Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frankie Fredricks

No doubt the best African Sprinter of all time.
    He is also the oldest elite Sprinter too! Doesn't he has the 3rd or 2nd fastest 200m of all time? of course MJ's 19.66 in A-T-L 96' trials, and the 19.32 96 Oly. But Frankie is no push over he could have laid down and retired but his is still going strong.

Re: Frankie Fredricks

His 19.92 indoor 200 is one of the strongest world records there is.

Comment

Fredericks PR of 19.68 (3rd fastest legal time, 2nd best performer) came in his super-fast, but not fast enough performance in the 1996 Olympics. The boy can sure haul himself around the track!

Comment

I have three friends who have all met Frankie Fredericks in various circumstances....athletic shoe representative at the Atlanta Games, fellow student at BYU and international aide worker in his native Namibia....All three say the same thing about him....one of the nicest, genuine guys around..Unfortnately...we are seeing less and less of that in Track and Field these days.

Comment

"one of the nicest, genuine guys around.. Unfortnately... we are seeing less and less of that in Track and Field these days."

I most strenuously disagree. Generalization drawn from no corroborating evidence. I realize this is a track-irrelevant quote, but it bugs me when people say stuff like that.

Comment

If it bugs you, would you prefer track guys to be wife beating, drug using, "posse" toting thugs who can barely speak English? like much of the NBA, NFL and big time DI schools?

Comment

"Generalization drawn from no corroborating evidence"

What OS do YOU run on? Give it a rest.

Comment

I met him in Provo once (at BYU), and he IS the nicest guy. I guess I don't know enough other athletes to compare, but he is awesome. I saw him run a 20.21, and he was FLYING! I'm pulling for him all the way!

Comment

Frankie is so nice he makes A. Johnson look like a Mike Tyson clone. They don't make human beings much nicer.

As to whether he's different from modern sprinters, I would tell you that Greene and Drummond are also two of the nicest people I've ever met. The for-show version isn't exactly the real them.

Comment

I have to agree with you regarding Jon Drummond and Maurice Greene. Although I don't always agree with the on-track personas; off the track, they are very nice guys.

I'll never forget I had the opportunity to witness an HSI practice session a couple of years ago in Durham, North Carolina. The HSI crew went through their paces and after practice was over, I got to spend a few minutes talking with them.

All of the group (especially Mo, Jon, and Ato) were really nice. I also had the opportunity to meet Frankie and just like everyone else, I found him to be the likeable fellow that everyone else realizes.

I have found that most elite track & field athletes are very down to earth and extremely personable.

Comment

I ran in a meet last summer in germany. He came by and sat with a few of us from the US at dinner. He is a GREAT guy and an awesome athlete. We sat there for hours and he spoke about his feelings about getting 2nd to MJ after running 19.6. He was so humble and inspirational. If you ever get the opportunity, introduce yourself and chat with him. You will be impressed.
                      Mike Miller

Comment

gh,
                        Nice of you to defend JD,who disgraced his American uniform and was ousted. This business makes me sick!

Comment

>gh,
                          >Nice of you to defend JD,who disgraced his
                          >American uniform and was ousted. This business
                          >makes me sick!

Actually he was charged with a false start. Then he withdrew. He was never ousted. Without commenting on everything that happened in the middle, gh wasn't "defending" him with his post. He just said he was a nice guy. He defended him here:

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/di ... sage=14442

Take it up there.

Comment

i beleive Frankie will get a medal in the 200m

Comment

Working...
                            X