Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is USATF Violating USOC Constitution?

If you look at the USOC Constitution & Bylaws, it says that each Olympic sport has to have its own national governing body. Under ยง220522, which details eligibty requirements for the ngb, it says this

<<(a) GENERAL.--An amateur sports organization is eligible to be recognized, or to continue to be recognized, as a national governing body only if it--

(1) is incorporated under the laws of a State..... as a not-for-profit corporation HAVING AS ITS PURPOSE THE ADVANCEMENT OF AMATEUR ATHLETIC COMPETITION>> (caps mine)

Anybody think that's USATF's purpose in this day and age? Or that it should be?

Re: Is USATF Violating USOC Constitution?

USATF passed a stringent review last year by the USOC, which was mostly a witch-hunt over about 10 words in the entire operating procedures / bylaws. Oddly, the USOC was told by Congress that it was in violation of its own bylaws and the resulting mess ensued.

Definitely barking up the wrong tree here....

Comment

I think my pal Jimmy was barking at exactly the right tree. He's asking how at a time when Mr. Masback spends all his available time trying to find a way to pay athletes more money that the organization's central point is not to promote AMATEUR athletics.

Comment

A couple of points. First, at many levels, USATF does, in fact, promote the advancement of the sport at an amatuer level. I would make a guess that 75% of USATF members are not, nor will ever be, anything other than amatuers. This includes the very large youth contingent, together with most of the open and masters members. Not to mention unpaid coaches and officials. And, USATF works hard to promote those portions of our sport.

In fact, they have been taken to task by many that they are spending too much time trying to be too much to everyone and not focusing enough on the elite (i.e. pro or "semi-pro") athletes.

That being said, why should track be any different than basketball (can you say Dream Team) or tennis. If someone thinks that we should be in violation of a non-sensical, long given up for dead notion that the Olympics are an amatuer event, then they are way out of touch with reality.

Comment

I find it fascinating that Paavo Nurmi is calling out from his grave to complain about the head of USATF when he himself was banned from the sport after 1928 for being professional. That's some serious sour grapes.

Comment

I think a couple of years ago the USOC and IOC were on the USATF drug testing policies and made them take care of some issues after the CJ Hunter affair. Overall, I think the USATF serves most of their members well. Makes me wonder if corporate sponsers don't want to see "their" people test posititve and thus effect the drug issues. I hope not.

Comment

Working...
            X