Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mr. hammy goes to Eugene . . .

. . . to check on hotels and (dramatic music) ‘The Track’.

OK, the bad: Expect significant sticker shock on the hotels. At Sacramento for the OT and the NCAAs I was able to get a suite with a full kitchen, a separate bedroom and a living room, about a 20 minute walk from the track, for $101. A room with the same specs in Eugene will be between $250-300. No one is quoting prices or taking reservations yet, but the $250 is what they charge on OU football days at one place, and the rumor mentioned more than once for two other places was $300. Recognize that these are very nice large suites, and within walking distance (less than 2 miles). That’s what we get for trying to wedge 20,000 folks into a place the size of Eugene. Obviously, the further you want to drive, the cheaper it is. I just spent four nights in a very nice suites hotel in Salem (an hour away) for $65/night.

Also, the Eugene Convention Bureau has blocked booked a bunch of these rooms already. I am assuming they are doing this to make sure that athletes, staff, media, etc. have places to stay. TJ may have some info on this. One place said that all of their rooms were booked this way, others said a portion of theirs.

Almost all of the places I checked said that their reservation system would not handle reservations more than either 11 months or one year in advance, so it may be a while before we see how bad things are. Based on today’s inspection, bad hammy definitely has a couple of favorites, but can’t let that info slip until a reservation is made; don’t need any more competition that is already going to be there.

Oh, and not all suites are created equal. The one place that said that all of their rooms were block booked said “We have just 24 rooms and they are all suites.” Then she let me in one. It was basically a motel room with a refrigerator in – I kid you not - the bathroom. No microwave, no coffee maker, definitely no cooktop or dishwasher. Without naming names, that would be the Express Inn at 990 W. 6th Ave. (not to be confused with any Holiday Express Inn or HoJo Express Inn)

Edit: two of the folks I talked to actually laughed when I asked about discounts (AAA, AARP, etc.). All said don't bet on it.

The good: The Track. Confession here: I’ve have only been to Eugene once before, for a Pre meet sometime in the 80’s. I was way less than impressed. Back then I had very little dollars and less sense. I woke up early the morning of the meet, drove from Oakland to Eugene (about eight hours), watched the meet for about whatever it was, 2-3 hours, and then drove partway back before staying in some roadside dive.

Let’s just say that the mental and emotional buildup of ‘Eugene’, ‘Hayward Field’, ‘The Pre Meet’, ‘The Crowd’ was huge. A letdown was just about inevitable. Considering the meets I’ve attended around her, the Pre meet was average. Hayward Field was in decline and not that impressive. Yeah, the crowd was knowledgeable, but so are the crowds around here. There is not one single thing about that day that stands out, except that I left thing to myself ‘That’s it?? That’s as good as it gets??? This is the last time I’m waisting time on this meet.’ And I’ve never been back.

Fast forward a couple of decades. After spending part of the 2000 OT, part of the 2003 NCAA, all of the 2004 OT and all of the 2005 NCAA in Sacramento, I definitely knew one thing: there has to be a better place. When I walked up to the (I think it is new) main entrance to Hayward Field today, I knew I was not in Kansas anymore. I am confident that anyone who visits Hayward Field right now would say that it has never looked better (from a guy who has only seen it once). It is obvious that they went all out to make it look great for the recent tour by the OT selection committee. If the finances were even close, Sacramento had no chance.

Walking around the track, looking at how great everything looked, thinking about spending over a week in this little cathedral of track and field, instead of that characterless hell pit in Sacramento, let me know that the 2008 OT will probably be the track meet of a lifetime (for those of us who have not been to the Olys or WCs). Be there or regret it . . .

If you were at Pre in the '80s you need to go back. It is a much different , better meet now. I've been to every Pre and have seen it progress over the years. It is awesome now, ask anyone who has been there recently.

Comment

Originally posted by trig
      If you were at Pre in the '80s you need to go back. It is a much different , better meet now. I've been to every Pre and have seen it progress over the years. It is awesome now, ask anyone who has been there recently.
      Well, that 18 hour round trip drive plus the overnight stay for a three hour meet are definitely factors. The Bay Area plus Sacramento get their fair share of big time T&F.

It’s a good thing the OT is a ten-day event rather than a more reasonable 4-day. It works out to 1.8 hours of driving per day instead of 4.5.

Comment

Those hotel prices you quote hammy do give one pause to reconsider the hell or high water won't keep me away stance. :shock:

But maybe this is just a ploy to keep the rest of us from booking the cheap rooms you have found. :twisted:

I am going to look into B&Bs too. Maybe they won't know the Trials are on..... :wink:

An athlete we coach is at U of O right now but she will have graduated by then. :cry:

Comment

"that characterless hell pit in Sacramento..."

Ah, hammy, you have a way with words!

Assuming I go in '08, I pretty much expect that I'll be in a hotel 10 or 20 (or more?) miles away. Will there be parking anywhere near the stadium?

Comment

If go to the Trials, I am going to hook up with a TFN tour; and I hope I get to meet tou guys (and gals); I love college towns, and 8 days in Eugene will be fine with me.

Comment

I'm thinking/hoping that the outrageous prices Hammy was suggesting belong more in the rumor category than fact. But note that the OT goes head-to-head with the annual Oregon Bach Festival, which is a huugge affair. So rooms will indeed be at a premium.

http://www.registerguard.com/news/2005/ ... cityregion

Comment

So having the OT in Eugene will be sort of Bach to the future? I can't get a Handel on this concept...

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                  So having the OT in Eugene will be sort of Bach to the future? I can't get a Handel on this concept...
                  One thing to note is that Clement will probably not be Chopin his stride.

Comment

Ha! Nice!! I hope we both don't get band [sic].

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                      Ha! Nice!! I hope we both don't get band [sic].
                      If you guys don't stop polluting my thread with this nonsense, then hopefully GH can orchestrate that. :lol:

Comment

We can discuss this when I get Bach from lunch. I usually get Bach around 2:00, but I'm Offenbach sooner.

Comment

This gives new meaning to dropping the baton--a real sour note.

Comment

Smiley or emoticon usage in modern times

Is this emoticon/smiley usage still valid :?:

17-Sep-82 15:15 Anthony Stentz at CMU-780G (*%) How about using * for good jokes and % for bad jokes? We could even use *% for jokes that are so bad, they're funny.
                            Tom Hyland:
                            "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                              I'm thinking/hoping that the outrageous prices Hammy was suggesting belong more in the rumor category than fact. But note that the OT goes head-to-head with the annual Oregon Bach Festival, which is a huugge affair. So rooms will indeed be at a premium.

http://www.registerguard.com/news/2005/ ... cityregion
                              The Bach Festival does not draw a large number of people from outside the area who are need of hotel rooms. It will have minimal impact on finding housing.

Regarding parking for spectators, there will be park-and-ride locations in Springfield and at Autzen Stadium. Park your car, catch a shuttle bus to within two blocks of Hayward Field.

Comment

Working...
                              X