Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tafnut
    Isn't the 'Alas, alack, woe is me' shtick the Fleet Street standard reaction to everything about sport (English football is in the loo!)? The French do it too (but not the Germans or Italians as much).
    Note that all the major doom & gloom quotes are made by an Italian.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
      That must explain why the Raider games are always blacked out.
      The Raiders have the additional boat anchor of having left the area and returned. There are many ex-fans who will never come back after that.

Comment

As a former Raider season ticket holder who didn't come back, part of that was because they broke our hearts on the way out, but also for a lot of people it's the stupid PSL program they put in place. Which eliminated many of the bedrock families who used to fill the joint, opening the door for all the nutjobs just to walk in on game day. Unfixable situation.

Comment

Originally posted by dj
          Then look at the great meets that have been lost: Cologne, Bern and Koblenz, just for starters.
          cologne was a great meet with many wrs & near wrs

koblenz - i think ovett set a wr there - any other great performances on it ?

bern ?
          that one i don't remember - any great performances there ?

Comment

Bern was a second-tier meet (and one that I've listed in the past as close to favorite venue in Europe) that while not having "great" performances had no shortage of good ones. I remember Kostadinova jumping 6-8 1/4 (2.04) there in '86. A mark that would still highlight many a good meet. And Coe ran the 1500.

Another super-major loss: Nice (think Cram/Aouita WR racing)

Comment

So do you think the IAAF's new structure of 25 'prime' meets in two levels (which I assume to be simply GL and GP) is an admission of defeat, or a consolidation of power into a more effective (and marketable) entity?

Comment

New names for old toys.

Comment

The Raiders have the additional boat anchor of having left the area and returned. There are many ex-fans who will never come back after that.[/quote]

And with the influx of new "fans", the traditional base, blue collar guys, don't come anymore. Combination of prices, PSLs and the jerks.

On Koblenz, Moses 47.02 was pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                    So do you think the IAAF's new structure of 25 'prime' meets in two levels (which I assume to be simply GL and GP) is an admission of defeat, or a consolidation of power into a more effective (and marketable) entity?
                    Ask me again after the Council meeting in Moscow next weekend.

Comment

As I recall, the Stanford Stadium track was never reconfigured from the 440-yard days.

Comment

Working...
                      X