Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no American Record for Suzy Powell

Unfortunately, Suzy Powell's 227-10 from last year cannot be ratified as an American Record.

Turns out the field at UC San Diego (at least where her plate landed) is 1.03m lower than the ring, which puts it in the "downhill" category.

Looks like the rash of big throws from that site over the last couple of years (including Gabor Máté's "collegiate record" last weekend) may all have to be invalidated if the entire facility isn't up to snuff.

Re: no American Record for Suzy Powell

Wow seems like 1.03 meters would make a big difference in the throws. Powell and Mate are still great throwers though.

Comment

She must've thought they were baseball cards!

Comment

bummer

Comment

Bummer? Sort of, but whenever you get a huge mark that defies belief (or, at least, stretches is) ask yourself, "was mum right when she said, 'if it sounds too good to be true, then....'"

Absolutely no putdown of Ms. Powell, but the mark made no sense at the time and now we know why.

If the landing area truly is more than a metre (more than a yard for you Colonials) downhill, certainly doesn't speak well for the officials who have measured throws there all these years and not said anything.

I should think it a clue that something's amiss when you're standing out in the field and you can't see anythign below the thrower's knees when you look back at the ring!

Comment

whenever my wife and I have tongue-in-cheek conversations about a "War of the Roses" confrontation, her worst threat, BY FAR..... is to throw out my 55 year collection of Track & Field News !

Comment

I don't know how much distance the downhill landing area adds to throws at UCSD, but I'd guess that it's less of an aid than the quartering winds blowing off the Pacific.

Comment

Will there be more info forthcoming about this from USATF and/or T&FN? Because if San Diego marks will get an asterix in respective (world, NCAA, national) lists, it might be interesting to know how many years this problem originated.

WK
                (interested because as a Dutch track statistician, I had a all time top-10 performance in this years edition)

Comment

I don't get the 'can't see their knees' thing. As I look up a hill on a straight slope, I very easily see feet.

Comment

>I don't know how much distance the downhill
                    >landing area adds to throws at UCSD<

I do. If Suzy's discus landed at a point where the field was 1.03m lower than the ring, and the slope from ring to landing was even, the downhill factor added less than one centimeter to her throw. In other words, it probably would have been 69.43, instead of 69.44.

Comment

> I don't get the 'can't see their knees' thing. As > I look up a hill on a straight slope, I very
                      > easily see feet.

Note that Reality Check implied he's from some part of the British Empire. Must be Australia, I figure. You know how they say water flushing down a toilet there swirls the opposite direction from the way it swirls in the northern hemisphere? Perhaps sight lines on hills work in the opposite direction there also?

Reality Check was kind enough to let us "colonials" know a metre is about a yard. Perhaps he'll share some more of his knowledge on this subject.

Comment

if that 1cm figure is true, then the IAAF rule is absolutely ridiculous, because isn't the slope we're talking about here something like 10x greater than allowed?

Comment

14.832949309 x according to my calculator.

Comment

The disc flies in an arc not a straight line. The pythagorian applies to right triangles not arcs.

Comment

Well, Pythagoras, maybe we'd better consult Newton for this one. Let's assume she threw the discus at the optimal angle to maximize the distance, this gives a distance of:
                              v/g*sqrt(v^2*2gh) where v is the velocity of the disc, g is 9.8m/s/s and h is the vertical difference between where the throw was released and where it landed. I don't know how tall Suzy is so lets just say 1.75m so adding in the slope of 1.03m, h=2.78m pluging all of that in and setting it equal to 69.44 lets us solve for v. Once we know v we can plug it back in this time using an h of 1.75 to take away the effect of the slope. When I do this I get 68.44 for a difference of 1 meter, which definitely warrents disallowing the record.

Comment

Working...
                              X