Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Women's 4x100 - US!

You cant forget that Gail Devers also split 9.86 on anchor and in 2000 in one of the preliminary meets to the Olympics I'm not sure where but they ran a relay with Gail on 2nd leg and she 9.93 split.

Comment

>You cant forget that Gail Devers also split 9.86 on anchor and in 2000 in one
      >of the preliminary meets to the Olympics I'm not sure where but they ran a
      >relay with Gail on 2nd leg and she 9.93 split.

In 2000, she ran 12.33 in the hurdles - a PB, along with a respectable 10.99 in the 100m. She was obviously in great form. This season will mark 4 years since Sydney - a long time at Gail's age. Although she's still quick, she's roughly 0.10 - 0.15 slower than she was in 2000 and so a sub-10 relay split could be a bit optimistic (although not entirely out of the question, given her relay experience).

Comment

Hey lighten up on my name you are acting like "Maurice the Cat". Just promise me that you and Mr Lewis will come back on here in August and eat crow. I am telling you now, and no i am not a Marion hater, the US will not win the 4x100, also let's see MJ win the US Champs. I wont even go into the sprints, just watch things unfold this season and you may change your tune(no pun) prior to August.
        Speaking of "hater" why does someone have to wear the label of hater if they oppose a popular idea?

Comment

>You cant forget that Gail Devers also split 9.86 on anchor and in 2000 in one
          >of the preliminary meets to the Olympics I'm not sure where but they ran a
          >relay with Gail on 2nd leg and she 9.93 split.

Personally if I was coaching I'd never have put Devers against Privalova on an anchor split, simply because the running start plays more into Privalova's superior 200 ability and plays against the strength of Devers' start. THE most disappointing moment at any track meet I have ever attended was watching Evelyn Ashford given the thankless and ignominious task of leading off the Americas 4x100 Montreal '79. On that day, she was the hottest 100/200 doubler ever and the only one with both sub-11 and sub-22 PRs, her start was her weakest point, and what did they do? Sent her into the blocks (as raring-to-go as possible under the circumstances) having crashed her adrenaline and taken away any chance to give herself and the crowd the kind of sub-10 anchor leg which would have been a fitting end to the meet.

Comment

"Hey lighten up on my name you are acting like "Maurice the Cat". Just promise me that you and Mr Lewis will come back on here in August and eat crow."

Tofu crow if either of us are vegetarian (not me) and also, someone has at times signed in as "Lewis Michael" or "Micheal Lewis" ; while you aren't quite as shameless in your manipulation of Rusty's handle, you might want to be a bit more original and avoid the possible appearance of not respecting him.

Comment

Sprity Jaguar, it is SO easy of you to challenge Rustyjaguar and Michael Lewis to a crow-eating contest. They've been regular on this board under the same name, so we all know who they are. Who are you? I've not seen a Sprity Jaguar name on this board before. Are you going to keep posting under it are you just going to hide, creting different names all the time? To add my 2 cents to this discussion of 4X100, once upon a time a French team shows up (men or women), once upon a time a British or Canadian men team shows up, or Jamaican, Bahamian German or Russian team shows up. The US team has been there consistently among the favorites all the time in excess of a 100 years.
              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Pego, Appreciate the comment. No disrespect to Sprity, but Michael and I have been on this board awhile. I don't like to argue on the net, I just want to talk track. The sports important to all of us on this board. We can disagree ,but we don't need to break each other down. I'm a coach and I'm seeing sports like Soccer and others taling some of our athletes and it makes me mad. We already don't get any respect from anyone except us hardcore fans. So lets enjoy the sport and we can debate it, but lets stop the namecalling.

Comment

Rusty so you want to talk track then why in hell are you challenging my name. Is Guitar actually your surname? Is it, your chat room name, patented? Even if it is, a keen eye instead of your addiction to querry my name, would tell you and your lackeys that my name was simply a cheerful derivate from yours. Again i say to you that you are acting most childish regarding this issue of name, a misfortune your tenure on this board, as well as that of Pego and Lewis has done nothing to dispel.

Comment

So, I am a lackey, eh? At least I ALWAYS post under the same name. If you want my real name, I'll give it to you. Will you do the same?
                    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Look here Sprity , I want to talk track and you are still being negative. Look you are the one who is acting childish. I respect your opinion, but you are still hung up on this screen name crap. About being a positive derivitive of my name,I am not a negative poster so don't go saying all that crap.Look here Michael,Pego, Wayne,tn,Bijan and tafnut have talked several times about relays, sprints, track in general. These guys are cool and they know what they are talking about. While I might not agree with stuff they say sometimes, I respect their opinions and we don't call each other names.They are not Lackeys so don't accuse them of that.If you don't like someone's opinion respond respectfully or don't respond at all. Also use the same name everytime.The posters here would rather everyone use the same screen names.

Comment

Comment

I don't mean to be the spoilsport here, but by their own admission, wouldn't all the EG women be suspended?

Comment

Comment

I agree with you Rob. the Americans have always had very bad hand offs simply because they do not get together in time for practices and it is the attitude they have that they can field 4 of the fastest sprinters in the World so why bother, an attitude that has caused them the gold medal on many occassions both men and women. Canada's mens team beat them with only 2 sprinters equal to theirs ,Bruny and Donavon
                              I agree with you that no US squad could beat Marita, Marlies, Barbel Or Krabb even if they had Evelyn, Florence, Devers and Torrence, they usually have trouble with the hand offs and this is entirely due to not enough practic with the exchanges. certainly they more than have the speed. Another reason why the US team had trouble with the DDR was the squad changed more frequently, and it is simply because they have so much depth in the sprints where as in many other countries it is the same 4 women for a good number of years. For all the years I competed I always saw Marlies, Marita and Ingrid and of course Gladish later on . In regards to Athens the French team is not likely to change and the US squad by speed alone should win, but if the hand offs are not smoothe from first exchange to third Marion will never catch Arron. I really think they should right after the trials start practicing because with awesome hand offs they can come close to or break the world record, with such depth it defies logic that they should loose the Gold medal.
                              cheers

Comment

>Seems to be a bit of a drift from the main topic here, guys!

The US squad
                                >has potential, but whether they will break the GDR World Record remains to be
                                >seen. I say not.

How about an "all-time" USA 4x100m squad up against an
                                >all-time GDR squad? Team composition? Winner? Time?

I will select a GDR
                                >team comprising the following sprinters in their corresponding running
                                >order:

Marita Koch - Katrin Krabbe - Bärbel Wöckel - Marlies Göhr

and I
                                >suggest they would win in a time of 40.95.

Ok, the gauntlet is down to the
                                >Americans and their supporters...

This one is easy .. US team goes:

Gwen Torrence to Marion Jones to FloJo to Evelyn Ashford ..

US wins in 40.75 !!! Gwen edges Marita .. Marion blows by Katrin .. FloJo opens more on Barbel ... And Gohr couldn/t hold Evelyn off when ahead so has no chance in hell of running her down from behind ...

Comment

Working...
                                X