Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Larry Wade being suspended for steroids now?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larry Wade being suspended for steroids now?

Wonder why this is being publically announced a year and a half after his positive test result ? Why the long delay ?

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,86 ... l?from=rss

Easy answer: first-rate lawyering. (And some superb security maintenance by somebody.)

Comment

That news story says, in part <<Wade, the 2002 US 60m indoor hurdles champion, forfeits all competitive results and winnings since May 2004. >>

Note that under T&FN's stiffer rules for Rankings, we kill his whole '04 season. So he's no longer No. 8 in the world for that year. Ron Bramlett and Charles Allen each move up a spot, and Redelen dos Santos slips in as No. 10.

edited to note that Anwar Moore is guy who moves in from No. 11 in the U.S. Ranks.

ps--my wise-guy "lawyering" response aside, I too am wondering why there was no public announcement until now. As I understood the process, as soon as there was a positive B, there's supposed to be a USADA release on it.

Comment

I have no idea about what details or issues where presented in the arbitration case, but this is not BALCO or even something like the non-analytical positive they are trying to use with Gaines and Montgomery. How the heck does something like this take more that say six months. Is it completely impossible to write in the the arbitration/appeal rules hard limits on the amount of time certain phases of the process are allowed to take. I can only guess that much like Regina Jacobs that Wades legal team possibly challenged the entire arbitration process in court?

Comment

USADA has a fairly strict timeframe for ajudicating its part of the deal (no idea if that was followed in this case, since it was all done behind the scenes). But aribtration hearings are a little trickier, because you have to find a timeframe that's mutually acceptable to both sides of the case. So even if there's no actual stalling by either side (again, I have no idea what went on in this specific case), you can indeed go a long time before you get to a sit-down-at-the-table date that's acceptable to both sides.

Then there's the problem with documentation, as cited in the October issue of the magazine, where CAS itself delayed a verdict in the Gaines/Montgomery hearing because after post-hearing submission of documents (presumably by both sides), they found themselves with 7000pp (!!!!) of relevant files to consider. (clearly the word "relevant" probably belongs in quotation marks there)

Comment

Very disappointing. Wade is from a small town in Texas just down the road from the one I grew up in, one that we competed against frequently, so I was excited when he advanced into the upper echelons. Sometimes it just seems like there's just no point in having heroes anymore.
            "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

Originally posted by trackstar
              ...Sometimes it just seems like there's just no point in having heroes anymore.
              Do what I did 30-odd years ago: just take the position that EVERYBODY is using and then you're never disappointed! (much as this kind of thinking depresses everybody--including me)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                Do what I did 30-odd years ago: just take the position that EVERYBODY is using and then you're never disappointed! (much as this kind of thinking depresses everybody--including me)
                That's one of the reasons I've taking a new liking to high school T&F. While I know that HS sports are not totally clean, I don't think they are as systematically dirty as pro sports.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  I'm of the opinion that the awareness here regarding the level of the use of PED's by elite track and field athletes has skyrocketed. I can remember awhile back when it seemed as though most here would be unwilling to make such an assumption has gh has suggested above. Dylan may described it best when he sang, "times they are a changin'."

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    I was not quite that desperate, because, after all, what's the point, if they are ALL cheats? But I did have the sense that if something seemed to good to be 'true', it probably wasn't - which is just as sad. If I found out that ALL my heroes from the 68 Olympics were doped, I'd be heart-broken (hint - hint, DON'T TELL ME!!).

Comment

Since steroids weren't specifically illegal in '68, all your heroes are innocent (as are your '64 heroes from the same boat)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        Since steroids weren't specifically illegal in '68, all your heroes are innocent (as are your '64 heroes from the same boat)
                        I remember reading (here?) that Matson dabbled, but didn't like them - do we know who tried 'em and liked 'em?

Comment

It appears that one reason Wade's case went subrosa was because he passed on any hearing at the national level and went straight to CAS.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            While I assume that it is possible too do this purely as a fan, even though for me that would result in a HUGE reduction in my interest in the sport. How do you resolve that attitude with promotion of the sport, particularly when the only way the sport gets the time of day in the USA is with SUPERSTARS.

Comment

Anyone else care to comment on this line of thinking.

Comment

Working...
                              X