Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlie McMullen-Sub 4 Runner-passes

Charlie was the 56th American to break 4 and a very competitive master.

McMullen, Charles Lewis (MacMullen):

Peacefully at home surrounded by his family on Monday August 4, 2003 at age 52. Predeceased by his father, Charles
    MacMullen. Survived by his wife, Nancy; mother, Eula; brothers, Timothy (Marilyn), Jack (Joann), William and Robert
    (Barbara); sister, Deborah (John) Rath; mother and father-in-law, Jack and Ruthann Stubbs; brother-in-law, John (Cheryl)
    Stubbs; sister-in-law, Joanne (Chris) Williams; and several nieces and nephews.
    He was a Special Education Teacher with The Rochester City School District and Volunteered with Monroe Co. Special
    Olympics Program. He was a successful runner associated with Rochester Track Club and the Genesee Valley Harriers and an
    avid fisherman.

Friends and family may call at Vay-Schleich & Meeson Funeral, 1075 Long Pond Rd. (N. of Maiden Ln)
    Thursday 2 to 4 and 7 to 9. Funeral Mass will be celebrated at Blessed Sacrament Church Friday at 10:30AM.
    Interment, Parma Corners Cemetery. Contributions may be made to the Lipson Cancer and Blood Center at Rochester
    General Hospital or Monroe Co. Special Olympics in his memory.

Re: Charlie McMullen-Sub 4 Runner-passes

The HMRRC website had these inspirational words:

<<After high school, he broke the four-minute-mile barrier several times, realizing a goal of his youth. “I had thought about breaking four a thousand times,” he once said. “Every hard workout, every easy run, I would fantasize about doing it.... What drove me, and it may sound kind of trivial, was I wanted to do something special. More important, I wanted to be something special. If you broke four minutes, you were something special.” >>

Comment

Charlie was a beautiful person. Talented, outgoing, nice, sensitive,one hell of a runner and a great roommate.

Comment

>The HMRRC website had these inspirational
        >words:

<<After high school, he broke the
        >four-minute-mile barrier several times, realizing
        >a goal of his youth. “I had thought about
        >breaking four a thousand times,” he once said.
        >“Every hard workout, every easy run, I would
        >fantasize about doing it.... What drove me, and
        >it may sound kind of trivial, was I wanted to do
        >something special. More important, I wanted to be
        >something special. If you broke four minutes, you
        >were something special.” >>

Here is the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.hmrrc.com/news.htm

How the hell gh stumbled across it is beyond me. Never met the man really but briefly chatted with him at about 9600 meters of a 10km in 92. Explained to him that given where I knew everyone was, he had the masters race in the bag. He took a look at my premature grey and said "aren't you a master". "No". He gave me an incredulous look and kicked my sorry ass in the last 400 meters. Took consolation in the fact he was a sub 4 guy...and he did drag me to a pb.

Comment

Working...
        X