today and won't be on-line; don't
                      >know if he will (can) be logging on over the
                      >weekend or not.

Is he on a plane or just vacationing in The Haight?

Comment

Well, I still hope he or some other T&FN staffer will comment on this thread, but of course you're right, I will have to contact someone personally sooner or later.

I have 10 years of sports writing experience, with the last 3 including at least some track & field work.

Dang, is gas really $4.69 there? I thought it was more like 2 bucks. It's about $1.45 here!

Comment

They seek him here, they seek him there
                          Those Boardies seek him everywhere
                          Is he in heaven, or is he in hell
                          That damned elusive EG-Hill.

Comment

Dear Journalist,

GH is the only one who can really answer your question, but you sound sincere, so if you'd like my input, contact me privately.

Comment

This thread got buried whilst I took a brief long-weekend's vacation, so I'm only now just digging it up.

There may be a few exceptions, but the basic rule for hiring for the magazine for decades has been that if and when we needed somebody (which is exceedingly rarely), then we put a notification in Track Newsletter, because if you didn't care about the sport and its essential numbers enough to subscribe to TN, then you basically didn't have a snowball's chance.

Now that eTN is free (with a magazine subscription) it's going to reach a LOT more people, but that would certainly be the first route we would take should a job ever come open in the editorial department. Track has to be at the very center of your being before you get hired at this joint.

gh
                              (e. garry hill/editor)

ps--I only paid $2.10 for gas yesterday!

Comment

Working...
                              X