Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: Tim Montgomery should not have broken de WR

>"Yes; Tim Montgomery ran a brilliant 10.39 in Sweden a few days ago. I think he's got some work to do.<

Yes, indeed. He's got some more diapers to change.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

"Finally someone who understand what I meant.
    Thanks Thanos.
    Ok, Tim is the WR holder, nobody can take that from him but he is far from being the best sprinter.
    He did not go under 10.00 after that.
    About the trash talking, well most of them does that... but there are a few that does not, like Frankie Fredericks. And it is not because they do that we should accept it... and Tim now a days only do the trash talk and is forgetting to run..."

Yes; Tim Montgomery ran a brilliant 10.39 in Sweden a few days ago. I think he's got some work to do.

Leave a comment:

• Brazilian Track fan
    replied

Finally someone who understand what I meant.
    Thanks Thanos.
    Ok, Tim is the WR holder, nobody can take that from him but he is far from being the best sprinter.
    He did not go under 10.00 after that.
    About the trash talking, well most of them does that... but there are a few that does not, like Frankie Fredericks. And it is not because they do that we should accept it... and Tim now a days only do the trash talk and is forgetting to run...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

guys the brazilian guy is right and his point is that monty might have the title of the 100 meter world record holder, but he is not the best 100 meter runner. with the adjusted time list as the lone factor maurice greene is the best with the most time in the list including the top 3. with championships being another factor maurice is best again with 3 world championships, 1 olympic gold, five usatf titles and even one world indoor title. tim has only won the grand prix final ! enough said, but paris is another story...

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

EVERY - I mean EVERY male sprint WR-holder, by genetic design, in the last 40 years, has been BIG TALK. The sprinters are famous for their excess testosteronisms. Monty talking smack is part of the game. It's how they talk themselves into it. Fans eat it up (while simultaneously criticizing it). I do think Monty may be done for the year, but he and Mo will be talking big again next year.

Leave a comment:

• Brazilian Track fan
    replied

Look, tafnut...about the tittle... I am brazilian and I am not used to write in english and after I posted the message I saw the mistake "de" instead of "The". But as I said before I made my point clear.
    About Tim, I really agree with you, he got the wr fair and square. But really think that is not good for the sport to have a wr holder that only perform with a tail wind, and he said that before de DN Galan. I never saw Greene, Bailey or Carl Lewis saing something like that and because of things like that I believe that the WR was in better hands when Maurice was its owner.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

I'm with Orange 100%. Given all the requirements for a WR, Tim broke it. No one else ever, under any legal conditions, has run faster. Any athlete will tell you that the stars must be aligned correctly (plus luck) to break a WR. Even the name of this thread is ludicrous. Of course he SHOULD have broken 'de' WR, he ran it faster than Mo, Leroy, Carl et al ever ran it. It was a magnificent achievement and should be highly esteemed. Period. Whether or not he wins the OG or WC is irrelevant. If he loses, then the winner had to beat the WR-holder - good for him.

Leave a comment:

• Brazilian Track fan
    replied

Orange, I agree with you, a lot of things were perfect that day for Tim, tail wind, reaction, but I believe that one WR holder that needs all that to perform is not so good for our sport.
    Everybody knows that publicity is everything to make it more popular and having Tim as the fastest man in the world is not good publicity.
    Last I heard he said he would go under 9.87... and we see what happened in the DN galan...we need someone who wins tittles and brake records to bring attention to track.

Leave a comment:

• Orange
    replied

According to the rules now in effect, Tim Montgomery holds the world record in the 100 meter dash at 9.78. To be sure, alot of things went right that night such as an almost perfect reaction time (.104) & the maximum trailing wind
    (2.0 M/S). You cannot disrespect this performance for circumstances outside of the athlete's control. In my opinion, only the fans are interested in wind/altitude conversion factors.
    Maurice Greene watched from the stands as his world record fell by only .01 seconds under the most favorable of circumstances, and I'm sure he wasn't happy about it. At this point in time most people would naturally agree that Maurice Greene is the better lifetime sprinter to date. Unfortunately his best races were run with nil or even small headwinds. If he hadn't cramped up in the latter stages of the 01 WC at Edmonton, the world record would still be his.
    Like it or not, Montgomery has run the fastest legal time. We track fans should not view his record with contempt. Tim Montgomery may not be the world's best sprinter of his generation, but he does have the fastest performance. There is a difference between being an Olympic Gold medalist/World Champion & a world record holder.

Leave a comment:

• rmayes
    replied

You better pressurize those indoor venues too so they’re all the same air pressure.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

If that were the criteria then why even recognize a world record as such. Montgomery ran a legal 9.78 and that in my book is the world record. He may run a 9.90 into a 20 mph headwind next, week and guess what, it would be a great race, but he would not have broken the world record. WHy not just move all race indoors from now on so their would be no question?
    Peace JP

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

oops - should have looked further - thanks

Leave a comment:

• bubba
    replied

altitude. 680m worth of it.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

Thanks for the link - but here's question. The third adjusted time is a 9.83 for a 9.82 run into a 0.2 HEADWIND. Why is the adjusted time slower?

Leave a comment:

• Alan
    replied

Indeed, when you adjust for wind and altitude, Montgomery's WR ranks only 14th all-time. Go to:

http://desert.jsd.claremont.edu/~newt/t ... index.html

When the page comes up, leave all the settings alone (including the blank line) and just click at the bottom on "View Rankings." You're also free to opt for different settings, in addition, such as the all-time adjusted 200 rankings.

I would accept Montgomery's WR in a formal sense (he has the fastest time within our existing framework), but in no way (at this point in history) would I consider Montgomery the greatest sprinter of all time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X