Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do people think about sub 4 miles??

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do people think about sub 4 miles??

This is a serious question. I have run a sub 4:00 mile. Sometimes it catches me off guard that am a part of history. What want to know is if the running community thinks that this is an accomplishment to be recognized. I think 250 (plus a few) Americans have done it and fewer than 1000 world wide. Obviously it used to be a big deal, but now that some high schoolers are doing it does it take the magic away? Thanks

Re: What do people think about sub 4 miles??

Highschoolers did it 30 years ago. That doesn't less the accomlishment. It is still a milestone mark. It is a very elite crowd who can make the claim to have run sub-4.

It is something to be very proud of. Congratulations for the accomplishment.

Comment

I agree with Cyril...running a 4:00 mile will always be a notable accomplishment. This is where the (much maligned) Larry Rawson "go to your local high school track" comparison can be meaningful: try to run one lap in 60 sec. (even half a lap) and then realize what it takes to do four laps at that pace!( I know, I know most tracks are 400m now--so four laps would be 1600m and short of a mile.)

Comment

Even though it is commonplace at major track events a 4-minute mile is still an impressive accomplishment.

However, a 4-minute mile alone won't really qualify for any major national or international track event.

Still the chances of any American citizen running a 4-minute mile are probably a million to one.

If I ever can run a 5-minute mile again I will be thrilled. However, I am now 230lbs and a 5-minute mile would cause quite a bit of leg and back damage. I can still run a decent 64-quarter.

I believe there would be less heart disease in this country if more American's tried training for either a 6 or 5-minute mile.
        I believe a 5-minute mile is a benchmark for any amateur athlete. When I broke a 5-minute mile in high school it also improved my conditioning and it helped me make the Varsity soccer team.

Congratulations on your 4-minute mile. Only 1300 people in human history have run that time.

Andrew

http://macnj.org

Comment

http://w1.196.telia.com/~u19603668/atb-m07.htm

This listing appears to be up to date, and lists 855 individuals who have run 3:59.9 or better in outdoor races. Are you there?

For comparison to 3:59.9, this website's 100m list goes to 10.30 and its marathon list goes to 2:13:37. I'd say both of those are still quite impressive marks, if not truly world-class.

Comment

>http://w1.196.telia.com/~u19603668/atb-m07.htm
            This site is a little out of date (it hasn't been updated in about 2 years). For a more complete and updated look at sub-4 miles check out:

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~rsparks/sub4.htm

It lists 946 sub-4 milers.

Comment

Yes, I am in the upper-middle part of that list. Being a sub 4 miler is something that I am very proud of. The death of the US Miler the other day (sorry his name is slipping my mind...no coffee yet) got me to thinking. Is that how I will be remembered? Its not like I sit around thinking about it everyday, and I do hope to run fast than I have, but I really want to know what others think about breaking the barrier. It still is amazing to me that not long ago they thought men would die if they did it. Now look at the WR and HS kids running 3:53. Thanks for all of your input.

Comment

I was surprised to find out that Leonard Hilton died of cancer. He was one of the top US milers from the early 70's

Comment

>>The death of the US Miler the other day
                  >(sorry his name is slipping my mind...no coffee
                  >yet) got me to thinking.

Charlie McMullen. His main claim to fame was that only 2 other Americans had run both a faster mile and marathon. Sub 4 sure looks good to those of us who couldn't comprehend ever getting within 30 seconds of it.

Comment

<<The death of the US Miler the other day [Charlie McMullen] got me to thinking. Is that how I will be remembered? Its not like I sit around thinking about it everyday, and I do hope to run fast than I have, but I really want to know what others think about breaking the barrier.>>

How you will be remembered will depend on whose lives you touch, how you interact with those people, and what else you do with your life. Athletic achievement at an early age is often an indicator of the potential of an individual (e.g., their dedication and ability to persevere). Consider yourself very fortunate to have the natural talent, the innate desire, and the opportunity to pursue (and achieve) goals and man-made "barriers" like a four minute mile. But don't let it define you or your life anymore than it should if you chased such a barrier and "failed."

I've always liked "Moonlight" Graham's words from "Fields of Dreams." It was along the lines of "Son, I was only a major league ballplayer for five minutes. If I had only gotten to be a doctor for five minutes, that would have been a tragedy."

Comment

>>http://w1.196.telia.com/~u19603668/atb-m07.htm
                      T
                      >is site is a little out of date (it hasn't been
                      >updated in about 2 years). For a more complete
                      >and updated look at sub-4 miles check
                      >out:

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~rsparks/sub4
                      >htm

It lists 946 sub-4 milers.

Bob Sparks passed away recently. Is someone still updating his page?

Comment

"This is a serious question. I have run a sub 4:00 mile. Sometimes it catches me off guard that am a part of history. What want to know is if the running community thinks that this is an accomplishment to be recognized. I think 250 (plus a few) Americans have done it and fewer than 1000 world wide. Obviously it used to be a big deal, but now that some high schoolers are doing it does it take the magic away? Thanks"

MilerRob: What is your full name?

Comment

does this include people that run equivilane 1600s or 1500s?

Comment

YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE VERY PROUD OF YOURSELF....ESPECIALLY SINCE I TRUST YOU DID YOUR RUNNING WITHOUT DRUGS.....SHAME ON THOSE WHO RUN FAST VIA CHEATING.

Comment

Looking at the times I don't think any US 1500 meters runners are using drugs. If anything they are taking something that is slowing them down. Maybe they drink to many soft drinks and have sugar crashes before big races.

Comment

Working...
                              X