Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: London Bombing A Tragedy

I regret also that the thread took a wrong turn, and I didn't help any. In my heart, I know that people are people, regardless of their race, culture, religion. When I was at Tennessee, one of my best friends was a guy in the dorm room next to me, from Pakistan. One of UT's most distinguished alums is Jordanian PM Ali Ragheb -- something we are very proud of. He delivered a beautiful commencement speech a few years ago:

http://www.mfa.gov.jo/speeches_details. ... menu_id=31

God bless us all! Let's try to get along!

Comment

Bill, the message board is here:
      http://www.peacethroughunderstanding.org
      like TFN here, you just register by giving yourself a user name (registering is free), and jump right in!
      First time folks logging in sometimes spend hours just reading through the traffic over the last few years (since about 2000).

and there is an affiliated web site here, with a humongous archive of information:
      http://www.nywf64.com

There are enough 'experts' on the board that you can ask just about any question or say something like 'I seem to recall seeing' this or that, and there's a good chance that within minutes somebody will post pictures, links, etc. that completely fill in your rusty memory, and you'll say 'YES, that's it!'.

Comment

Read Thomas Friedman in todays NY Times.

Comment

>>Any word from Jon on this issue yet?

Jon just moved into his new house and
          >as of this morning his internet connection was not up, so it may be a day or
          >two until we hear from him.

I live quite a distance away from London, but I have quite a few friends down there. I've heard from a couple of them, but not all of them. The whole vodafone network went down apparently, so it makes communication a bit difficult. Relatives of some of the people I work with had some close shaves in London yesterday morning (i.e. passing through Liverpool St Station just minutes before it happened). Scary stuff...

Comment

London is an unsettled place at the moment. Some of the City (ie the financial district) has been cordoned off again (Friday morning) due to suspect packages.

We were 'trapped' in our building for several hours yesterday (the police advised against taking to the streets). It was very difficult to get home.

The death toll will rise - and dozens and dozens of people have been seriously maimed - limb loss, eye loss, paralysis.

I can only imagine how New Yorkers felt on 09/11 (and I know that these attacks were not as severe as those on New York).

Everyone wants the perpetrators to be caught - but at the end of the day, no matter who they are, we all have to remember not to blame an entire race or creed for the mindless acts of a tiny, mislead minority.

Clive

Comment

<<Everyone wants the perpetrators to be caught - but at
              >the end of the day, no matter who they are, we all have to remember not to
              >blame an entire race or creed for the mindless acts of a tiny, mislead
              >minority. >>

Just so there's no misunderstanding, the original thread wasn't pulled because of any "attacks" on the bombers themselves. It was because of politically-based name calling relative to the U.S.

Comment

.................. It is important however that those engaged in terrorism realise that our determination to defend our values and our way of life is greater than their determination to cause death and destruction to innocent people in a desire to impose extremism on the world. Whatever they do, it is our determination that they will never succeed in destroying what we hold dear in this country and in other civilised nations throughout the world.....The Prime Minister, Tony Blair
                ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

The whole vodafone network went down apparently, so
                  >it makes communication a bit difficult.
                  >>>

I couldn't figure out why this happened yesterday. Just read a Times article that said they deliberately jammed the network to prevent further bombs being set-off by cell phones.

Comment

><<Everyone wants the perpetrators to be caught - but at
                    >the end of the day,
                    >no matter who they are, we all have to remember not to
                    >blame an entire race
                    >or creed for the mindless acts of a tiny, mislead
                    >minority. >>

Just so
                    >there's no misunderstanding, the original thread wasn't pulled because of any
                    >"attacks" on the bombers themselves. It was because of politically-based name
                    >calling relative to the U.S.

I find it disturbing that you say you pulled the thread because of political name calling rather than because of the hateful, bigoted posts on the thread calling for the mass murder of arabs and muslims. Political name calling is inappropriate here, of course, but its an odd first choice for indignation when blatant racists are posting far worse sentiments.

Comment

>Just read a Times article that said they deliberately jammed the network to prevent further bombs being set-off by cell phones.

I assume that means that the blackberries weren't working then either. The ironic thing about that is that most government officials in Canada and the US have been issued them since they worked so well during 9/11.

Comment

Thankfully we have a moderator that is fair, balanced and courageous.

>>thank goodness that thread got yanked before I got on there and ranted
                        >against
                        >the terrorists sympathizers.>>

keep using inflammatory language
                        >like this and you'll be the first to go. Last warning.
                        ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

I agree with kevinsdad but do apologise for resorting to name calling; simply couldn't stand it anymore (never been threatened with a lawsuit here before, either!)

Comment

On the topic of dumb statements by politicians, this one from Howard Moscoe is up there:

""I would wonder if the terrorists first would have to find where Toronto is before they attacked it," he said. "Canada is not as vulnerable as the U.S. or Britain or Spain.

"We don’t have any troops to pull out of Iraq.""

Canada was one of 5 countries specifically named as targets and the other 4 have now been hit. Not to mention the fact that we have troops in Afghanistan.

Comment

>""I would wonder if the terrorists first would have to find where Toronto is before they attacked it,"

Why not send them the gold gilted invitation just to make sure?

Comment

<<I find it disturbing
                                >that you say you pulled the thread because of political name calling rather
                                >than because of the hateful, bigoted posts on the thread calling for the mass
                                >murder of arabs and muslims. Political name calling is inappropriate here, of
                                >course, but its an odd first choice for indignation when blatant racists are
                                >posting far worse sentiments.>>

You're reading a bit more into my statement than is there. I did not read the whole thread, because it had turned so noxious (reading from the bottom up), so when I found the rancid politics I yanked it. Somebody then noted that it had been pulled because of attacks on bombers and I said that wasn't the reason. If there are IDed guilty parties they can be attacked at will of course.

But since I cut off early, I did not see the post to which you refer regarding Muslims. I would hope that it's obvious that that kind of talk isn't tolerated from the get go, and there's no "politics" involved in that decision at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X