Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: IAAF Statement on Drummond

Doesn't M. Greene limp after every race?

Comment

Drummond did not remain motionless after called to set position (foot flinching). Therefore he was dq'ed. Ditto for the Jamaican. Get them off the track and run the race. It's all about trying to beat the starter, not reacting to the gun.

Comment

Drummond got screwed. CBC showed the start about six times. yes he moved his foot just a little bit but it didn't appear to come off the block at all. He was actually about 3rd out of the blocks at the start. However, Drummond needs to disciplined in some way. His antics were completely out of line. Yes, he was screwed, but the IAAF is not going to reverse a decision like that on the spot. He should have left the track after he went over to the officials. The Jamaican handled it with much more class. He completely screwed over many of the athletes in his race and the races after that by causing such a huge delay. Then I COULD NOT BELIEVE the crowd. They would not quiet down for about 5-10 more minutes and let the race be started. And there was even a French athlete in the race. The whole thing was completely unfair to the athletes and the IAAF completely screwed up.

Comment

Let's see if I've got this right-
          Drummond screwed the other athletes and the following races, the whole thing was unfair, and the IAAF completely screwed up.

How would YOU have run the thing if you were the head Meet Referee, given the rules you're sworn to uphold?

No cheating and getting off easy by saying it's a dumb rule so you don't want to answer.

If the IAAF had Drummond physically removed just 5 seconds after he refused to leave, and proceeded to run off all subsequent heats "on time", what do you think, would that do it? The crowd's reaction might have been totally different than what actually occured today. Other athletes would not have been 'screwed' by the disruption.

Comment

First reaction: so much for thoughts that the French hate Americans just because of Shrub's bad politics. 50,000-strong the hoots and whistles rained down on the officials. Huge statement of solidarity for Drummond.

Now, as to the facts of the matter: yes, by the letter of the law, Drummond was in the wrong, and should have been bounced. But I do think the blocks could be better engineered, so as to read actual forward motion, of which it APPEARED that Drummond exhibited none. Multiple slo-mos in the stadium (which I'm sure you saw on TV) (well, in Canada) made it clear that he was locked in the blocks (in a forward-motion sense) long after others were gone. Absolutely no material advantage. If you've ever stood behind the blocks when world-class sprinters are ready to go, which I've done many times, you'd be amazed at how much involuntary twitching goes on.

I don't think Drummond realized he had moved at all, and the videos only backed that up. For that simple reason, I don't fault him for his reaction. So, with the crowd behind him, he did what he thought was right (even though he was wrong).

Officials took the stupid route. Even though they clarified after World Indoor (where they let a Brit run "under protest") so it can't happen that way, they simply should have let the race be run w/ Drummond in place. Then battle out the bullshit under the stands in private.

I watched the whole affair w/ Donovan Bailey (and Ian Stewart, whilst I'm dropping names) and he was nearly rolling on the floor w/ laughter at Drummond's antics.

Comment

>Officials took the stupid route. Even though
              >they clarified after World Indoor (where they
              >let a Brit run "under protest") so it can't
              >happen that way, they simply should have let the
              >race be run w/ Drummond in place. Then battle
              >out the bullshit under the stands in private

That's a media/public relations consultant answer Garry!
              What you're basically saying is that rules should be modified on a case-by-case situational basis so that 'presentation' looks smooth and polished, and the need for the latter trumps the need for integrity and consistency.

If the IAAF hadn't allowed that stupid precedent at World Indoor to begin with, Drummond wouldn't have got it in his skull that he may have a route to pursue. Clear, consistent enforcement of rules over every meet the entire season is what could have avoided the ugly demonstration. Every athlete would have known exactly what to expect, and would have trained for it.
              That USATF chose to run their championships under the old rules puts a major part of the blame squarely in their lap too. They insist on trying to replicate the Olympic rounds in the Trials, arguing that it's good preparation, but refuse to use a significant new IAAF rule in the national championship meet, in spite of the need to train their sprinters in what to expect at the WC?!!! Amazing. What happened to Drummond is exactly what USATF deserves (the DQ, not the tantrum exhibition). Poor planning. Poor preparation. Poor communication. They really have no excuse. They chose to play ostrich and hope the rule would 'go away'. Well it didn't go away.

Comment

Read the rule closely-

IAAF Rule 162.7

"Any competitor making a false start shall be warned. Only one false start per race shall be allowed without the disqualification of the athlete (S) making the false start. Any athlete making further false starts in the race shall be disqualified from the race.

When an approved false start detection equipment is in operation, the evidence of the equipment shall normally be accepted as conclusive by the starter."

"...shall normally be accepted as conclusive by the starter." The important word in that sentence is "normmally." The started does not have to abide by the results of the detection equipment. He/she can use their own judgement, which is what should have happened. The officials relied completely on the equipment instead of making a determination based on what they saw and what the video showed.

Comment

I've seen the close-up slow motion replays, I reviewed the scientific literature on reaction times, I seen 10 minutes of summary footage of Drummond, I read the offical IAAF statement, I've read the IAAF rule:

I've gotta say I am with Drummond.

The IAAF are at fault for:
                  The break timing rule is faulty to start with.
                  The false start rules are faulty.
                  The decision making process on the day was faulty.

I find it hard to see it any other way. Drummond was shafted by officialdom and stood up for what was (and will be proven in time) to be right. The more athletes like him the better - the sport is not geared for the athletes but to make it convenient for officials. It is about time officials took a back seet and left the action and publicity for the athletes. I say good on you for taking a stand John.

Hopefully now they will change the darn rules to benifit athletes (or they can actually implement the rules "with the intent that they were written" E.G. Rules are to make it fair for the competition - clearly no-one was disadvataged by this start - Drummon was not even in the top three off the blocks!

Comment

>That's a media/public relations
                    >consultant answer Garry!

No it isn't. The media types likely loved it.

Comment

>Drummon
                      >was not even in the top three off the blocks!

I thought the same thing too until I watched a taped version of the CBC repeat this morning frame by frame and it looks like his foot was second out.

Comment

And we yanks get to wait till ESPN deigns to show it. Sounds like Drummond got screwed but now I just want to see it myslef. It will be interesting to see how people take sides in this. JD thinks USATF will back him, but I bet some will see his behavior as 'embarassing.'

Comment

Here is the entirety of what the USATF had to say about the incident. It's like nothing out of the ordinary happened. Guess what-the "real" sports that the "masses" watch are all over this kind of thing. To just ignore it maybe gives us a hint as to why there isn't much media coverage of track. Bets on how much coverage ESPN2 gives it on Tuesday?

"Jon Drummond won his first-round race in 10.22 ut was called for a false start and disqualified from the second round after a protest."

http://www.usatf.org/news/showRelease.a ... 8-24-2.xml

Comment

Hey CBC viewer -- did the extend the broadcast and show the men's 10k, or will it be ont tonight? I taped the 8:00 to 10:00 show and was dismayed when the tape quit before the show did!

My personal reaction (not that I think anyone cares) is that Drummond did not gain any advantage by flinching, and so he did not violate the spirit of the rule. I'm not sure he'd have been called without the block sensors (and I'm also not sure there would be a need for the new rule without them, either). Does anyone think it's odd to cite two athletes for false starts simultaneously?

It's interesting that the fans have a different sense of right and wrong than the IAAF does. The normally polite Canadians brought Yegerova to tears two years ago, and the French definitely sided with Drummond yesterday. For what it's worth, Macrozanaris thought JD got screwed.

Comment

>Hey CBC viewer -- did the extend the broadcast
                              >and show the men's 10k, or will it be ont
                              >tonight? I taped the 8:00 to 10:00 show and was
                              >dismayed when the tape quit before the show
                              >did!

No and who knows. Hope so.

Comment

The CBC generally doesn't miss much. I doubt they'd take the effort to show the entire women's 10k (where I correctly picked all three medalists!) and just dump the men's race!

As bad as Don Whitman is, at least they really make an effort to show the action. (And they brought on Steve Ovett, too! God help us!)

Comment

Working...
                                X