• Show
Clear All

Re: El G has a fellow countryman in the 5k....could he be th

>10-4, with his abilities, El G is not very
    >vulnerable, but if he's going to be beaten, it
    >will be by someone capable of going with him
    >(which if memory serves is what happened in
    >Sydney, he never got away).

Right. He didn't get that fast first half, so the Kenyans were able to hang with him. That race also showed how much Europe has slid as a force, as even with a slow first half, the Europeans dropped completely off the radar in that race. Can you imagine Coe or Cram or even Ryun dropping off after that slow first half?

Comment

El G won't need any help in losing to the great Bekele.

Comment

Hissou is a shadow of his previous self, and lacks a finishing kick. He could help pace El G, since he lacks experience at this distance. El G is the man in the field who will benefit most from a slow pace. After that 10k, it is hard to envision the 5k pace going slow! If it is cool, and Geb and Bekele run it may go 12:40?

Comment

I really hope geb joins the 5km feild.
          It would just make it the greatest 5km for centuries.
          He and Bekele have already done a sub 13.00 5km this week.
          Will they want to do another.

Comment

As a previous poster noted, Hissou is a shadow of his former self. He failed to make the 5k final. So whatever potential there was for him to rabbit is gone.

I'm sure the pace will be fast in any event. Problem for El G: it won't be steadily fast throughout, but with numerous surges thrown in. Can El G hang on in such a race?

Comment

This has the makings of a great race. El G, Bekele, Chebii, Kipchoge, Kibowen, Limo, even 18 yo Gebremariam Gebre-egziabher can go under 13 minutes. I think it will be won in 12:50 or so, regardless of the fact that it will be tactical.
              why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

>This has the makings of a great race. El G,
                >Bekele, Chebii, Kipchoge, Kibowen, Limo, even 18
                >yo Gebremariam Gebre-egziabher can go under 13
                >minutes. I think it will be won in 12:50 or so,
                >regardless of the fact that it will be tactical.

I agree. It should be fast but also tactical. Has the makings of a classic. The pace must be fast enough (under 13) to take the last 800 sting out of El G.

I would expect El. G. to try to make a move in the final 500-800 as is his typical 1500 strategy. The question is - will he have enough left to go?

If El G. can pull it off it will definately be one of the best, if not the best, doubles in history. He does have a shot though I wouldn't bet big on him as he is still relatively inexperienced at the distance.

Comment

>El G needs to go out there and just
                  >push the pace himself, well i dunno if he could
                  >do it the same as with a rabbit, but beating the
                  >other guy is what track is all about, not
                  >chasing a rabbit in order to beat a time (and in
                  >the process beating the other guy). Maybe it
                  >was a mistake for him to rely on this tactic all
                  >the time, because it sure hurt him in the
                  >olympics.

El G did not lose Sydney because of tactics. El G lost because of overracing. We all have to remember, Wheaties doesn't do the Golden League circuit! El G learned that the hard way.

Peace.

Comment

Look for a 3:59 mile in this one. The Kenyans are developing their box-and-one scheme as I write this. I don't think that El G will be dumb enough to let the Kenyans and Ethiopians to dictate the pace. Peace.

Comment

El G did not lose Sydney
                      >because of tactics. El G lost because of
                      >overracing. We all have to remember, Wheaties
                      >doesn't do the Golden League circuit! El G
                      >learned that the hard way.

The important thing is that El G.learned from his mistake. You don't see him make the same mistakes over and again. He is very smart and very prepared. He is a true professional - eat, sleeps and breaths the sport.

El G. knows the Kenyans will screw with him and he will prepare himself psychologically to deal with the games. I'm sure Bekele would welcome a fast pace and knows how to run from the front as well as kick off of being forced to set the early tempo. He may try to take control early if the pace lags in the first 1k.

You can be sure that El G has a game plan of his own and has thought about the possible tactics of his competitors. It should be professional running from all parties at its best!

BTW- For the nay sayers that thought EL G. would not attempt the double. He's got more balls than you gave him credit for.

Comment

Prior to these WC, I would have favored El G in this race: depending on the pace, takes the lead with 800-1200 to go, throws in a 55, breaks the field, and takes it in.

But after the 10k, I don't think that will break Bekele. Given his strength and speed, Bekele could outkick El G over the last 100m as well as hang with anything he can give over the last 800. So if you are El G, what do you do? Possibly, pull a John Ngugi and throw that 55 in much earlier, when others don't think you can possibly hang on.

Interestingly enough, some of the Kenyans may be thinking the same way. I can't imagine they would plan to cooperate, but could it be that the Kenyans and El G might independently decide on a similar strategy and end up working together?

This will be a real classic.

Comment

It sure seems that the 5000 COULD be the race of the year. El G can't plan to outkick Bekele in the last 600 or last 200 of a slow race. So he needs to keep the pace honest. Bekele, on the other hand, can probably run the whole way at 12:40 pace... This COULD be really fabulous.

Comment

>el g has a powerful ally?
                            with times of 12.50
                            >and 26.38 he may not be el g's ally he may be his
                            >and everyone else in the 5k's competitor.

without epo those times convert to 13:15 and 27:29. without epo he's human and beatable by americans like salazar.

Comment

I may be wrong, but I just don't think Alberto's in shape right now....

Comment

without epo those times convert to
                                >13:15 and 27:29. without epo he's human and
                                >beatable by americans like salazar.

What formula are you using to determine these 'converted' times and how would YOU know what it is?

You're rather a one-trick pony, aren't ya?

Comment

Working...
                                X