Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qatar, steeplechasing powerhouse

Browsing through my latest Track E-Newsletter, I noticed that Cherono's 8:02.48 was a national record, which struck me as odd until I remembered that he is now listed as (Qat) instead of (Ken). That made me wonder, what was Qatar's previous national record? And assuming it was something like 10:00 (my apologies to the Qataris if I'm wrong), is this the biggest percentage improvement ever in a national record?
    "Run fast and keep turning left."

Re: Qatar, steeplechasing powerhouse

THE SCARY THING IS THAT SCIENTISTS BELIEVE THERE ARE NOW DRUGS AVAILABLE THAT ARE MUCH MORE POTENT THAN EPO.....8:02s ARE THE STUFF OF DRUGS OR IMMAGINATION.

Comment

What the hell does EPO this have to do with the original question? Go hide your sorry ass back under the rock you crawled out from this morning!

>THE SCARY THING IS THAT SCIENTISTS BELIEVE THERE
      >ARE NOW DRUGS AVAILABLE THAT ARE MUCH MORE POTENT
      >THAN EPO.....8:02s ARE THE STUFF OF DRUGS OR
      >IMMAGINATION.

Comment

Paulie,

You somehow slithered onto our Board while I was on vacation for a few days, and on return all I'm seeing is vapid drug-related blabber. Please cease and desist. This site doesn't accept that kind of juvenile bullshit.

gh

(garry hill/editor t&fn)

Comment

Now see, that's exactly what's wrong with Garry Hill - he's too wishy-washy - doesn't say what's on his mind - beats around the bush - if he has a problem with PAULIE, he should just come out and express his dissatisfaction, instead of hiding behind euphemisms and PC tepidness.

Comment

>Now see, that's exactly what's wrong with Garry
            >Hill - he's too wishy-washy - doesn't say what's
            >on his mind - beats around the bush - if he has a
            >problem with PAULIE, he should just come out and
            >express his dissatisfaction, instead of hiding
            >behind euphemisms and PC tepidness.

exactly!....garry hill has done tremendous damage to america's track and field programs.....

rather than deny the allegations vs. his druggie heroes, he chooses to not discuss the subject. thank god garry hill doesn't cover cycling. with his influence perhaps we would never have heard of lance armstrong as the druggies there would have made it impossible for lance to compete on even terms....

Comment

Well, that wasn't very hard to twist my sarcastic remarks into a plug for you. gh (who can speak for himself!) is willing to talk about drug FACTS, not drug suspicions, conjecture and speculation. We have more than enough problems in our sport, without having to make up sh*t! (sorry, can't do it) My point in the previous post is that T&FN has NEVER been afraid to speak its mind about our problems.
              "The sky is falling" is not a logical point at which to start an intelligent discussion.

Comment

It's my humble opinion that most guys who whine constantly about the "overwhelming" drug problem in T&F are usually fat ass wannabes looking for an excuse as to why they get smoked by men and god forbid women (i.e notice the writer references Paul R. constantly). They never offer proof - just their suspicions - a poor excuse for an excuse. Those who can, do - those who can't blame their dilemma on drugged up #100 marathoners.

Comment

On the original question, the previous Qatari national record was 8:14.38 by Khamis Seif Abdullah in 2001.

Comment

10 min. steeple? Qatar's distance running wasn't too bad before. Mohamed Suleiman won the bronze in the 92 olympics. I think he was a 3:32.xx for 1500m. His youngest brother is supposed to be very talented.

Comment

>Well, that wasn't very hard to twist my sarcastic
                      >remarks into a plug for you. gh (who can speak
                      >for himself!) is willing to talk about drug
                      >FACTS, not drug suspicions, conjecture and
                      >speculation. We have more than enough problems in
                      >our sport, without having to make up sh*t!

GH rarely writes about drugs at all. The entire mag buries its head in the sand.

Comment

Can you say suit, as in the libel? T&FN would be tip-toeing through a mine-field if they published everything they hear about the subject (I shudder to imagine what they DO hear). On the other hand virtually every single issue (sadly) has a drug sanction report. Do you really expect them to do investigative reporting on the subject? They would last about a year tops as a viable financial entity if they went into the tabloid business.

Comment

>Can you say suit, as in the libel? T&FN would be
                          >tip-toeing through a mine-field if they published
                          >everything they hear about the subject (I shudder
                          >to imagine what they DO hear). On the other hand
                          >virtually every single issue (sadly) has a drug
                          >sanction report. Do you really expect them to do
                          >investigative reporting on the subject? They
                          >would last about a year tops as a viable
                          >financial entity if they went into the tabloid
                          >business.

Read between the lines, and you'll see that T&FN's attitude is much the same as the IAAF, etc.; We Wish Drug Testing Would Just Go Away! Heck, USA Today had more column inches on Marion, Tim & Charlie than the "Bible of the Sport"!

Comment

Larry Rawson has the balls to say something! See "Bell Lap" on today's Runner's World Daily News.

Comment

Every sprint world record is a joke and should be thrown out the window.

Until they start doing blood testing, they will never be able to detect human growth hormone, which sprinters now use instead of steroids.

I don't know whether the distance runners are clean or not.

A previous poster wrote something to the effect of "people who complain about drugs are just whining because they can't run as fast as the people they are accusing."

I don't really care if I can run as fast as the people I am accusing; that has absolutely nothing to do with it. I love the sport of track and field, so it pains me to make these accusations; but I believe there are alot of cheaters out there.

The IAAF needs to make a concerted effort to fix this problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X