• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kritter
    replied
    Re: Masters Middle Distance Phenom?!

Curious,
    Eamonn was training full time while in Gainesville. Had Gerard Hartman working on him. Excellent fall buildup 80-90mi/wk. Track work was lots of 400's, gradually working pace down to 58's. Nothing super fast, like 25-200's. After seeing the 1:54 I didn't think he would be able to break 4! (at least indoors)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

It seems that even at 40 an athlete today is still capable of some impressive feats. However after 40 the body starts to really slow down. I guess 40 is the last time in your life you can revisit you youth and post some impressive times

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Bruce, do you know what Eamonn was running for workouts leading up to his 3:58 mile indoor? I am shocked, that he "only" did a 1:54 half two weeks prior! I know he ran a couple of mile races leading up to it to hone in on the pace. For some reason, I can relate more with the older guys working out than the young elites. Not that their workouts are any easier, just how they approach training with all of the "life" issues happening around them (ie,...kids, work, age!)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Eamonn Coughlin only ran 1:54 indoors in Gainesville two weeks before his sub 4.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Did some digging and found out that T. Young ran a 4:08 Indoor, 4:07.25 Outdoor, and a 4:05 Road Mile this year. His 3:46.41 1500 suggests a 4:02-03 effort is right there. With his 800 speed of 1:52 this year, that is about where he should be. He will have to get in the High 1:50's to 1:51 range and then have 8:15 3k strength to get under 4:00. Damn close though. Could be a neat story if he qualifies for the Oly Trials at 42 years of age, huh?

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied

>I think the US meets this past spring (Pre
    >especially) missed a golden opportunity to invite
    >Tony to race the mile. Why invite 2 H.S. kids
    >and not invite Tony? A marketing fumble by our
    >governing body not to work to get Tony a visible
    >opportunity to break 4 minutes as a master. I
    >can only hope Masback and Co. were all over this
    >and Tony declined, otherwise a fumble at the top.
    >

USATF must not have thought it was much of a marketing opportunity. Tony races for Club Northwest, which Bill Roe is a key part of, so if I am sure USATF wanted to showcase him they could.

Tony gets plenty of opportunities to race. He runs at all the big local meets at UW and the Seattle International. He runs at lots of the all-comers meets in the summer as well.

I would imagine there is more interest in the general public in seeing a high schooler break the 4-minute mile than a 40-year-old.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Wouldn't the 100 year old mark be basically a walk. The 95 year old was probably jogging at about 4.5 mph when he set his record.
    How much slower will a 95 year old be compared to a 100 year old.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I think the US meets this past spring (Pre especially) missed a golden opportunity to invite Tony to race the mile. Why invite 2 H.S. kids and not invite Tony? A marketing fumble by our governing body not to work to get Tony a visible opportunity to break 4 minutes as a master. I can only hope Masback and Co. were all over this and Tony declined, otherwise a fumble at the top.

Leave a comment:

• RussJD
    replied

I'll bet the guy who set the 100 meter record for 100 year olds at the Penn Relays could come up with a pretty good mile. After all, the mile pace would seem slow to him.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

i think alan webb will get it, so his legacy will show he once had the high school record, and stayed with running long enough to get the record for centurians, showing perseverance pays off.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

"I like to see the 100 year old mark."

Never been done... Every 100 year old who has attempted to run the mile is either still trying to finish or died of a heart attack on the gun lap

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

><<Yeah? Wait'll they start removing the
    >heads/brains of the elderly and placing them into
    >robot bodies!>>

Been there done that.....

Really? Are you on FUTURAMA? : )

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

<<Yeah? Wait'll they start removing the heads/brains of the elderly and placing them into robot bodies!>>

Been there done that.....

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Hate to
    >break it to you Andy, but nobody is going to run
    >a 5 minute mile at 80.

Yeah? Wait'll they start removing the heads/brains of the elderly and placing them into robot bodies!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

ONE MILE
    Here are some US masters marks for the mile run.

DIV. MARK NAME(RESIDENCE) AGE MEET DATE
    M35 3:54.13 Steve Scott(CA) 35 7- 1-91
    M40 4:09.61 Tony Young(WA) 40 6- 8-02
    M45 4:18.83 Ken Sparks(OH) 45 4-24-90
    M50 4:27.9 Nolan Shaheed(CA)50 2-12-00
    M55 4:45.6 Vic Heckler(IL) 55 8-17-97
    M60 4:58.2 Jim Sutton(PA) 60 8-17-91
    M65 5:22 M.Montgomery(CA) 65 4- 8-72
    M70 5:42.2 M.Montgomery(CA) 70 7- 9-77
    M75 5:57.2 Scotty Carter(MA)75 7-12-92
    M80 7:51.9 H.Sypniewski(NY) 81 6-15-00
    M85 12:23.6 Herb Kirk(MT) 87 8-26-83
    M90 13:43.6 Herb Kirk(MT) 90 8-18-86
    M95 14:48.2 Herb Kirk(MT)
    M100+ ? ? No-one is crazy enough yet.

The guy that ran the record at 95 should be given a award just for finishing. After 60 the times drop off dramatically. At this stage the body is basically breaking down. At 60 Jim Sutton would just make a high school varsity mile team.

I like to see the 100 year old mark.

Hate to break it to you Andy, but nobody is going to run a 5 minute mile at 80.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X