X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• susie faver hamilton

Whatever happened to susie?

Re: susie faver hamilton

you mean other than she's the national outdoor leader at 1500 and a medal contender at Worlds?

Comment

Yeah, and like, whatever happened to Maria Mutola? Last I heard she was dominating the women's 800, but that was like, um, days ago or something.

Comment

>you mean other than she's the national outdoor
        >leader at 1500

actually, Regina Jacobs is, at the moment...

Comment

After being out-kicked by Regina Jacobs for the umpteenth time, Suzy complained about Regina's following tactic, saying, "All in Europe go out hard and run an honest race." (Quote from TFN)

Suzy should learn the difference between a championship race and one of those GP races that are half time-trial and half race, where the promoters provide paid rabbits to set a pace for the elite runners. Unless you're El Guerrouj, who always seems to get a Moroccan teammate in the final to pace him, you're on your own. If Regina feels she can out-kick Suzy, why should she lead the race. If Suzy knows she can't out-kick Regina, it's her problem to solve somehow. This is called "racing."

Cheers,
          Alan Shank

Comment

I had to laugh when this topic bubbled to the top again. There is no susie faver.

Comment

> If Regina
              >feels she can out-kick Suzy, why should she lead
              >the race. If Suzy knows she can't out-kick
              >Regina, it's her problem to solve somehow. This
              >is called "racing."

Bravo. As a former distance runner myself, I've frankly always been perplexed by these notions of "sharing the pace" and such nonsense. I always thought the purpose was to beat the other guy, not cooperate with him. I was one of those guys with no kick, and when I got outkicked by my two main rivals (consistently), I didn't piss and moan about them not "doing their part," I kicked myself for letting them do it yet again. Finally, in our district championships (with top two earning a trip to regionals, and the 3rd staying home), I laid down the hardest pace of my life, got so far ahead that one of them threw in the towel and I took 2nd and almost stole the whole race. Made it to state, eventually. I just wish I would have used that tactic all season. Yes, being 40m ahead by yourself in the mile is hard work, but that's just what some of us have to do. (In case you're wondering, rabbits annoy the hell out of me.)
              "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

To be contrarian, who doesn't admire Pre's take on this, which was (and I paraphrase grossly) go all out from the get-go and see who has the b**** to finish. He could have won many races kicking but chose not to (usually). What's not to like about that mentality? Then it's not just about the win - it's about the effort. I guess I'm the only one who agrees with Suzy and thinks that Regina could and should help set the pace in domestic races. If she did, they would BOTH be a lot more ready to compete internationally with the hotter paces.

Comment

Re: Suzy Favor Hamilton

>To be contrarian, who doesn't admire Pre's take
                  on this, which was (and I paraphrase grossly) go
                  all out from the get-go and see who has the b****
                  to finish.<

Pre would have had the balls to paraphrase grossly without asterisks.

Comment

but he is dead and that makes all the difference.

Comment

>To be contrarian, who doesn't admire Pre's take
                      >on this, which was (and I paraphrase grossly) go
                      >all out from the get-go and see who has the b****
                      >to finish. He could have won many races kicking
                      >but chose not to (usually). What's not to like
                      >about that mentality? Then it's not just about
                      >the win - it's about the effort.

We're talking about a national championship race here. It seems to me that to most athletes the win, or at least placing in the top three, would be paramount. With Prefontaine, setting a hot pace was his best chance of winning, so there was no conflict. He did not complain (except about Harald Norpoth outkicking him in his first international race) about having to do the work to make the race the way he wanted it.

Cheers,
                      Alan Shank

Comment

Just to get things straight on this one, Suzy added at that press conference that she would have done the same thing if she were in Jacob's shoes (admitting Regina has a better kick from a moderate pace). Suzy was simply expressing her frustration with the problem of what always turns out to be a one-on one race at Nationals and her desire to get over to Europe where the fields are deeper, and the paces are quicker.

Comment

Re: Suzie Taking The Pace

The issue about whether or not to take the pace is all relative. Why do people think that taking the pace is a good thing for everyone? Each runner has to deal with their own strengths and weaknesses as a runner. There have been runners who have won wire to wire, and runners who have won with a kick. Its called Racing folks!! Racing is a conundrum that fascinates us all. The tactics, the adjustments, the fear, the competition all come into play when we are talking about Racing. You can't criticize people who have tremendous leg speed for waiting and kicking. If Regina has Suzy's number in the last 200 meters, and knows she can outkick her, then I dont blame her for using that successful tactic. Remember one thing. The person who is a great kicker can never guarantee that the race will be a kickers race...But someone who is great at running from the front can always guarantee that they will have their pace because they actually set it. Its a fascinating puzzle..

Comment

Females don't have "balls."

Some have more guts than males, though.

Comment

When Suzy hangs it up, she'll have an 800 under 2, 1500 under 4 and possibly yet a 5000 under 15. There are numerous records and championships at all levels. So, she has not won a WC or OG medal. She still is no doubt Wisconsin female athlete of the Century and one of the bright stars of the T&F of the past almost 20 years. Just how many people have these credentials?
                              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Working...
                              X