Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: lets get rid of the race walk

Why on earth would you take a thread that was inactive for three days, well off the front page of the Board, and resuscitate it? Or do you guys just love to have people beating up on you? It's a dumb thread. Let it die.

Leave a comment:

• racewalker
    replied

>The reason is because events like race walking is
    >ruining the sport. If we get rid of these
    >pointless and boring events then we would
    >probably progress better as a sports. Come on
    >really! Walking? That is so lame!

Yes, of course.
    Drugs, falling participation, crappy leadership, kids particpation in soccer, programs being cut, general lack of fitness in kids, lack of media coverage and the like, ARE the minor issues. It is clear that the meteoric rise of walking in the last 30 years has come at the expense of T&F - in fact, T&F is secretly controlled by the "12 racewalkers" in the country for their own cruel purposes and financial gain. What we really need to do is get rid of the walks and then EVERYTHING will be all better. I can't tell you how many times we've all gone to meets and heard people in the stands say that they were going to stay at home until a friend guaranteed them that there was no walk in the meet. Of course, since there are so few meets with walks, it may be hard to explain why anyone in the general public even worries about the threat. But, hey, let's not let facts influence our beliefs.
    Same for the Olympics - The networks HAVE to put on 20 hours of "Up Close and Personal" track segments to nullify the 5 seconds of walk coverage. ("And here is, 5 seconds of racewalking, the 'Rodney Dangerfield' of T&F, the winner being some guy with a name that is mostly consonants and isn't an American, so let's go back to our next 'Up Close & Personal' segment, after which we will review every alleged or proved drug cheat in known history, with a special look at Ben Johnson and the fact that Carl Lewis now lives huddled in a refrigerator box behind a 7-11 because of what Ben, who is not an American, did to him." I know, I know - the disgust at walks just boils over when you hear that sort of thing.)

>The reason is because events like race walking is
    >ruining the sport.

What sport are we talking about here? Are there other events "like racewalking" in T&F that we don't know about? Is the IRWC (International Racewalking Conspiracy) holding secret events "like racewalking" that are siphoning off athletes/fans/money/TV time from the poor sprinters? The horror.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

That was almost as funny as the time water came out of my kitchen faucet!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>fuck the channel-flippers<

Thank you for the offer, but I'd rather watch TV.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

The reason is because events like race walking is ruining the sport. If we get rid of these pointless and boring events then we would probably progress better as a sports. Come on really! Walking? That is so lame!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

OK first of all, I am not really that adamantly against the racewalk... I just like to play along with the crap on this forum by exaggerating my disregard for that event. It doesn't really matter to me whether the event stays or goes - either way, I'm not watching it. With that said, one thing I am adamant about is that we shouldn't compromise the sport for marketability purposes. I really don't think track is ever going to be popular or marketable in America, so I say we should keep it as pure as possible for the real fans and say fuck the channel-flippers

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Brian - I never understood this issue (and it has indeed been done to death). Why, when T&F is trying like hell to gain support, save college programs, and increase participation - why do people WITHIN the T&F family suggest cancelling events?? The number of racewalkers is v/large, and they are usually track savy.

Do you think Greg Lemond or Lance Armstrong denegrates mountain bike racing? Hell no - in fact I've seen them actively support it. They are smart enough to realize that the more participants in their sport the more visible it will be.

It is pure silliness no promote getting rid of events that have such a large following. It is also indicative of someone who is obviously unfamiliar with T&F's large issues (i.e fan base, notoriety, marketing, and yes $$$).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

"Not threatened by race walkers",

GET A REAL NAME!

Leave a comment:

• ht30
    replied

Race walk is one of the most popular events for Masters athletes.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Brian,

GET A LIFE!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>I'm sure somewhere there is a racewalkers forum
    >where all they talk about is how to get rid of
    >all those stupid running events from track and
    >field.>>

Yes, and every serious walker in the country--all 12 of them--contribute religiously.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Yeah yeah tolerance and blah blah blah... WHY NOT just have cycling races with the brakes manditorily applied??

Leave a comment:

• miles
    replied

I'm sure somewhere there is a racewalkers forum where all they talk about is how to get rid of all those stupid running events from track and field.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

That is the stupidest thing been said yet

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Of course, a steeplechaser could probably cover the distance much faster if he or she simply ran around the water obstacle. Right?

>Lots of endeavors could be described as
    >HARD...... does that mean we have to make them
    >all into track events? What I don't like about
    >the walks is that they violate the basic premise
    >all track events- that is, by walking, you are
    >not covering the distance as quickly as possible.
    >What is the point?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X