Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He's back (Gabe)

I missed it if anyone had pointed out that Gabe Jennings was officially training in Mammoth Lakes with Team Running USA, before the home-page post.

Speaking of Mammoth -- how late in the year does it remain free of snow? Where to stay if one ventures up that way?

Re: He's back (Gabe)

Gabe is talented, but there is a new generation of US milers that are setting a new standard. The US now has 6 1500 meter runners with the A standard and 2 in the IAAF top ten. Lets talk more about the new talent like Lukezic and Myers. They are already faster than Gabe ever was. As for Lagat and Webb they are at a whole other level. We have been waiting for this kind of 1500 meter talent in the US for two decades now.

Lagat = Maree
    Webb = Scott

...Think about it.

Comment

>Lagat = Maree
      Webb = Scott<

Gabe = Byers?

Comment

NO...

Myers(3:53) = Byers(3:50)

Take 3 second off Myers and you are there. Wow, their names even rhyme. Could this be significant.

Lukezic = Harbour

Comment

Lukezic =
          >Harbour

Harbour? You mean he's not the next Mark Deady?

I'm sure Lukezic is very flattered by your comparison, 15mph.

Harbour was a flash-in-the-pan, but at least he got in the pan, and at least he flashed.

As long as you're interested in the great milers who were in their prime long before you were born, 15mph, maybe read up on a guy named Spivey.

Comment

Gabe = Byers?
            Myers = Byers

I think he was alluding to the mystic of Gabe and Byers, not their respective pr's!

Comment

Yes, I was indeed referring to their personalities, not their PR's. They were not by any means identical, but both were colorful non-conformists, in their own ways.

Comment

Re: US 1500 power again?

Aren't people happy that this almost decade-long nightmare for US 1500 meter running is coming to an end? If only Myers and Lukezic can get down to at least 3:50 for the mile the US will also have depth to back up both Webb and Lagat. It is hard to believe but along with Kenya and Spain the US is again among the world’s top 1500-meter powers.
                Yes, we have to count Lagat as an official US competitor now. This means for the first time in over 15 years the US has two active sub 3:50 milers.

I like to forget about US 1500 meter running just before Lagat and Webb entered the scene. You remember those days when 3:45 won the US championships.

I think Gabe will probably dip just under 3:40 next year. It may not be fastest enough to compete with the new generation of US 1500 meter runners. Even NCAA runners like Rankin have now run 3:35.

Comment

I like to forget about US 1500 meter running just
                  >before Lagat and Webb entered the scene. You remember those days when 3:45 won
                  >the US championships.

Jeff Atkinson?

Comment

>Yes, I was indeed referring to their personalities, not their PR's. They were
                    >not by any means identical, but both were colorful non-conformists, in their
                    >own ways.

Could you cite any examples to support your contention that Byers was 'colorful' and 'non-conforming?'

Comment

Byers was both.

Comment

Byers provided maybe most comic moment in middle distance running. For me, it was the race in Oslo in 1981. Byers was the designated rabbit but they let him too far ahead (must have been about 8 seconds at the bell). He was up to his eyeballs in lactic acid at 1200 but, all credit to him, he struggled round to win by a few yards ahead of a desperate posse of the world´s elite milers.

Comment

Jeff Atkinson?
                          >>>

He lives near me; he advertises his personal trainer business in our free local paper. The ad says he's the former American record holder. What record did he hold?

Comment

I don't think Byers can be compared to Gabe. From what I recall Byers was a bit of a partier and had that rocker look but he wasn't "out there" like Jennings. Of course, when he stole the race from Ovett it was very cool but not whacky - just ballsy.

Jennings truely marches to a different drummer. If it wasn't for his stupid comments re. kicking El G's ass I kind of like the guy. But, there is a line between eccentric and totally out of touch with reality. Gabe crossed the line with that comment.

But, it would be fun to see he reemerge. The talent is there, he isn't too old and he is in the right environment. He won't get down there in the low 3:30s but 3:36-3:37 could happen.

Comment

>Jeff Atkinson. . . . The ad says he's the former American record holder. What record did he hold?<

As I recall, he held the indoor 1500m record. A faster performance by Steve Scott was never ratified because there were not enough official timers at the 1500m mark (it was an intermediate time in a mile race).

Comment

Working...
                              X