X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IAAF Statement on Drummond

IAAF Statement re: Jon Drummond
    Sunday 24 August 2003
    In Heat 2 of the Quarter Final of the 100m, a false start was made by Dwight Thomas (JAM) with 0.087 sec. When the race was rerun, two further false starts were made by Jon Drummond (USA) with 0.052 sec and Assafa Powell (JAM) 0.086.

The accepted reaction time is 0.100 sec.

According to IAAF Rule 162.7

"Any competitor making a false start shall be warned. Only one false start per race shall be allowed without the disqualification of the athlete (S) making the false start. Any athlete making further false starts in the race shall be disqualified from the race.

When an approved false start detection equipment is in operation, the evidence of the equipment shall normally be accepted as conclusive by the starter."

Despite this rule being communicated to Jon Drummond, he refused to accept his disqualification and leave the track. A decision was then taken to re-run this heat after the last quarterfinal.

During this period, Drummond was able to speak to US Team and IAAF officials and agreed to accept the decision of the starter, according to IAAF rules. Neither Drummond nor Powell started the re-run quarterfinal.

Re: IAAF Statement on Drummond

I can only wonder, did Drummond think the IAAF was joking about the new rules? Ditto the Jamaican. Sorry, no sympathy here.

Comment

The Eurosport commentator indicated that Drummond was 'jiggling' (some word to that effect) his back foot on the block and that was what the mechanism detected. So has technology now precluded common sense? Couldn't they see he didn't jump, but the mere detection of movement is a DQ. Not happy.

Comment

>The Eurosport commentator indicated that Drummond
        >was 'jiggling' (some word to that effect) his
        >back foot on the block and that was what the
        >mechanism detected. So has technology now
        >precluded common sense? Couldn't they see he
        >didn't jump, but the mere detection of movement
        >is a DQ. Not happy.

I also heard something like that. Can someone who actually saw it comment?

It seems that the new rule may cut down on the number of false starts, but it seems that decisions like this will negate any effect of the new rule to keep things moving along and on time.

OTOH, it seems to have generated a lot of excitement in the stands.

Comment

i have just seen it live on the BBC, Michael Johnson used the words 'idiot runner' and could not contain his embarrassment, the footage [camera angles are everywhere] actually show Drummonds foot move along and off the block. His hands do not come up, but he certainly broke the rules. His tantrum afterwards brought him no credit in contrast to the reaction of the ypoung Jamaican [14 years younger] who showed dignity in his interview, Drummond predictably mugged, shouted, lay down on the track and took his singlet off at least twice...

Comment

An athlete is considered to have fasled started if his feet leave the blocks (or applies an inappropriate amount to pressure) 0.1 sec AFTER the gun has fired? I thought the race starts when the stater fires the gun? Rules are rules, but this seems puzzling.

Comment

The idea is that it is not humanly possible to react to the sound before 0.1s. You have to HEAR and then REACT.

Comment

The weird thing about automatic timing is that the timer starts off the electric signal, whereas the athletes have to start in reaction to the sound. The electric signal starts the clock before the athletes can even hear the sound.

Comment

"Drummond predictably mugged, shouted, lay down on the track and took his singlet off at least twice..."

Until someone at the top in the USA has the balls to DQ Drummond and whomever else make an ass out of him/herself wearing USA colors, well...

Please no more posts on why T&F isn't as popluar in the USA as some would like. After the 2000 Oly jackass 4x100m team embarrassed us all, here we go again. Drumond would be O.U.T. for an Oly birth if I were in charge. Then again in this day and age apparantly enough people don't care about representing the USA - just themselves. Thanks the man upstairs for Allen Johnson and the like.

Comment

>Until someone at the top in the USA
                    >has the balls to DQ Drummond and whomever else
                    >make an ass out of him/herself wearing USA
                    >colors, well...

Well, the day you get fired from your job for no apparent reason, don't come cryin' here, bubs.

I might be a little miffed at JD if T&F was really a pro sport, but it is not. As long as the IAAF keeps up its chattel slavery program of dangling only prize money in front of the thousands of athletes at the Worlds, I'm pulling for the athletes all the way.

Then again, I guess you would go away quietly if your only chance at a big payday was yanked from you.

Comment

Regardless of JD's opinion, he acted like a spoiled jerk, plain and simple. He did not act like a professional and his actions are an utter embarrassment to the entirety of the US and its TNF Team. Based upon the conduct agreement that every US athlete signs, JD should be suspended from representing the US for at least a year.

The rule of the start is that once in the set position you must remain motionless with the feet in contact with the blocks. I cannot vouch for the reading of the blocks, but the reading says he moved his feet. If the starter doesn't stand them up, he's screwed and its just too damn bad. The rule regarding 2nd false starts being DQ'd must be clarified to state whether all violaters in one particular instance will go, or just the first person. I believe they intended for all to go, but it needs to be worded exactly that way to not cause confusion.

Comment

gm -

"Well, the day you get fired from your job for no apparent reason, don't come cryin' here, bubs."

Been there, done that! Didn't revert to acting like my 5 year old.

Seriously, have you seen the tape? It was QUITE apparent that he screwed up. Not saying he gained an advantage. Just once it would be nice to see Drummond carry himself ON the track as graciously as he carries himself OFF the track.

Comment

>I might be a little miffed at JD
                          >if T&F was really a pro sport, but it is not. As
                          >long as the IAAF keeps up its chattel slavery
                          >program of dangling only prize money in front of
                          >the thousands of athletes at the Worlds, I'm
                          >pulling for the athletes all the way.

Exactly my reaction when I was watching the tall foreheads in the stands from the IAAF with some very furrowed brows. Not that they would have personally done anything about it.

Comment

>Seriously, have you seen the tape?

Yes.

>It
                            >was QUITE apparent that he screwed up

Not to Ovett and the CBC announcers.

Comment

This was the strangest event I have ever witnessed. Tonight on CBC they had a 2 hour telecast. 30 minutes of it followed the JD incident. This is what I saw from the replays. After the first false start, the field was issued the warning. The second false start, the official red flagged lane 3 , the Jamac. sprinter. JD was clapping his hands, and was walking back to his blocks. Then the offical red flagged Drummond. The replay showed Drummonds right foot clearly twitching prior to the start. Clearly he did not leave the blocks first, lane3 and lane6 reacted to the gun the fastest. JD was lane 4. The thinking is his twitching foot caused the sensor to record a false start of faster than .1 second , which is the threshold. JD recorded a .053 , the Jamac was .08x . Thus both lane 3 and 4 were disqualified. They ran heat 3 and 4 , then came back to the heat 2 . M Greene was shown limping after his run as well. cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X