El G has a fellow countryman in the 5k....could he be the ra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• El G has a fellow countryman in the 5k....could he be the ra

I find it interesting that Salah Hissou and El G are both entered in the 5k. They are both Moroccons obviously. Could Salah Hissou end up being a rabbit for El G? Wouldn't be surprised at all if it sets up that way. Also very interesting to see how, if at all, the Kenyans react to such a Moroccon tactic (if
    it happens).

Re: El G has a fellow countryman in the 5k....could he be th

I'm sure they have contingency plans for it. So do the Ethiopians. They don't get to the top without thinking things through very carefully.

On the other hand, Hissou is (or was) a very good runner himself. It's no certainty that he'll sacrifice his own chances to help out someone else.

Comment

>I find it interesting that Salah Hissou and El G
      >are both entered in the 5k. They are both
      >Moroccons obviously. Could Salah Hissou end up
      >being a rabbit for El G? Wouldn't be surprised at
      >all if it sets up that way. Also very interesting
      >to see how, if at all, the Kenyans react to such
      >a Moroccon tactic (if
      it happens).

Could be very interesting. I would love to see it. I'm sure they already have the Kenyans and Ethiopians thinking.

I hope we see El G at the line. It would be unbeleiveable team tactics. Kenyans, Bekele/Geb, Hissou/El G WOW. It probably won't happen but what a race it would be!

Comment

More interesting to me is whether someone will rabbit for El G in the 1500 (in collusion or not). Coe in a recent commentary believes El G is vulnerable if someone doesn't take the pace out for him (or if the tactic is foiled, as in Sydney 2000).

Comment

>More interesting to me is whether someone will
          >rabbit for El G in the 1500 (in collusion or
          >not). Coe in a recent commentary believes El G
          >is vulnerable if someone doesn't take the pace
          >out for him (or if the tactic is foiled, as in
          >Sydney 2000).

Wow, what an insight from Coe. Of course he's vulnerable. Everyone knows that. The trick is to stay within two strides of him going into that last 100 after he blazes the previous 400.

Comment

You make it sound like it's easy to start kicking 500 meters out, off a 1:51 800 . . . Lagat's been trying and failing to follow El G in doing that for quite a while --

Comment

>You make it sound like it's easy to start kicking
              >500 meters out, off a 1:51 800 . . . Lagat's been
              >trying and failing to follow El G in doing that
              >for quite a while --

You misunderstood. I think it will be very difficult. El G. is the man to beat. The Kenyans know that but El G is just so strong its going to take a phenomenal effort to stay with him in the last 5. I don't think anyone can match his final long drive off a solid first 800. The only chance the Kenyans may have is if the pace is very slow for the first 800. The El G. may have to push it from further out which will be a more difficult task.

Comment

10-4, with his abilities, El G is not very vulnerable, but if he's going to be beaten, it will be by someone capable of going with him (which if memory serves is what happened in Sydney, he never got away).

Comment

I think he prefers a fast paced race because of the incident in the 1996 olympics where he fell, not because he isn't able to sit and kick.

I have a feeling someone else (non-moroccon) is going to take up pace making duties in the 5k only because they're probably all scared of El G's mile speed. Look for someone similar to Sammy Kipketer(who took out the 2001 WC 5k in 4:04 pace!) to take it out hard in hopes of drawing out the kicks from El G/Chebii. Just my prediction, who knows what will really happen.

Comment

How much harder can anyone go than what El G normally does? I think he's strongest off the fastest pace; no one can maintain that 1:50 half pace as long as El G can. But though he has great speed, others do, too, and might kick past him off a slower pace.

Comment

I heard that there was some communication failure between El G & Yousef Baba in the Sydney finals. Apparently, he went too fast in the first 400 (like 54) and then Baba slowed down to 60s for the second 400.

Comment

Here is some info on Hissou:

"Salah Hissou first came to international notice in 1991, when he won the 5000m at the Moroccan national championships. His best time that year, 13min 37.40sec, was the fourth fastest 5000m recorded by a junior in 1991. He had two relatively lean years in 1992 and 1993, but 1994 saw an incredible improvement in his performances, when he lowered his 5000m personal best to 13min 04.93sec, and his 10000m personal best to 27min 21.75sec. In the 10000m final at the 1995 World Championships in Gothenburg on 8 August, Hissou led at the bell, but was outsprinted in the final lap and finished a disappointing fourth. On 25 August, in Brussels, he clocked 27min 09.30sec for 10000m, breaking the Moroccan national record in the process. In 1996, he broke 13 minutes for 5000m on three occasions, and his fastest time of 12min 50.80sec, set at Rome on 5 June, was the second fastest 5000m ever run. Despite these credentials, Hissou elected to only contest the 10000m at the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta on 29 July, where he won the bronze medal (see photo above) behind Ethiopian Haile Gebrselassie and Kenyan Paul Tergat in a time of 27min 24.67sec. However, Salah ran a very different 10000m race in Brussels less than four weeks later on 23 August. After following pacemakers for the first 7000m, Hissou ran away from the field, winning easily in a time of 26min 38.08sec, and breaking Gebrselassie's world record by over 5 seconds. However, this world record didn't make Hissou any short priced favourite for the 10000m at the 1997 World Championships in Athens, as Gebrselassie regained the world record in July 1997. At Athens, on August 6, Hissou again finished third behind Gebrselassie and Tergat, duplicating their finishing order in the previous yearís Olympic final." (Ron Casey)

El G has a powerful ally.

Comment

el g has a powerful ally?
                          with times of 12.50 and 26.38 he may not be el g's ally he may be his and everyone else in the 5k's competitor.

Comment

I agree

Comment

There is no doubt that El G is a good runner, but he only way he can be great in my mind (I'm only speaking for myself) is if he does need rabbits to run fast times. That goes for all runners. It kinda takes away from the actual race part of the race. El G needs to go out there and just push the pace himself, well i dunno if he could do it the same as with a rabbit, but beating the other guy is what track is all about, not chasing a rabbit in order to beat a time (and in the process beating the other guy). Maybe it was a mistake for him to rely on this tactic all the time, because it sure hurt him in the olympics.

Comment

Working...
                              X