Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Saïdi-Sief At Worlds?

I can't believe some of which I am hearing. People believe that a driver under the influence of alcohol with a blatent disregard for others lives should get their liscense back in a few weeks or months? Driving is a 'privilege' in our country, not a right. The same goes for a cheater in our sport. Would it be looked at differently if he cut the marathon course, used a light shot, or hit opponents with a baseball bat? He cheated! He should be lucky and thankful to EVER get a chance again and should never fathom asking for a shortened penalty. I believe in second chances, but it won't necessarily be the same chance. On the karma issue, notice how few of the drug cheats return, without drugs, and find themsleves a far cry from where they left. This issue again sends the message in our sport that drugs and cheating is negotiable.

Comment

>I can't believe some of which I am hearing.
      >People believe that a driver under the influence
      >of alcohol with a blatent disregard for others
      >lives should get their liscense back in a few
      >weeks or months?>>

From my experience, the legal systems in most states (and most countries outside Scandinavia?) believes that a DUI only earns a brief suspension of privilege. No? (sorry for drifting off-topic a bit, but it's an interesting question)

Comment

States, Yes! Countries, No! Several result in execution. Sorry to get off the subject. I just thought the comparison of someone cheating in t&f and someone putting lives at risk was a stretch. I tried to get back on topic, but the damage was done. I'll learn from my mistake and lurk more, post less, until I have something more positive to add to the real topic.

Comment

the two year penalty for the first offense is reasonable not cruel and usual punishment and it is not very light either. also the second offense being life is fair too. very few (if any) people who have gotten two year suspensions have come back and been at the same level before the suspension.

Comment

so how come and Carl Myersclough is currently competing?

Comment

>Saidi should be allowed to run. He's suffered
              >enough. The point of the ban was to keep him
              >from competing for 2 years; not to keep him out
              >of the World Champs 2 years and 2 weeks later.

If he qualifies, he will have missed no big events. You're right, I think he should have been put in the comfy chair and that's it.

Comment

thanos, I agree! Few come back from suspension anywhere near the same level from where they left. Do you think it is the lay-off or lack of drugs that accounts for this? Of course, it is probably a combination, I am asking for other opinions on this.

Comment

Myerscough is not competing. GB did not name him to their team, because of the suspension.

Comment

>Myerscough is not competing. GB did not name him
                    >to their team, because of the suspension.

Not true.
                    The controversy about Myerscough is about the OLYMPIC team, since the British Olympic Committee has a rule excluding people who have served drug bans from competing in Olympic Games. There was never any question regarding sending him to the World Champs.

Comment

Not true. See

http://www.iaaf.org/WCH03/news/Kind=2/newsId=22141.html

and

http://www.sportcentric.com/vsite/vcont ... em,00.html

Myerscough has finished his suspension. As I understand it, UK Athletics or UK Oly Committee is not allowing previously banned (not sure what level of ban this applies to) athletes to compete in the Olympics. This does not apply to World Champs.

Comment

...and even if you're talking about the Olympic team, I believe there's about a 99% chance of him being included. The official policy is one thing, but the Olympic Committee grants an exemption pretty much to everyone who applies for one. There's only ever been one athlete who was left off the team for this reason (and none in T&F)

Comment

I really don't believe this. The iaaf have done it again and given Andrea Longo of Italy two extra days to make the standard after serving two years. How can this possibly be a positive thing for the sport?

Comment

Hey, it's not Longo's fault! He ordered Rice-a-roni and the chef gave him Testos-a-roni instead. :-)

Comment

>I really don't believe this. The iaaf have done
                              >it again and given Andrea Longo of Italy two
                              >extra days to make the standard after serving two
                              >years. How can this possibly be a positive thing
                              >for the sport?

There is no way that I will agree with it but just for fun and giggles, what is their rationale for allowing the extension?

Comment

I'm not sure the exact reasoning behind the IAAF's decision, but I know for a fact that Longo had evidence that a supplement he was taking contained nandrolone, the drug he tested positive for. The supplement had been approved by the Italian Olympic Federation beforehand. Longo had the supplement tested by a lap in Germany and it did indeed contain nandrolone. I believe he was pursuing his reinstatement via some legal avenues but I'm not sure if they'd gotten him anywhere.

In any case, there'll be a lot of pressure on him to meet the time in Helsinki.

Comment

Working...
                                X