Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe Webb will realize hes not the main man now.

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe Webb will realize hes not the main man now.

With Krum,Lunn, Robison, & others tearing up the
    track. This might just be what Alan needs is to
    not even be in the top 5 US Guys. Hopefully it
    will light a fire that I think he has lost. Money
    and expectations can ruin some people. Opinions?

Re: Maybe Webb will realize hes not the main man now.

Once again - leave the guy alone. He had a down year after an up year. I can virtually guarantee that his pilot light never went out. His appendicitis put him out and he needed the down time. Let's meet again next year and see how he's doing then, OK? Until then speculation gets us nowhere. Sorry to sound testy, but there's so much more going on now than Webb. Let's attend to the matters at hand - Paris awaits.

Comment

Yes, well said. Leave the kid alone...if he makes it to the top, we'll all applaud. If not, it's nothing to gloat & hoot over. Re: our new crop of 1500 guys: I'll get really excited about it all when they get down into 3:30/3:31 territory. Frankly, 3:35 was great for Herb Elliott 43 years ago, but it doesn't mean diddly squat on the circuit today.

Comment

As Steve Holman said in an interview about 9 months ago "a 3:30 guy will beat a 3:35 everytime". Holman was a 3:31 runner and that is why he was ranked among the Worlds top ten. A 3:35 1500 runner can be ranked anywhere from 20th to 70th in the world. A 3:35 1500 is no more impressive than a 4 minute mile was 30 years ago.

Comment

>As Steve Holman said in an interview about 9
          >months ago "a 3:30 guy will beat a 3:35
          >everytime". Holman was a 3:31 runner

Except when Steve was running in the US Champs....

That guy choked more than any male athlete in my memory. Thankfully he and SFH never got together and had kids. Those kids would surely be so talented and never win anything after college that ever mattered.

Comment

Holman like Falcon sometimes choked. Still Holman was the last great US miler. His times speak for themselves.

As for your last statement I assume you mean Holman and Hamilton getting intimate and producing a future prodigy of US milers. This will never happen since both runners are married. Why would you think of such a strange sexual scenario?

Comment

Strange scenario?! Suzy is babalicious and Steve is a stud muffin; I can certainly think of a lot stranger couplings.

Comment

I am not going there.

Comment

Nevertheless, I think SFH will still have her day. I just wish that she'd dump those damned sunglasses.

Comment

>>As Steve Holman said in an interview about
                    >9
                    >months ago "a 3:30 guy will beat a
                    >3:35
                    >everytime". Holman was a 3:31 runner
                    >

Except when Steve was running in the US
                    >Champs....

That guy choked more than any male
                    >athlete in my memory. Thankfully he and SFH
                    >never got together and had kids. Those kids
                    >would surely be so talented and never win
                    >anything after college that ever mattered.

Holman did become USATF champ and he did finish 9th at the WC's and he did compete in Europe with the best. He faced his problems from '95, '96 head on and, in turn, did things no other U.S. miler has done in over 10 years. Remember, guys like Krum, McMullen, Berryhill, Pyrah and Jennings did not even make USATF finals when clearly having the ability.

Take Holman's record against these guys head to head at strictly USATF competitions and I think you will see he stacks up well, for it being his career weakness.

Comment

"That guy choked more than any male athlete in my memory. Thankfully he and SFH never got together and had kids. Those kids would surely be so talented and never win anything after college that ever mattered."

MJR - remember when Jason Richardson came on the board and objected to the way he was being put down? The naysayers backed down when confronted by a real live person with feelings. Would you make the above statement to their faces? I think not. If it doesn't pass the face-to-face test, don't say it. It's mean-spirited and does not leave your image in a good light either.

Comment

Holman's fast times speak for themselves, just like his competitve record in tactical races speak for themselves....

Comment

Which means that WE don't have to say a thing.

Comment

He ranked No. 4, No. 5 and No. 10 in the world at various times. You don't get in the T&FN Rankings if you habitually choke in big meets. Only 9 Americans have ever scored more points than he in the Rankings.

Comment

There is no doubt, Holman had a lot of talent, and has run well.

The record also shows, Holman had some difficulties in more tactical events.

For a miler with his pedigree, there is more struggling or bad luck there, than a record of success.

still, he'd be on the list of top 10 USA milers...

scott, ryan, liquori, maree...to start the list, then holman some where between 5th and 10th

Comment

Working...
                              X