X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Suzy Favor Hamilton

...one of the bright stars of the
    >T&F of the past almost 20 years.

Are you joking? All that cheese must have gone to your head as I assume you're from WI...

Comment

Yes, I am. Just tell me which facts did I misinterpreted. When you start calling people names, you'd better have a supportive evidence.
      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Please don't take offence, I work with people from WI and they laugh at being cheeseheads! Yes, your facts are correct, however SFH has to be one of the all-time underachievers in track history. On the world stage she has failed at just about every opportunity. I have sympathy for her mental problems and especially the suicide of her brother. However, your statement of her "being one of the bright stars of T&F in the last 20 years" just doesn't correlate with her consistent failures. "Stars" tend to win or medal at the important meets.

Comment

There is no doubt that she choked a few times (perhaps a few more). What I am trying to say is that when you look at the life-long accomplishments, she has few peers. I know you could name a few, but not that many. Some people just don't win championships (world, olympic or whatever). Ron Clarke was a running machine, never won anything major. Nor did Dan Marino, nor did Karl Malone. I could probably produce a few more names, but it is not necessary. And, no I am not offended by being called a cheesehead, I wore one proudly to the 1994 Rose Bowl where we kicked the UCLA butt ( 2 more followed). By the way, I followed Suzy's career ever since she was a high-schooler in Stevens Point.
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

> And, no I am
            >not offended by being called a cheesehead, I wore
            >one proudly to the 1994 Rose Bowl where we kicked
            >the UCLA butt ( 2 more followed).

LOL...if you went down to Venice Beach that weekend I probably saw you! No point arguing any more over SFH...agree to disagree...

Comment

>When Suzy hangs it up, she'll have an 800 under
              >2, 1500 under 4 and possibly yet a 5000 under 15.
              >There are numerous records and championships at
              >all levels. So, she has not won a WC or OG medal.
              >She still is no doubt Wisconsin female athlete of
              >the Century and one of the bright stars of the
              >T&F of the past almost 20 years. Just how many
              >people have these credentials?

Is this a trick question?
              Regina Jacobs already has all of the above + multiple WC medals + world and american records.

What records and championships does Suzy have at the senior level?

Comment

>Yes, I am. Just tell me which facts did I
                >misinterpreted.

The truth is simply data to be manipulated.
                Talent allows one to run fast. That is only part of being a successful competitor. No one doubts that Suzy's parents gave her some fine gifts in the athletic department. What she has done with them is underachieving. And one gets a little tired of the spin being put on her unachievements by her entourage these days (husband the sports attorney, remember?).

Outside of Cindy Bremser and the brief career of Cathy Branta, Suzy has a monopoly on the "Wisconsin World."

Also, if Wisconsinites don't like being called cheeseheads, tell them to stop wearing those ridiculous headpieces at Packer football games. Otherwise we WILL assume they are happy with the term they appear to embrace.

Comment

As far as Wisconsin athlete of the century...ever heard of Kory Everson?

Comment

"What she has done with them is underachieving."

I do take issue with that statement. She has been near the top of the annual lists for a long time. Are you saying because she doesn't have a haul of medals, she is underachieving? Was Ron Clark an underachiever? She is merely not a great racer at the most ELITE levels. So what? Shouldn't we applaud her obvious dedication to excellence and the obvious effort she put out to do her best? Do we sit in judgement of an athlete who has done what 99.9999999% of us couldn't do with all the training in the world? Shame on us for denigrating a great athlete who only does her very best.

Comment

>Talent allows one to run
                      >fast. That is only part of being a successful
                      >competitor. No one doubts that Suzy's parents
                      >gave her some fine gifts in the athletic
                      >department. What she has done with them is
                      >underachieving. >>

How do you figure she has "underachieved"? As a basic measure of talent, let's see what the all-time top 10 high school list looks like (combined 1500/1600/mile, represented as mile times):

4:35.24 ................. Polly Plumer (University, Irvine, Ca) 82
                      4:36.94 ....... Kim Gallagher (Upper Dublin, Ft Washington, Pa) 82
                      4:37.45+ ............. Alisa Harvey (Jefferson, Alexandria, Va) 83
                      4:37.4+ ............. *Francie Larrieu (Fremont, Sunnyvale, Ca) 69
                      4:38.5i ................... *Debbie Heald (Neff, La Mirada, Ca) 72
                      4:38.71+ ............... Lynn Jennings (Bromfield, Harvard, Ma) 78
                      4:39.31+ ....................... Suzy Favor (Stevens Point, Wi) 86
                      4:39.3+ ........... Margaret Groos (Harpeth Hall, Nashville,Tn) 77
                      4:39.7+ ................. Kathy Gibbons (Alhambra, Phoenix, Az) 72
                      4:40.08+ ..... Michelle Rowen (Washington Township, Sewell, NJ) 83

I see three names in there (Larrieu, Jennings & Gallagher) who have international credentials that can rival hers--not necessarily as milers--and all were faster than her to begin with. So if what SFH has done is "underachieving" I'd hate to see what you think about such obvious bums as the rest of the list!

C'mon! Compared to the average person of her original talent level she's a gross over-achiever!

Comment

>>Talent allows one to run
                        >fast. That is only
                        >part of being a successful
                        >competitor. No one
                        >doubts that Suzy's parents
                        >gave her some fine
                        >gifts in the athletic
                        >department. What she has
                        >done with them is
                        >underachieving. >>

How do
                        >you figure she has "underachieved"? As a basic
                        >measure of talent, let's see what the all-time
                        >top 10 high school list looks like (combined
                        >1500/1600/mile, represented as mile
                        >times):
                        >So if what SFH has
                        >done is "underachieving" I'd hate to see what
                        >you think about such obvious bums as the rest of
                        >the list!

Again, if you are talking purely in terms of talent, yes, the woman has talent. If you are talking, as I stated I was, in terms of complete competitive athletics, she has underachieved according to her talent. Talent means little without a head for the sport. All the lists printed here just back up my point.

Someone who can run 3:57 but bails out of championship races the minute she faces some adversity?

Yeah, I call that underachieving. Especially when homers try to convince me otherwise!

Comment

In the context of semantics, GH, you're obviously correct.

However, how about, "SFH has consistently failed to live up to her talent and ability in important races that matter on the world stage"? Then again, I guess that means she hasn't achieved what she, the press, and T&F fans felt she was capable of achieving. Isn't that underachieving?

I'm now anticipating somekind of intellectual spanking from you professional wordsmiths. But what the hell, figure if you're getting up at 3am you'll be a bit knackered right now!

Comment

Thank you, GH and "what the hey". I kind of felt alone for awhile, sniff, sniff. Hmmm, tell me about Kory Everson. And by-the-way, I did not object to being called a cheesehead. I objected to a statement "cheese got to your head" - a huge difference.
                            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

>How about, "SFH has
                              >consistently failed to live up to her talent and
                              >ability in important races that matter on the
                              >world stage"? Then again, I guess that means she
                              >hasn't achieved what she, the press, and T&F fans
                              >felt she was capable of achieving. Isn't that
                              >underachieving? >>

Sorry, don't buy that either. I think people are remembering her long run of making U.S. teams with "no success" and applying her performances of today to those meets. Let me splain it to you Lucy.

SFH won 3 US Junior titles, starting in '84, so you think of her as being around for ever. Then she won 4 NCAA titles. So all of a sudden she's 7 years into a high-profile UNITED STATES career. She also has a PR of "only" 4:08 and isn't remotely a world-class runner. At this point, many/most would quit.

1991--first year out of school, improves to 4:06, doesn't move out of the heats of the WC, but in a year where she's 23rd on the yearly list, who would really expect her to?

1992--improves to 4:04, doesn't move out of heats of OG. That's a year where it takes a sub-4:00 to get even 4th, let alone medal.

1993--a 4:10 year (don't know why), doesn't make WC team, so doesn't let anybody down in a big international.

1995--runs 4:05 makes it to WC semis. At 14th on yearly list, that's about as far as one would expect her to go.

1996--4:08, doesn't make OG team, no screwup in the biggie.

1997--improves to 4:03, misses WC final by 0.13. Since she's only #20 on the yearly list, this could be viewed as an OVERachievement.

1999--hurt, no outdoor running

2000--reinvents herself, picks up some needed sprint speed and improves to 3:57. Facing killer kicker like Szabo (who could probably outkick just about any man on the board) she does the only thing she can do; she grabs the race by the balls and runs from the front. Coming off the final curve she's in the lead but you can tell she won't win. But a medal still seems likely. Then it all goes to hell and she goes down. A phenomenally brave run and you people have the gut to call it disappointing? Holy shit!

2001--a 4:00 again has her figured as a contender but she doesn't make it out of the semis. Why? Becuase she gets hit from behind and knocked off her stride. In her distress she makes an ill-advised comment about "saving it for Z├╝rich," or the like, but she was clearly out of it.

But even if the '01 thing was a total head-caser, you're going to characterize that whole career as a disappointment. Maybe disappointing to fans and sportswriters (including T&FN?) who have built her up to being more than she is, but I see virtually nothing to fault in her big-meet performances, given her sad lack of native speed. She has worked her butt off to overcome that, hanging in there to PR at age-32. I say the woman deserves more respect.

Comment

Since Hmmm did not respond, I ran a Google search.Number of hits? Kory Everson (as a Wisconsin athlete):0
                                Suzy Favor Hamilton: over 4000
                                by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Working...
                                X