Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: Jacobs out of Zurich - is she setting up her excuse for

Suzy is lame. Everyone knew this would happen. Let's hope she never even comes up in a thread on this list again.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Here we go again.
    Unable to win, she did the "heroic dive" for the viewing public, dounble arm up throw and all.
    Deal with it, Garry.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

SFH admitted herself she panicked after producing several other excuses she brought out the bona fide reason. She panicked.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

[Erratum]

"If I recall, she ran only 3 times during the indoor season this year, with the third being the charm, winning the 2001 World championships in 4:01.67."

OOOPS! I goofed! That should read '2003 World Championships'.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

>Aggressive enough that SFH was scared enough to
    >panic and drop out in Sydney 2000 when she
    >realized she had a pack of aggressive racers on
    >her heels. Fast enough that neither Jacobs or
    >Hamilton seems able to make it to a bona fide
    >outdoor championships final in recent years if
    >ever.>>

I was sitting on the homestretch a few rows from the track in Sydney, were you? There wasn't an iota of panic in SFH and she didn't drop out; she displayed more balls than you'll ever have in a race and ran herself into exhaustion. It was a stirring sight to see.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied

>Fast enough that neither Jacobs or
    >ever.

What on earth are you talking about??? If you define recent as including only the 2001 Worlds and 2000 Games, you have certainly narrowed the possibilities. Jacobs won Worlds silver in the 1500 in '97 and '99. I would consider that recent (and ever).

Quit jumping on some Letsrun-inspired bandwagon without verifying your facts.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>Aggressive enough that SFH was scared enough to
    >panic and drop out in Sydney 2000 when she
    >realized she had a pack of aggressive racers on
    >her heels. Fast enough that neither Jacobs or
    >ever.

Exactly.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Aggressive enough that SFH was scared enough to panic and drop out in Sydney 2000 when she realized she had a pack of aggressive racers on her heels. Fast enough that neither Jacobs or Hamilton seems able to make it to a bona fide outdoor championships final in recent years if ever.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

One other thing: The world hasn't gotten faster and more aggressive; AYHAN has (3:55.60). Except for Regina (3:59.98i), the rest of the world has yet to break 4:00.0. Unless they're as determined to challenge Sureyya in the final 500, it may come down to who is the fittest to grab at least a silver, and I believe a healthy Regina (even at 40) will be near or at the front of the chase pack (that is, those who are chasing Ayhan) at the final back stretch.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

"Why do people like to recite what an athlete did years before as proof that something works?"

Because evidently it still works. If I recall, she ran only 3 times during the indoor season this year, with the third being the charm, winning the 2001 World championships in 4:01.67. I did mention that she ran only 3 times in the second paragraph, but apparently you missed it. Will it work for the outdoor World championships? That remains to be seen.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Why do people like to recite what an athlete did years before as proof that something works? It worked in 1999 for Jacobs. That was 4 !!!!! years ago. I doubt such a strategy would even get her the top six this year. Athletes age and change. The world gets faster and more aggressive. Let's look at what is happening now not four years ago.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

[Addendum]

"She's run the 800 twice (once in 2:00.01), and the 1,500 twice, and nothing more."

That is, she's run the 800 and 1,500 during the spring outdoor season in the U.S. Her last race was the 1,500 at the USA Track and Field Championships.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Could very well be that she is using the same strategy that Ayhan is using; that is, not running very many meets before the big one.

In the indoor season, she ran in only 3 meets that I know of: The Boston meet where she ran 3:59.98, the U.S. Championships, and the World Championships.

Ayhan didn't run in a single meet until the ISTAF two weeks ago. The next week, she ran 3:55.60 in Zurich.

The strategy of not running in Europe at all before the World Championships may work for Regina, especially when you consider that she is 40. She's run the 800 twice (once in 2:00.01), and the 1,500 twice, and nothing more. If I'm correct, she didn't run that much in Europe in 1999, and she ran 4:00.35 at the World Championships for 2nd.

By the way, if I'm correct, that 3:59.98i in February was her first race of the year. To be honest, I'm glad she passed up Zurich, because she probably would have really hurt herself trying to challenge Ayhan in that 3:55.60. Better to save it for Paris.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

If she shows I pick her for 3rd. I think at this point in her career she is comfortable with competing Nationally and being a home star may be satisying enough. I'd like to think I am wrong, but winning the Worlds is much different than competing on your home soil where you have dominated the territory for decades. Fear factor!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

where is your evidence, even a subtle hint, a shred of doubt, about the legitamcy of these runs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X