Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London Bombing A Tragedy

Innocent people died. Going off on political tangents about which side of the political spectrum "caused" such an affair is an affront to their memories.

Next person who goes down that road will be taking their summer vacation sans posting privileges here.

Thanks.
    gh

Re: London Bombing A Tragedy

Thanks,for yanking the earlier thread, GH. Your comments sum up the feelings of sane folks.

Comment

I didn't see the thread earlier today (I haven't been on line).
      I learned some lessons in the weeks after 9-11 four years ago.
      People nearest the impact- the regional community-people whose family or neighbors didn't come home that day- need some shock recovery time, grieving time. And it's longer than you might think.

I was on another 'net board ('64-65 New York World's Fair discussion board) in the fall of 2001 and people outside the New York area (including myself, I admit) spent a lot of time discussing what we as Americans should do about it, how should New York replace the office space that was lost to accomodate the financial community's needs, whether tightening of the civil liberties that Americans have grown accustomed to is the right response, etc etc) and when a New Yorker complained that people needed to realize that people's emotions were hurting here and the LAST thing they wanted to talk about was ANYTHING other than compassion; then one Coloradoan commented 'it's been five months, how much time do you New Yorkers need to just get over it, get on with life, and go get the perpetrators so it doesn't happen again?' Of course that degenerated into comments by New Yorkers that that kind of response is insensitive, over the top and uncalled for, and it was downhill from there.
      We had to eventually agree collectively to just not talk about 9-11 any more. And we've avoided the subject since then.
      By the way, it is a very successful board and everybody gets along quite well almost all the time. We just talk about World's Fair stuff and legacy stuff like Billy Graham using the park for his recent 'last rally'. And yes, lots of talk about a potential Olympic Games in that same park.
      There is even talk about whether Olympic Games today serve some of the same purpose and role in society that World's Fairs served in previous generations.
      But we've learned to stay away from the 9-11 topic.

Comment

Just to be clear since I guess this was "my thread". I started it because, shortly after getting up this morning, they broke on to the news I was watching to report it. At that point they thought it might even be a power failure. To paraphrase something slightly I heard today, everyone on this board is not only a T&F fan, but, generally speaking, a fan of all sport and reasonably intelligent and knowledgeable about the world in general. After yesterday's 2012 announcement, I thought it was important enough to put out there. It's just unfortunate that it went the way it went given how tragic this is to the killed and injured and their families. Predictable as more information came out, I suppose.

Comment

I was on another 'net board ('64-65 New York World's Fair discussion
          >board)

Wow. How many are on that board?

Comment

>>Wow. How many are on that board?<<

About as many as are on the TC board :-)

Comment

About 250 registered, with about 30 being daily 'regulars'.
              I'd say the message traffic is about 50% of what we see here at TFN, but there's no seasonal surges during 'track season' either. It's about the same year-round.
              You can post photos on that board, so there's a lot of sharing of 'discoveries' and historical research stuff. Kind of fun if you're into history and research and personal remembrances.
              Recently I found a series of color slides bought in a 'dog pile' lot on eBay that we figured out shows President Johnson's motorcade when he came to help his friend the President of Venezuela dedicate the Venezuela Pavilion.
              With people's skills on that board rivaling the FBI, we also determined that the Secret Service chase car right behind LBJ's car was the 'Queen Mary' car and it was the first time it was used since being brought out of impound after the JFK assassination (it was right beind JFK's blue X-100 in Dallas), and the car LBJ was riding in was one he'd been loaned by J. Edgar Hoover while the president was waiting on a new limo (and the X-100 was being rebuilt in Cincinnati).
              All on three slides that somebody discovered in a junk pile in a yard sale (and some VERY skilled researchers on call!).
              There are even more arcane research that would bore most people other than history nerds- like successfully mapping which country's flag was on which flag pole over a two year time- which flags got replaced due to a revolution in that country- etc., all from analyzing hundreds of photographs scanned in high resolution.
              Why?
              Why not?
              Otherwise, we'd have to go out and mow the yard!

Comment

thank goodness that thread got yanked before I got on there and ranted against the terrorists sympathizers.
                ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

There's always the local psychiatric unit you can stand in front of and rant from.

Sounds like you'd have a better audience there, too.

Comment

twit, dont sell yourself short.
                    ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Any word from Jon on this issue yet?

Comment

>thank goodness that thread got yanked before I got on there and ranted against
                        >the terrorists sympathizers.>>

keep using inflammatory language like this and you'll be the first to go. Last warning.

Comment

>Any word from Jon on this issue yet?

Jon just moved into his new house and as of this morning his internet connection was not up, so it may be a day or two until we hear from him.
                          There are no strings on me

Comment

>>thank goodness that thread got yanked before I got on there and ranted >against >the terrorists sympathizers.>>

>keep using inflammatory language>like this and you'll be the first to go. Last warning.<

So we're worried about making sure the terrorist sympathizers' feelings aren't hurt?

Comment

I was on another 'net board ('64-65 New York World's Fair discussion
                              >board)

Randy - what's the URL for that list? Great memories for me. The 64 World's Fair is where I first got really interested in the Olympic Games. I spent the summer in Teaneck, NJ with my aunt and uncle, and Uncle John took me to the Olympic Trials that summer in both track cycling (Flushing Meadow) and track & field (Randall's Island), as well as several events of the World's Fair later in the summer.

Comment

Working...
                              X