Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track pics in new Sports Illustrated

Check out pages 12 and 13, collage of photos by just-deceased Jerry Cooke. Big photo of 1964 Olympic 100 final, plus picture of SI cover from 1962 of Igor Ter-Ovanesian.

I remember both pictures very well. I always loved the Bob Hayes photo with the runners in the shade, the crowd in the sun, and Hayes winning so easily. I almost went to the Tokyo Olympics (as a spectator) and I always regretted not going. I was lucky enough to have seen Hayes run and Igor Ter-Ovanesyan jump. Not a bad picture of Cathy Rigby on page 13.

Comment

I know I must have seen the BH and Ter-O pix before, but they are both masterpieces of aesthetics in athletics (oooo - there's a cool phrase). I certainly did a double-take on the Rigby photo. :shock: I'd like to say something about her form, but it would be criticized by the PC police.

The issue has been sitting on my desk unopened for 2 days - thanks for the heads-up :!:

Comment

Don't have it yet (usually comes on Thurs), hell, the New Yorker beat it this week. And the Nov TFN hasn't drifted in yet either :-( I feel like the cat staring at the empty food dish.

I assume that the Rigby picture is the nude on the beam. Fond memories of that photo. In '64, I was in the US Army in Germany, no SI (couldn't afford it) and I had never heard of TFN then.

Comment

Nice action shot of Bobby Fischer.

Comment

SI took an unbelievable amount of flak for the Rigby shot. Nobody would blink twice today (there's more nudity than that on network television now) but back in '72 that was so avant garde that people were stunned.

Comment

SI took an unbelievable amount of flak for the Rigby shot. Nobody would blink twice today (there's more nudity than that on network television now) but back in '72 that was so avant garde that people were stunned.

It would be a lot neater shot if taken from the other side of the bar.

Comment

I did a google image search to see if I could find a version of this Cathy Rigby pic, but all I found was a load of pics of an old gymnast dressed as Peter Pan (?!).

Comment

Comment

Working...
                  X