Or which of these barriers will be broken first:

1:40 for the mens 800m
    30' Men's Long Jump
    20' Men's Pole Vault
    3:50 Women's 1500
    7' Women's HJ
    25' Womens LJ

Re: Which will come first......

When I was a Jr. High Runner I watched Seb Coe run his magical 1:41 800m and I dreamed of the day when 1:40 would be broken. Little did I know that 20-some years later I'd still be dreaming with no near term hopes in sight. I had hope in the mid 80's that progress was being made with Cruz and Gray but it took another 15 years before we would see even Coe's record fall.

Anyone want to guess on when (and/or who) might approach this barrier.

Back to back sub 50 second quarters ..... now there is a challenge.

Comment

>which of these barriers will be broken first:

30' Men's Long Jump
      20' Men's Pole Vault
      7' Women's HJ
      25'Womens LJ<

Guess what? One of these barriers has already been broken.

Comment

counting wind-aided marks, two of them have

Comment

My mistake.

Make that a 20' PV from an American.

and these are legal marks, no wind-aided.

Comment

See Usain Bolt thread for my theory on who will take the 800m sub 1.40. ( a sub 44, 400m runner)

Comment

800WR: Borzy looked promising a couple of seasons ago, but seems to have plateaued. Kipketer may have a couple more medals in him, but no records. The best 400 runner was Juantorena, and he topped out at 1:43, so forget Usain Bolt or whoever else might be in that category.
              Sub-1:40 may never be broken. I think Kipketer's record is a lot tougher than it's given credit for. Comparing the time with the 400WR and the 1500WR, it seems soft. But for only 3 men to be in the 1:41's, sub 1:40 is indeed a dream.

Comment

<This was also posted in the Bolt thread>

I agree that the traditional 800/1500 type will not be the one to break either the American/World/1:40 barrier. The 800 is a dash now, and you need unbelievable raw speed to handle it. The strength is a factor that can be accounted for with a little more fall training.

My suggestion is to convince a solid 400 guy to move up--I'm talking about a consistent 44-low 45 performer. But wait a minute, I think the U.S. already has a guy like this. And he already runs the 800. Now the only thing holding him back in most of the races I've seen him in is somebody to chase down, which he does clearly well on 4x4 legs.

Who is this man of mystery--Jonathan Johnson of Texas Tech. I think he is a few years away from really making a dent on the world scene, but he is crazy fast, strong as an ox, and races with incredible guts. We all saw his performance at U.S. nationals. I'm sure his tactics scared Krum a little bit.

Am I being too forward in my thinking, or is this the guy that could do it?

Comment

Mens 200m or Womens 100m: i doubt any of us will be alive when either of this record is broken

Womens 400m or Womens 800m: women's 800 maybe in 20-30 yrs

Mens LJ or Mens 400: men's lj in 25 yrs

Mens 400H or Mens PV: men's pv because they will eventually start over since they are using new pegs

Womens 200 or Womens Hep: women's hepta because there will probably be an octathlon or decathlon in 10-20 yrs

Or which of these barriers will be broken first:

30' Men's Long Jump
                  20' Men's Pole Vault (this has happened)
                  7' Women's HJ
                  25' Womens LJ

Comment

>I
                    >agree that the traditional 800/1500 type will not
                    >be the one to break either the
                    >American/World/1:40 barrier. The 800 is a dash
                    >now, and you need unbelievable raw speed to
                    >handle it. The strength is a factor that can be
                    >accounted for with a little more fall training.
                    >

It has been a dash for over forty years, and the greatest champions and fastest runners have still been middle-distance types. Of world-record holders since WWII, only Jauntorena was a world-class 400m man; of the current all-time top ten fastest runners, only Borzakovsky has any real credentials at 400m. A T&FN article published sometime in the last year said that the 800m has a greater aerobic component than most people think. And if you look at splits, those beaten down the homestretch rarely lose because of inferior speed but because of inferior endurance.

We've had this argument before; if "a little more fall training" would do it, George Kerr would have destroyed Peter Snell. It was, however, the other way around. And while it's true that the sport is different now, the sprinters still have not come to the fore. The "unbelievable raw speed" required for a 1:40.00 works out to 25 seconds per 200m.

Comment

Working...
                    X