Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: London Bombing A Tragedy

<<Listen, if y'all run across me next year (and 2007)
    >@ USATF Nationals @ Indy, I'll buy round of beers...except for Garry >>

That's OK, if you did, you wouldn't have enough money left to subscribe to the magazine :-)

Comment

They evacuated 20,000 people out of Jon's home city's downtown yesterday after a bomb threat.

Just think of the havoc loony people will be able to cause with a phone call.

Comment

>>Been watching a lot of the coverage on this over the week-end. You have
        >to
        >really hand it to the Brits. Stiff upper lip and all that. I guess once
        >your
        >country has lived through the blitz...
        >>>>

There is a large element
        >of truth in the stiff upper lip image we have. Also, we were subject to IRA
        >attacks for 20+ years and this one came at no great surprise. My favorite quote
        >came on CNN yesterday, ..."I'm still going to work on the tube. Sod al
        >Qaeda".

Toronto calls in the armed foces if they get over 2 inches of snow. I read an article today that said some anti 2012 people were muttering under their breath that they figured the damn terrorists screwed up again because if they would have done it two days earlier, they wouldn't have got the Olympics. I AM JUST PASSING ON THE PARAPHRASED QUOTE.

Comment

"Sod" Al Queda?
          Translation please-

Maybe something like 'bury them'?

Comment

"f*** em" or more technically "screw em". Think about what sod is short for.

Comment

Oh I see, not the grass kind of sod, but
              like Sodom and Gomorrah.
              or Sod-om Hussein. I get it.

Sodom and Gomorrah got fire and brimstone (whatever that it is) rained down on them by the big CEO upstairs because of their choice of- let's say "recreational activities".

Comment

errrr....he meant, sodomise al Qaeda

Comment

Interesting article from John Simpson.

London bombs need calm response
                  http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4671577.stm

When the big IRA bombing campaign first hit London in the 1970s, a famous columnist of the time, Bernard Levin, advised his readers to respond to the bombs as a refined hostess might respond to a dinner-guest who belched loudly at the table: just ignore it, he said.

At the time it seemed to me effete and mannered. Now I see it was exactly the right advice.

The first British response to IRA violence was the worst. The IRA was identified as an enemy which had to be destroyed.

In 1972, the British Army fired into the crowd at a big demonstration in the city of Derry, killing 14 innocent people.

There were undercover killings of IRA volunteers later, and a team of three IRA people were summarily executed when they were caught on an operation in Gibraltar.

All these things did was to convince many people in Northern Ireland that the British Government operated on the same low moral level as the IRA itself.

Comment

Looks like they got the copycats:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4727975.stm

Comment

>>The IRA was identified as an enemy which had to be destroyed.

correct strategy

>>fired into the crowd

horrible tactic

>>undercover killings

poor choice of tactics

>>summarily executed

bad tactic

The strategy was right. The tactical plan was what was screwed up.
                      Just because they went about it extremely poorly doesn't mean the objective wasn't correct to begin with.

I know you're trying to draw parallels to today's situation.
                      Firing indiscriminately into villages and towns without selectively targeting the enemy, summary executions and the like will ALWAYS backfire by pushing those sitting on the fence into the enemy's camp, strengthening him. That doesn't mean that GOOD tactics are not available which will achieve the goal of destroying the enemy given time and patience. There are no shortcuts in this kind of war. It takes resoluteness, strength, the willingness to carry a big stick (to quote Teddy Roosevelt) and use it when necessary (but judiciously), and the patience of Job.

Comment

Pretty obvious why the IRA has changed their tune.

Comment

Well they have apparently picked up all four of the suspects. The two that were apprehended in west London (Notting Hill) were 300 yards from my brother-in-laws house (and he was home).

Comment

On 7 July 2005 happened terrorist attack in London.

It was presented, that Al Qaeda executed the terrorist attack. In real, the terrorist attack did England government and announced that it was work of Iran in order to the England government could impose sanctions on Iran. England believes, that Iran is controled by mafia, which was damaged by sanctions. It‘s expected that tha mafia will send out assassin on person which was implicated into case. This person is protected by police. Assassin will get into trap, the police will catch him and uncover the mafia.

Comment

It's the new MATT MARRIOTT.

YAY!!! :mrgreen: :lol: :roll:

Comment

I think more like a spammer....

Comment

Working...
                                X