Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• washed up

Monique Henderson. Obea Moore. Alan Webb? The list of talented high schoolers that found the going rough at the collegiate level or after high school is long. Alan Webb did the best thing he could do for himself and that was to go back to Razcko. Anyone that has ever coached a talented athlete that did not have faith in the coaching or coach will relate how unenjoyable the experience was and the fear of the 'cancer' spreading to other members of the team and I am sure that coach Warhurst, though probably deeply disappointed at losing Webb, would agree. The concern for Webb is obviously getting confidence back after his surgery. Another thing, for those that also competed in sports after high school, the experience is very different - adjusting to new people, more demanding academics, and a changing body that is usually adapting to tougher and/or different workouts. I do feel that Razcko is over his head and it is his duty to have a long range plan that is reasonable and will give Webb the necessary competitive experiences to where he can compete at a much higher level. Many of the postings have been humorous. I just hope it has a happier ending.

Re: washed up

Considering that she got 400 gold at 2002 World Juniors, I think it's too early to call Monique Henderson a wash up. That's despite her underwhelming collegiate times, compared to her high school feats.

Comment

Does anyone know exactly what happened to Obea Moore? I know he went to a California JUCO for a year or so and then spent some time in prison...Just curious to know how it eventually ended up (not well, I assume).

Comment

The whole Obea Moore mess was a sordid drama indeed.

Age-group icon who flourished as a freshman and sophomore in high school, being a great athlete and seemingly responsible young man (his mom was a high administrator in local schools), then all heck broke loose. A definite change occurred during his junior year, where his comments and demeanor went from a polite youngster to one who felt he was destined to beat Michael Johnson.

Best estimation is that the transformation his character underwent was more a by-product of his poor choice of peers (ended up in local gang and had trouble with the law late into his teenhood).

Had issues with grades, then had major problems trying to get into a school. If I remember right, the trail went something like this >>>

Wished to attend USC, but did not satisfy the admission requirements. Also considered Bubba Thornton's program in Texas, after building a relationship with him at PanAm Juniors in Chile (when Obea went 45.14 as a sophomore!). Did attend Pasadena City College, not to mention a brief stop at either Santa Monica College or Long Beach City College (was so long ago, hard to remember right now).

Almost landed with Irv Ray at Cal Baptist, but then reports of a "serious instance by Obea" elsewhere (will leave it at that) led Irv to back off. Went to Morehouse College in Georgia, but soon had problems there. Also eventually surfaced at another NAIA school (name of the place eludes me at this minute).

Had less-than-spectacular guidance in "the community" (as Muir HS 'athletic hangers on' called their neighborhood), capped by an intense track coach eventually arrested and convicted for less-than-exemplary behavior of a sexual nature with males at his school.

Obea has since surfaced at a few residential stops over the years, usually joining individuals with shady backgrounds.

There was a story in his local paper that detailed many of the problems he was having after high school. The lead was something like this (recollection is hazy, as it appeared maybe six or so years ago):

PASADENA -- Obea Moore, once the self-proclaimed future of U.S. sprinting, has raced onto a road to nowhere in record time.

From brief stops at multiple Southland juniors colleges, to blown educational opportunities at numerous four-year institutions, to brushes with the law, the off-the-track exploits of the former Muir High dash phenom has been sprinting in reverse mode in recent years.

Honestly, the kid suffered from succumbing to peer pressure in bad circles. Seems like he is slowly turning the corner these days, but has a very, very long way to go and no coach seemingly wishing to take a chance on him.

Comment

add William Reed to your list too...

Comment

really sorry to hear about obea moore. i saw him in philly at penn relays in 97, he seemed like a possible medalist for 2000 and a favorite for 2004. obviously he listened to the wrong people and got into trouble. he is still a young man (23 i believe), but more like a has been than a future star.

Comment

I was wondering if anybody knew any detail on that Muir HS coach and the trouble that he got into. His name, year it happen, possibly a link to an article.

Comment

See http://www.laweekly.com/ink/printme.php?eid=5962 for info on the Muir coach.

Comment

Speaking of sudden departure. Does anybody know what happenned with Dawn Sowell? She was unbeatable in 1989 and the, poof, she was gone.
                  "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                  by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

If anyone wants to get a good perspective on the pressures young athletic superstars face read Chris Lear's Sub 4:00. The book deals with the highs and lows of Alan Webbs already turbulent career.
                    You suddenly appreciate that a elite athlete can be on top of the world one day and at the bottom the next day. With an exception of a few good races at Michigan Webb's career after high school has been a confusing nightmare.
                    Still, he is still young and may turn into a solid 3:50 miler. If Webb comes back he can fill a void in US miling when Krummenacker retires within the next 5 years.
                    I still think Tim Broe may develope into the USA's next great miler.

Comment

>The whole Obea Moore mess was a sordid drama
                      >indeed.

Wished to attend USC,
                      >but did not satisfy the admission requirements.
                      >Also considered Bubba Thornton's program in
                      >Texas, after building a relationship with him at
                      >PanAm Juniors in Chile (when Obea went 45.14 as a
                      >sophomore!).

Let's hope that last part ain't true, since Thornton wasn't on the Pan Am Juniors staff Maybe you meant the '96 World Juniors?

Comment

Maybe there should be an unwritten rule about putting kids on the covers of national magazines. Obviously some can't handle the pressure and/or notariety.

Comment

Alan Webb has been reading these post about himself and he is pretty pissed off!! In hospital after his surgery Webb was heard yelling at his laptop after reading posts critical of his recent track performances. "I bet they are a bunch of coach potatoes that have no lives", he was heard saying to the person sharing his room.

Comment

Thanks for that suspect information Mr."Drudge".

What are your sources? What hospital was Webb at?

I don't think we will be hearing from Mr. Dirt again.

BS

Comment

You are full of shit Mr.Dirt.

Comment

Working...
                              X